If you over do it, wont your body tell you so? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If you over do it, wont your body tell you so? If you over do it, wont your body tell you so?

Unread 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
If you over do it, wont your body tell you so?

Im less than 2 weeks out from my TAH BSO and feel WONDERFUL. Besides the big pirelli I sport in front I feel fine. No pain what-so-ever. Obviously if I push on my belly it hurts but otherwise I feel good.

I was up at the crack of dawn this morning cooking the husband breakfast (while he was in the hospital being fitted with a boot cast.), doing laundry, making a big dinner etc. I barely sat down for a minute today. My husband kept yapping at me but he has a broken foot so Im trying to do as much as I can.

If I had over done it wouldnt I be paying for it now? Im just feeling so good. At the same time I dont want to put a damper on my recovery.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2005, 09:42 PM

You know how you feel. You are very young and maybe strong. I think you should sincerely try to follow your doctor's advice, but enjoy yourself too. Doing what makes you feel good, within reason, probably speeds your recovery along.
We all come to surgery in varying states of fitness.
I'm almost twice your age and if lifting could kill I would be dead. If I could have avoided it though, I would have.
Unread 06-19-2005, 09:57 PM
only know what I know

I don't know if your body will tell you immediately if you have overdone.

I do know that my doc's written orders said to recline with my feet up for at least an hour in the morning and in the afternoon every day for several weeks. Also said light housework, and to remember my body needed time to heal. My doc was very liberal, and said driving was OK after 1 week, step were ok, hot tubs at two weeks were ok, swimming was ok at 4 weeks, so it wasn't like he was overly restrictive.

I was very active, but still stuck to that advice. I didn't have complications, and by 4 to 8 weeks was training for a tri-athalon with swimming a mile, running and biking tons. I felt great.

Some women will do damage by overdoing, and not following the doctor's advice. Some won't have any problems no matter what they do. The problem is, you don't know which category you fall in until you have done damage. Then it is too late. Why do more than you are advised to anyhow? To prove something? To be superwoman? Why not take that time to relax, think about your life, and let others pamper and help you out? It gives them a chance to help you out and be on the giving end of things.

I am glad you have been able to do so much right now-and with your DH needing a cast, it sounds like you are needed.

Try and rest a little each day-give your body a good chance to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2005, 10:07 PM

It's great that you're feeling so good. I tried to err on the side of caution for the most part. But, when you are active... you tend to push it and maybe recover faster than others who weren't as active to begin with. I always have a tendency to push myself, but was careful to rest if I felt I'd worked a little hard. I wouldn't risk heavy lifting and major chores though those first six weeks. I took the doctors orders verbatim.

Congratulations!!! Hoping your recovery continues to be steady!

Dylli
Unread 06-20-2005, 05:42 AM

Your body WILL tell you when you are overdoing things, but not always right at that moment. There were several times I overdid it early in my recovery and felt nothing while I was doing things or even later that day. But boy oh boy did I know it the next morning.
It's normal once you get past the initial pain from the surgery - and for many of us feeling so much better than we did with the pain we had before surgery - but you still have hundreds of stitches healing on the inside no matter how good you feel.
I don't think there's anything wrong with cooking and all that, but please, make sure you take some time, several times a day, to just get off your feet and rest. Your body will appreciate it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register