Trapped Nerve | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Trapped Nerve Trapped Nerve

Unread 06-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Trapped Nerve

Hi Sisters,

I have been lurking and reading that many of you are still having pain in either left or right quadrant of your pelvis. I have had constant non-stop pain since having my hyst. My pain level is a 7-9 all the time. I take 1/2 Norco (like Vicodan) and Advil every 3.5 hours, Oxycodone & Excederin PM at night, Zoloft and Prometrium. What we believe my pain is coming from is Pudendal nerve entrapment. My gyn/surgeon is absolutely a wonderful woman and has stayed by my side this entire time trying to figure this out.

What we have been trying is weekly nerve block injections with Marcaine (numbing) & Kenalog (steroid). Done vaginally directly to the nerve. It really isn't that bad and to have at least 8 hours pain free is worth any discomfort. It is quite funny to have my privates completely numb for a whole day! This week I will have 2 injections, I had one on Tuesday and actually had 2 good days afterwards. I still had some pain but nowhere near what it usually is. I've probably had 5 injections so far.

The other new thing that we're going to try...I met with an anestheiologist on Tues...ihe specializes in nerve pain/problems...in a couple of weeks he is going to inject steroids just like an epidural to all of the sacrial nerves in hopes of reducing inflammation to the entire pelvic region. He said we will try a couple of those. If that doesn't work, then he will work directly with my gyn in doing a procedure with radiofrequency. It is supposed to alter the dna of the nerve and he says that he has had great success with it with patients with back or neck injuries. If it works, it is supposed to last 6 months to a year.

We all know that being in pain all the time is so wearing and exhausting. I just thought I would pass along the info because so many of us are in a similar position. My heart is with all of you no matter what you are going through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Trapped Nerve

RubyStar:

Thanks for sharing this. I am glad you have found relief and I hear you, any relief is welcome!

Unread 06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
trapped nerve

Ruby thanks for the info. I won't go into all my misery(if you look
for slt on this forum you will see) but I feel sure that I have a
trapped nerve. I think an adhesion on the cuff is attached to the bowel, and when I have a bm, especially a good one, I am in
terrible pain! After I get about 3 meals in me, by bedtime, some
times it is a little better. But thank you so much for sharing this.
And please, please keep us posted on your results with your dr that really seems to care, there so few who will believe you,are try to take the time to help. You are so lucky. I would like to know the
details of your symptoms. You are welcome to e-mail me or
private message, or just post. Thanks slt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2005, 02:04 PM
Trapped Nerve

I also had the trapped nerve, on the left side. I was in excruciating pain for about 5 days, before I called the doctor. I could not sleep very well, move in or out of bed, or go to the bathroom without pain. I was told to come in on a Fri. and by Wed., I just couldn't stand the pain. I called near closing. They prescribed Vicodin and the doctor's nurse called in the evening, to say the doctor did not want me to suffer until the day after the next day, and to come in the next day.

I got the Marcaine shot. He explained it to me, that the nerve was acting up. The shot, which has (sp) adrenaline in it, causes the nerve to be stunned enough to stop receiving the pain messages from the brain. He went in about 1 and 1/2", under the left end of the incision scar and it wasn't bad. Maybe a needle prick. He said it'd be like a bee sting, which had me scared. But it was not as bad as a bee. He said sometimes women need to come in for 5 weeks, but I have not required a return. I get an occasional "twinge", but it goes away. I take Ibuprofen now, occasionally.

I'm very grateful that my doctor treats all of his patients with respect, dignity, and compassion. I am very glad to read that somebody else had the Marcaine shot, too. I'm learning so much here and I no longer feel isolated or alone. I feel like a Princess among Princesses and it's nice to be royalty!

Take care. Songbird53
Unread 06-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Trapped Nerve

Hi,
I remember you had your surgery close to mine. I'm so sorry that you're still in alot of pain. My recovery was long with a bad cuff but nothing like what you've been suffering.

I nearly had the radiofrequency treatment for my fibroids but opted for a total hysterectomy instead. I've heard great things about this treatment.

I just wanted to wish you well... my fingers are crossed for you to find relief soon.
s
Maralyn
Unread 07-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Trapped Nerve

Well, I went in for the epidural nerve block injection yesterday. They were supposed to give me a mild sedative, but the stupid nurse decided I didn't need one. So since I couldn't eat or drink after midnight I didn't have any pain meds for 10 hours. I was hurting so bad. The dr had to push the nurse to do the sedative, so she inserted the IV but didn't give me the meds. So right before the procedure they gave me a little bit, but it sure wasn't much. The procedure only took about 15 min and because they numbed the area I didn't feel a thing. But once the Novacaine wore off I have been in excruiting pain. Today, with my job, I was standing and bending all day, I could barely walk by the end of the day. Between the pain from the epidural and the pelvic pain, I'm about 2 inches away from crying my eyes out. What they tell me is that the pain gets worse before it gets better. Should be 2-10 days before I notice if it helps or not. Oh, I sure do hope it does!
Unread 07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Trapped Nerve

I am so sorry, You are having to endure this. My sister had that for a back injury, and I remember the
pain she spoke of, and that is 1 reason I haven't persued that treatment, and sometimes it didn't last
long, but other times it worked for a good while. I hope things improve for you soon. Please keep in
touch. slt
Unread 07-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Trapped Nerve

Hi Ladies,

Thank-you for your hugs and thoughts, they mean so much to me. It is so nice to have all of you to talk to. Went to my gyn yesterday for my weekly nerve blocks and talked to her about the epidural and radiofrequency. It's been 3 days and I feel a little bit less pain, but nothing significant yet. We're going to do an exploritory lap probably in Sep or Oct to see if there is something else going on or if it is really nerve entrappment. If that doesn't yield any great results then I'll try the radiofrequency and/or have to do something more permanent, which really scares me and don't want to do, but I certainly can't go on with this pain.

