Hole ? in Bladder/HELP | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hole ? in Bladder/HELP Hole ? in Bladder/HELP

Unread 06-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Hole ? in Bladder/HELP

Hi ladies,

I had my LAVH 3 weeks ago for pelvic congestion and SEVERE vulvar pain. After the op my bladder was killing me and I was peeing out air. I was discharged against my wishes and went right back to the ER b/c the bladder pain was so severe. A CT scan showed air in my bladder.

SO...I had a cystogram and cystoscopy which showed that my bladder had been sliced. A thin mucous membrane holds it together but the wall of the bladder is gone in an area about the size of a nickel at the base of my bladder. I was scheduled for surgery that Monday and they kept me in the hospital over the weekend for pain control and surg prep. I had 9 enemas and then a Barium enema ( all with the hyst stitches, bladder hole and catheter...nightmare). Then the urologist never showed up for surgery.

She came in Tues am and told me she didn't want to hurt me, she only had 5 years of experience and we were the same age, and she was too busy to operate anyway. She told me to go home and selfcatheterize until I could see her at her next available appt in 6 weeks.

I freaked out. I already have spent over $800,000 in claims to treat the vulvar pain and pelvic congestion over these past 9 years and this was the last straw.

They did a voiding trial and praise God that with lots of effort and pain I can pee on my own. My doc put me on Ditropan which helps the achy bladder some BUT it really feels like a muscle spasm when I pee - very painful. My PCP switched mew to Urispas, but only gave me a 5 day supply. Is this only a temproary med or could I use it as a maintenance med?

The Urispas seemed to work a little better but peeing and just resting still hurts my bladder.

I will see a new urologist on the 30th, in 2 weeks. The one I saw in the hospital was too horrible for me to followup with. Unfortunately, the way our stupid medical system works is that only the hospital has the test results and it takes 6 weeks to transcribe so my new doc won't have the results of the cystogram.

I don't understand the hole in the bladder. On one hand it was a medical emergency, on the other they call it a diverticulum which they commonly don't treat and are usually asymptomatic. My gyn said it looked like it had been surgically cut - the wall is just missing. He said it was probably done 9 years ago in my Csection b/c it looked healed over, but perhaps he is just covering himself.

Perhaps this hole in my bladder is causing my labial, vulvar pain. The swollen labia is just an inch below this hole. It would be a miracle if they could fix this hole and fix my disabling vulvar pain. On the other hand if this is a mistake from the hyst then it would be an awful fix. I hear the operation for the bladder repair is a bikini cut and 3 weeks at home with the catheter. Not the best situation for a young lady disabled with vulvar pain.

PLEASE give me some advice. How do I find out from my gyn if he cut it in the hyst? How do I deal with the bladder pain - achy, sore area above my pubic bone with painful spasm like feeling during urination? Is Urispas a med that I can take continually?

THANKS
Sandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Hole ? in Bladder/HELP

Sandi,
You poor thing. It sounds like you've really been through a lot. Although it doesn't seem like it now, it really was a good thing that the inexperienced DR decided not to operate. Seeing the new DR sounds like a good route to go. My bladder was punctured during surgery, so I can relate to the spasms.

As for your questions, I have no personal experience with this, but did a little research for you. I found an internet information site on Urispas that says it can be used as a maintenance med.
Click here to go to that site. That should help some with the spasms until you can find a permanent solution. Call your DR and ask him to prescribe more, at least until your 2-week appointment with the urologist.

As far as finding out if your GYN cut it during surgery, you can obtain a copy of your operative report by going to the hospital and requesting it. That assumes you live in the U.S. Usually you go to the medical records department, show your ID, fill out a form and they will print it for you. Some hospitals take down your info and then mail it to you. Usually it is free or a minimal charge.

I pray you are able to find a better explanation of where to go from here at your appointment.
Ashley
Unread 06-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Hole ? in Bladder/HELP

Sandi,

I am sorry to hear your story!! My bladder was cut accidentally during my hyst. As a result, I ended up with a fistula, where urine leaked continually out of my vagina, until it was repaired. I also had air coming out my urethra, before the fistula was fixed.

I am not saying I think you have a fistula, because you did not mention any leakage. However, I would suggest that you find a urologist who has had experience in complications from hysterectomies, or a gynecologic urologist. I am from a small town, and ended up having to travel a bit to get to a good doctor, but you really want to get to the best doctor you can find. My uro is associated with a teaching hospital, and the level of care was so much better than at our local regional hospital.

I agree that it was a wise decision for the other dr to not treat you; you want someone with lots of experience.

As far as getting your medical records, it takes several weeks after they are transcribed, if you are getting them for your own personal use. I don't know if they can get them faster if they are going to another doctor. I was at two different hospitals, but had to pay about $75 to each hospital for my records. There are different rules, too, about getting them. The local hospital I had to go in person to fill out a form; at the hospital in the city, I could fax it to them. In any case, they were quite an interesting read!

I took Ditropan XL for about 6 months, and believe Urispas can also be used as a maintenance drug.

Good luck on your journey to wellness; know that we are here for you!!

Many, many s,
Dee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register