booze makes me sick now | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

booze makes me sick now booze makes me sick now

Unread 06-21-2005, 02:36 PM
booze makes me sick now

Hi Ladies,
Just wondering if anyone besides me has experienced an adverse reaction to alcohol after their hyst.
I like wine with a meal and sometimes a beer on a hot day. Since my operation it makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. Very odd indeed. I tried it last week again and after a couple of swallows I felt ill again. I'm not on any meds now as it's 5 weeks post-op for me.
I can live without it....and I surely don't need the extra calories. I'm puzzled. Could it be the anesthesia......in my system or something?

Your experiences and/or thoughts are appreciated.

HJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
booze makes me sick now

Hi, I am many weeks post op now.
Had my hyst. on 4/11 and hardly posting anymore but your message caught my eye.
Since my surgery I have lost weight and my taste for some foods that are nutritionally of little value, such as alcohol, gummy bears, (which used to be a grocery list staple for me) and whitebreads, just don't hold any appeal to me anymore.

I have stopped questioning it and now stroll by the candy in the market and pass up the beer after dinner.

Life is still good!

No more pain.
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
booze makes me sick now

I too have found that things I likes before, hold no appeal now. I don't drink alcohol, (never have), but I am the same about soda. I loved my diet coke, well, not now. It gives me a stomache ache and I feel like I need to be sick. And the gas!!? WOW!!! Like you said maybe it is a blessing in disguise. We don't need the calories or the effects of it so there. We will just have to find another vice. Like......Chinese food?!

Sheri

TVH 05/04, left the ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
booze makes me sick now

I found that alcohol was a hot flash trigger for me--and I enjoy a drink now and then, but the "price" was just too high! Now that I am on my estrogen patch, I can have a drink or two without fear of triggering hours of miserable hot flashes.

isewquilts
Unread 06-21-2005, 03:29 PM
booze makes me sick now

Yeah I used to LUVLUVLUV soda!!!
Can't drink it.
Don't want it anymore.
Unread 06-21-2005, 04:31 PM
booze makes me sick now

Prior to surgery, I enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner. I will be 4 weeks post-op on Friday. I tried a glass of my favorite red on Friday and got the worst headache. I tried a glass of my favorite white on Sunday and could only tolerate two sips.

I don't know the reason; my guess is Dr.'s wouldn't either. I think it's all part of the journey and will probably change over time
Unread 06-21-2005, 04:35 PM
booze makes me sick now

You know this post really caught my eye. I am 3 months post now and I used to be able to hang out with the gang at Sunday Brunch and throw back some champagne. Now I hate it. It makes me sick. I thought it was something wrong with me but like SgS1 says, I'll just have to find another vise. But Lord knows I don't need the Chinse Food.
Unread 06-21-2005, 04:51 PM
booze makes me sick now

This post really caught my eye, too. I usually really enjoy wine. I'm now almost 3 weeks post-op. A few days after surgery, I caught a whiff of some wine, and had to ask for the glass to be moved to where I couldn't smell it, because I just couldn't stand the odour! After I stopped taking any meds, I did have a glass with dinner and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to have any right now. More for everyone else, I guess, and I certainly don't need the calories.
It must be the anaesthetic.
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:17 PM
booze makes me sick now

Count me in! I took my Dad (and Mom) to our family's favorite Sunday brunch for Father's Day. They serve the BEST champagne you've ever wanted to drink. One sip and all I could do was look for somewhere to spit it out. Didn't find anywhere of course so I had to choke it down. I spent the rest of the meal looking longingly at the glass.

My fave is a good frozen margarita...hate to spend the money on it if I'm just going to toss it after one sip though. Oh well, lots of money and calories saved!
Unread 06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
booze makes me sick now

Thanks everybody.......I knew I probably wasn't the only one that had this reaction. It's finally summer in Maine and I usually welcome the warm weather with a gin and tonic or a cold beer. Now it's like the old pregnancy days of being repulsed by some things. I'm gaining weight anyway so not having the alcohol is a good idea.......I do miss my little buzz though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register