Why no shower????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why no shower????? Why no shower?????

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Why no shower?????

I am currently 6 days post-op and doing very well at home. I am not taking pain meds other than Tylenol and Motrin and having to keep myself from doing too much too soon. Here is my question, there seems to be a lot of difference in doctors' recommendations about taking showers. My doctor says no shower until after the staples come out next week. As I read here, many people talk about taking a shower before they leave the hospital. I had a TAH with 22 staples, maybe that is the difference. Does anyone know about this topic? I am tired of sticking my head in the sink to wash my hair. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Why no shower?????

It seems to me that bending over the sink to wash your hair would be harder on your pelvis and incision than a brief shower. Of course you should listen to your doc but I would question the no shower rule too. Ask if you could tape a flap pf plastic above the incision and keep the water from flowing right on your belly.
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Why no shower?????

You should probably do what your doc says but I took 3 showers while in the hospital. In fact, my doc encouraged it. I had a TAH with staples as well. Maybe it's just personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Why no shower?????

I'm not sure why you can't take a shower. I had a TAH and I was able to shower the second day in the hospital with my staples and all! When I went home, my doc just said I couldn't take a bath for six weeks and the only thing he said about showering was to make sure and dry my incision well when I got out. I would call my doc's office and make sure. Maybe there's another reason that you can't shower.

Hope you can shower soon. That would be awful not be be able to.
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Why no shower?????

Hiya,

I don't know about anybody else but I had a TAH/BSO on June 13th, and was taking a shower at the hospital....my staples came out on June 17th, but I have been showering the whole time...I wonder why they are waiting so long to take your staples out? I was told no baths in the tub, for awhile...but showers they said were fine.

BIG HUGS - get better soon

Cheryl
TAH/BSO 6/13/05
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Why no shower?????

I was forced to shower day 2 after my surgery in the hospital I was told to do a quick shower and not to get soap on the incision and to pat it dry after, same method for when the staples are out and you have steri strips (paper stictches) on quick showers and always pat dry immediately after a shower, I do not understand the no shower thing, I would def. question it cause even after my c-sections I was forced to shower (I was scared it would hurt). The key is QUICK showers.
Unread 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Why no shower?????

I had a TAH also, there were no restrictions at all on showers. I had 55 staples & took long showers every day. Staples were not removed until day 12, and even w/the steri-strips applied, I still was able to shower. I was always very careful by the incision area, and used a pure, fragrance free, mild soap. I soaped it up good, and always was very thorough in drying it.
As a matter of fact, the one day I did not shower during my second week, I developed an infected spot right at the navel. I think it was related to not showering that day and bacteria being allowed to grow. A week on antibiotics (& back to showering!) cleared it right up.
Speak to your doc!
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Why no shower?????

Hello,
I had a TAH on June 7th, and the day after my surgery 9:00 a.m. the nurses were in my room getting me up to take a shower. I couldn't believe it. I was scared to death and didn't want to do it, but once I got there and into the shower I felt so much better and was glad that I did. The one thing I do miss is my long hot baths. I am waiting and counting down the days!!!!!

LeAnn
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Why no shower?????

Thank you so much! I have been inclined to think my doctor was being too conservative. I will call tomorrow............and hope for the best.
Unread 06-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Why no shower?????

I was mostly out of it my entire stay as they kept me pretty drugged up, and my blood pressure was 110/70s tops. But I tell you this- they came in the morning after and said "Shower NOW." and in I went: IV and all. I had steri-strips over the LAVH incisions and they put plastic covering over the IV. The next morn was the same and I said "Oh, I can take one at home" (hoping to get out of there sooner) and they said "NO- Dr says shower NOW again."So in I went with DH helping me all the way again. They even brought in a chair so I could shave legs to put them back in the hose. Yeah, those things had to stay on till I left and I even wore them at home a couple nights to help out. They were really onto cleanliness and said it makes you feel better- and it DID. They came in and offered shampoo and rinse just to make sure you washed your hair too. They stressed COMPLETE shower and hair and shaving legs and arms as usual (not pubic or tummy though- they do that for you) and bentine wash before you come in to OR for the surgery. I thought they were a little overboard about it all, but it DID make me feel better after getting new stuff on and new bedding down each day. I have been careful to shower every day same way since I got home. I go back in on Friday for one week check and he will be making sure of this I know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register