I really do try and keep a good positive attitude, but sometimes this gets me so down. Owning my own business and trying to act like there is nothing wrong to my clients or if my clients do know about what's going on with me, I act like it's a drag but not that big of deal. When all I want to do is scream. I'm trapped in this horrible aching body and I just want out.

Sorry for my little rant, I just don't know what to do anymore.
Unread 07-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Trapped Nerve

Hey Rubystar,don't feel bad about ranting, it makes me feel a little better when I rant, it is so frustrating to be in this shape, and not get a resolution, and getting your hopes up there will be help
somewhere, and just get another disappointment, with a lot more pain to go with it, with these procedures, that's why I hesitate to let them do some of these things to me. But you really get desperate, because when the pain is really bad the pain meds just don't take of it completely. I have
a vacation scheduled in August, and can't predict how I will feel, and I don't want to spoil it for my
DH. And that is exactly what happened last time. I only had a couple of good days, and the romance was
certainly ruined, if you know what I mean. My husband tried not to show it but you know how it is.
I know about trying to keep up the front at work too, you just can't share with people, at least after a
while, because they just think if you were strong enough, or would get your mind off of it,would be ok
I happened to hear from the dentist I work with(I work in a pediatric dental setting in Health Dept.)
that one of my co-workers said that this was "just all in Susan's mind" well that really hurt, but it was a
reality check about how people veiw this, so I rarely mention it any more, you think people are compassionate about someone's suffering, but they just get tired of hearing it, and that's ok. I work with small children all day, and when you are doing dentistry on children you need to be at least 80%,
you have to use every trick in the book to get the job done, because they don't want to be there.
Thank goodness for the pain meds, other wise I just could't do it. I have 5 years before I can retire, and
some days I just don't think I can possibly do it, if I can,I can keep my insurance. Good luck Rubystar, please stay in touch. Now there you have it, I've ranted again, it seems you get to typing and one word
leads to another, and you are spilling your guts.
It is so great to have all of you, and finally be able to share some of this, and learn different tips from
each other. Thanks to all,
Unread 07-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Trapped Nerve

slt, you are so right about going to write just a little note and it turns out to be this big long rant, I am soooo guilty! I had such a bad pain and mental day today. Had a breakdown and cried and cried and cried. I am just so physically and mentally done. I just don't know how I am going to keep up with the pain and the work. I've scaled down to 4 days/wk, but am still so exhausted. I have to be so careful about my attitude at work...without seeming like a weird new ager...it is very important that I do not have bad vibes at work. (If you met me you would know that I am in no way a granola!) I do so many facials that bad vibes can be spread to the person I am working on without really knowing it and they can become depressed, and they don't know why they are suddenly depressed. Personal energy is so amazing. If someone comes in and they aren't feeling well either mentally or physically, just doing my normal facial but by just thinking in my head about taking away their stress...they always get up and say how wonderful they feel. You ever been around those people who just suck your energy away? You feel totally exhausted after they leave and all you did was talk to them? I would not have really believed it before I entered this field and after 11 years I still think its amazing. But I do have to watch what my thoughts are when I'm working on people.

Working in a ped. dental field has got to be tough. Since I'm not a great kid person...like them when they are someone elses and don't have to be around them too long....they definately don't want to be there getting their teeth cleaned....talk about negative energy. And what your coworker said about you was totally out of line...how rude! Just goes to show that people who have never been in our situation really have no clue. Have you gotten along with her otherwise? That is why I do try to tell people, without whining, what I am going through...just so they have some idea of the hell I am in. I don't expect them to understand, but at least they will know what is going on if I am having an off day.

Sad to say but me and my DH have not had sexual relations since my hyst. I hurt so bad and have pain dead center of my cuff that I cannot imagine the actual act of sex. We have talked about it and I have apologized over and over and bless his heart he does understand and does not want to hurt me any further. He has never bothered me once about it and has never even given the slightest hint that he is upset. We are still a very loving couple and he takes such good care of me. This morning when I was having my breakdown, I went into the bathroom so that I wouldn't bother him and he just came in and gave me the biggest hugs and comforted me. He tries so hard to make little jokes to make me laugh and lighten my mood...what a fabulous man!

I know what you are saying about the pain meds, it's hard enough surviving on them (and lets not forget the wonderful antidepressants) I can't imagine what I would be like w/o them. My meds and DH are the only way that I have survived this long, which is why I am pushing for the lap...something has to be fixed.

Well, let's hope tomorrow is a better day. Thank-you so much for being here and letting me rant.

Hugs!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register