Now I'm mad and confused... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Now I'm mad and confused... Now I'm mad and confused...

Unread 06-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Now I'm mad and confused...

I had a hysterectomy in May for cervical cancer. I have read and was told that sugar feeds cancer and that my low carb diet was great....
Now I am mad. I picked up a book called 'The Fat Flush Foods'
It says that 'meat,onions,beans, lentils and yogurt' contain L-Methionine. Then it says "Studies have shown that cancer patients should not take L-Menthionine because of it's tendency to feed tumors." Hello!!! What the heck should I eat? I'm all protein here and losing excess weight like crazy. Now what? I am sure that in the quote, they were refering to the supplement, but I eat lots of eggs and meat and yogurt. Am I feeding cancer? Very disturbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2005, 04:27 PM

s kellyeanne

I know how confusing it all can be......

I don't know that there's any right or wrong way, other than the sugar thing seems to be pretty universal.

I'm just trying to eat healthy (actually I'll be starting that on Monday) :>

I've always drank alot of water, but the sugar is my downfall. Have you asked your gyn/onc what their opinion is?

What about scheduling an appointment with a nutritionist?

I hope you find the right plan for you. Keep us posted on what you find out. I'd be very interested.

We do have a resident "expert" here at Cancer Concerns for nutrition. Her name is Sirensong and feel free to PM her and she will send you a summary of all of the research she has done on cancer reoccurence and nutrition.

Unread 06-19-2005, 06:12 PM

I think that if your asked 100 different people their opinion you would get 100 different answers.

Yes, I know that eating healthy is the right thing to do but sometimes even the healthy things seem not to be right.

I went to a nutritionist after I had finished chemo, almost 3 years ago. She praised the Weight Watchers diet and said that it is the best well balanced diet. She also suggested I take a 3 mushroom pill. ****ake and another two combined. It actually did nothing.

Rosalie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2005, 07:18 PM

Hi kelly!

I just wanted to recommend 2 great books. If you can, you should go and visit an integrative medicine facility. They do a profile of you and the treatments that you have had and they will tell you exactly what nutrients, vitamins, and foods you should be eating based on your specific situation.

Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Dr. Quillian -- easy explanation of what "feeds" cancer...also in the back of the book it lists integrative facilities across the country. Also....

8 Weeks to Optimum Health by Dr. Andrew Weil..Excellent book for all to read..and explains other hazards in our environment that you should avoid as well.

Seems like everything today is linked to cancer somehow, but these I have found these 2 books to be a great resource! Let us know how it goes!

Maybel
Unread 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM

Maybel, The book 1st you recomended, Beating Cancer with Nutrition, will be on my shopping list tomorrow-Thanks.
Basket, if I still have questions after the book, I will contact my doctor and maybe ask for a referal to a nutritionist.
Rosalie, What is the mushroom pill?
I have been doing so well with the weight loss...and to read that everything I am eating is feeding cancer is pretty disheartening.
Unread 06-20-2005, 11:04 AM

You know, the interesting thing about nutrition, is that it should not be perceived as a "one size fits all." I have read recent articles that are beginning to show that while the traditions of healthy eating do have their benefits, it is impossible at this point in time to determine exactly which foods and their amounts and preparation will have the most positive impact on any particular individual's health because of how those foods may interact with their unique genetic makeup.

For example, most individuals who use olive oil in cooking will respond favorably, in terms of their cholesterol. However, there are some individuals who actually need a certain amount of polyunsaturated fat in order to keep their cholesterol in good standing. Say what?!

And there's a published, 20-year study that recently showed that what may be the defining difference between individuals when it comes to cholesterol and heart disease isn't in the numbers, but in the size of the cholesterol particles, and this is determined by your genes vs. your diet. Smaller particles stick easier to the artery walls, while larger particles are more likely to pass through.

We do not have all of the answers when it comes to diet. So that's why I believe that all we can do is the best we know how and try not to stress ourselves out over all of the incidentals. Remember when eating eggs wasn't good for you, but now they recommend about three a week?

Be well -- Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register