cuff ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-20-2005, 11:24 PM
cuff ??

I finally got into to see my gyn today. She did a vaginal and rectum exam. The vaginal exam was really easy, not like before surgery. But the rectal (OUCH!).
Anyway, she is sending me to get more tests done, ultra sound and more blood work and possibly a colonosopy.
She mentioned my vaginal cuff may be abscessed. On the papers I need to take to hospital mentions that if it is abcessed, for them to go on and drain it. I dont know anything about this. Was wondering if any sisters had this done and does it hurt?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
48, LAVH, BSO, huge cysts on cervix, fibroids,hemorrhaging, anemia

I've had a vaginal cuff infection since week 1 post op and am now just shy of my 8th week. The doc says it's almost gone, but some days it doesn't feel like it. If I over due it even the littlest bit, it starts burning again. But I can't even imagine what a cuff abscess feels like. Yowww! Sorry, but I'm not much help past the cuff infection experience. Hopefully, some of the other sisters can let you know what to expect. I'd like to know how it all turns out for you though, so keep us posted okay? All the best!
Cindy in CA
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:24 AM
cuff ??

Hi Silver!

I have had a vaginal cuff abscess and it's not fun is it? I'm glad to hear your doc is on top of things as mine wasn't. My abscess got pretty bad and I ended up in the castle for 9 days 12 weeks post op. I have a lot of posts about this if you want to do a search on "cuff abscess".

As far as the procedure for the drain....well, that will depend on how large and how bad the abscess is. There could very well be more than one. ( I had a lot of little pockets also) When I had mine what they did is put me in an MRI machine at the castle. There is a radiologist and a surgen along with a nurse. While your lower abs/pelvic area is in the machine ( so the doc can see inside) he inserted a long needle attached to a real skinny tube that had a canister attached to it. The doc goes to the abscess, pokes the needle into the abscess and ***** the infection out. You are sedated for this but not asleep. They left a plastic tube with a bulb at the end inside me for the largest abscess to continue draining. This was in for about 1 week. I stayed in the castle during this time as they wanted to make sure the drain was draining and no infection was leaking into other parts of my tummy.

the procedure did hurt....I won't lie. But it wasn't the needle going in that hurt it was the abscess that hurt inside. As soon as the procedure was done I felt tons better but a little sore. I may have had pain during the procedure because I had so many and had gone so long with my doc not believing that I was in pain. It took six months and three other docs to convince my GYN there was something wrong. I guess the fever of 106 was a clue eh?

Don't be scared.....I remember the nurse telling me for most people this was a simple procedure. X-ray or CT will tell them if you have an abscess. It it is small it may not show up at first. Mine were huge and I had a lot of little ones that had grown off of that one.

I hope this helps...please keep us posted and let us know if this is what they found.

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:52 AM
cuff ??

Thanks so much for your replies and advice. Now at least I know what to expect. Ill keep you informed.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register