saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN


HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Reply

saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 06-24-2005, 04:30 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

LOng story !
I did see the Gyn/onc yesterday cause he had a cancellation and he really upset me.
He wanted to operate immediately and scared me.
I opted to wait a few more weeks take more sonograms ( hopefully be able to go on my cruise) and then if necessary MAYBE have surgery.
He thinks its a gamble if they've grown larger( complex cysts now called MASSES) he thinks I should chuck the cruise and just have the surgery right away.
He also does not think he'll be able to do it laproscopicallly because of the location.... left side ( where colon is ) past surgeries and scar tissue and adhesions.He thinks 50/50 chance I'll still need a VERTICAL incision after he looks around laproscopically! Also he will do a frozen section while I'm on the table to assure its not cancer before he attempts to remove it.
He is woried about my symptoms and what he read on reports ( could be cancer..but might not be)
He can coordinate his schedule with my GYN's here where I live or I'll need to go to Johns Hopkins to have it done with his schedule.( more availability, and he can follow post operatively)
He did an examination where he really FELT that ovary ( oh boy!) but then said oK I don't feel anything really bad that I'm absolutely worried about now..so I think you can wait and take the sonograms in a few weeks.
I got so upset and ill after seeing him I cannot even discuss it .
I asked if I could just leave them alone if they haven't grown or changed in any way or ( hopefully ) shrunk by the next sonogram) ...he said he wouldn't he'd take the ovary.I never got to discuss the hormone issue or anything cause I was running so late.....I need another appointment and more time to discuss with him.
Don't think I can survive another surgery and no less a vertical ( new ) cut.
I'll redo sonograms mid july and call him to discuss my options then..........I think he's a bit arrogant.
Not sure what to do .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Unread 06-24-2005, 07:04 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

Maven,

I think the doc is being careful and doesn't want to "miss" a cancer. Surgery is always a frightening thing to contemplate. Did you have a bad experience with your hyst?


You've been worried about this cyst for some weeks now, and you've already been following this cyst with ultrasound for a while (and I do understand it has grown?). Did you ever have a ca-125? Was it elevated?



Dorrie
  #3  
Unread 06-24-2005, 07:41 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

s Maven

You are fortunate to live close to Johns Hopkins.
I realize the gyn onc that you saw yesterday did not say what you were hoping to hear.
Do gyn oncs from Johns Hopkins really travel out to the surrounding areas to perform surgery with local gyns???
That is amazing. In the Phila area, this would never happen.
I am not sure of your age, but I definitely would not want to leave this problem ovary behind if the mass is found to be benign.
I would worry that it would bring additional problems in the future.
As for the hormone issue, if cancer is found it may be a non issue.
At the time of my surgery I was 49 and still having monthly perioids. Surgical menopause may not be as horrid as you imagine.
My gut instinct would be to get the surgery over.
When is the cruise scheduled? Could the dates be changed?

oxoxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Unread 06-24-2005, 08:30 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

You can always re-book a cruise. The doctor may be arrogant, but he knows his business. With your history, and knowing how "whispery" and sneaky cancer is, let your brain take over and tell you that this could be serious. Better early than later.
  #5  
Unread 06-24-2005, 08:43 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

Johns Hopkins being one of the top cancer centers, I would certainly take to heart the recommendations of one of their top gyn. oncs., despite his arrogance. If I were in your shoes, I would schedule the surgery and, after a reasonable recuperation period, re-schedule the cruise . (I'm the kind of person who probably wouldn't enjoy the cruise very much with something like that going unresolved.) I would go to Hopkins for the surgery, rather than have it done locally (if I'm not mistaken, you are not too far from Hopkins); I am a firm believer in going to the best facility whenever possible. I think you are very lucky to be able to use all that this top notch hospital has to offer and I would most certainly take advantage of that. Having said all of this, in the end you will do what you feel most comfortable doing, and whatever you decide, I wish you the best for a positive outcome.
  #6  
Unread 06-24-2005, 09:31 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

Sorry, but I agree with everyone here. If a top-notch dr is telling you you need surgery, I'd be packing my castle kit. I put off having a hysterectomy three years ago, and it was the worst mistake I could have made. Hopefully he will do a full vertical, as that is the best way to find and remove whatever is needed, intact.

You have to do what you feel is right for you, but a cruise will wait, cancer doesn't.

Blessings to you, whatever you decide.
  #7  
Unread 06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Please Listen to the Gyn/Onc

Gyn/oncs are not alarmists, but they are the experts if there is a concern about cancer. I would re-book the cruise and get the surgery over with. Surgery is painful and takes a recovery period. If you did have a bad surgical experience previously, discuss it with your doctor so he/she knows what happened and your concerns now. I'm with the others--I'd do the surgery now.
  #8  
Unread 06-24-2005, 10:50 AM
thank you all

I have had some time to reflect and not be in panic mode.
I like the doctor , he is funny and spent alot of time with me ( although I was kept waiting over 1 1/2 hours)
I would have him do the surgery if necessary( I know queen of denial here)
I would also avail myself of johns hopkins as I believe thats the right thing to do.
To answer questions. I am 48 ( almost 49 -oct) I had a TAH & rt OOprehectomy with appendix removal march 04.I healed slowly and had tons of complications.I am a horrible patient. I had an epidural because I fear going to sleep( I hope this doctor allows me to do the same)
My cruise for my family 4 of us is july 29th its all paid for already . School starts end of august and cannot cruise during school year. This has been planned since last year.
I think the doctor felt after examining me that there was NO urgency at this point, becuase he felt nothing to gravely alarm him, but did recommend that even if it stayed same size I should have it removed. I needed time to digest al lhe said , because I talked so much and shared family hx and my fears and concerns....I am terrified of surgery and recovery I don't do it well and really have no time to take off new job of 6 weeks! If I wait till after my crusie mid august and have to go then... I'll at least have gotten by 90 days probabtionary period and be able to get short term disability after so many weeks..If I still have a job!
I appreciate everyone smacking me in the head and helping me to realize I need to listen and do the right thing. I am just a hard headed woman who is a chicken at heart. The doctor did say it might just all be benign.My ca 125 was 25 in may , he said thats good better than 250,000!! LOL
However he also said thats not a clear incicator, so I felt torn , confused, upset and of course wanted to hear everything as fine, no problem. I'll keep you posted~
Thanks again you are are wonderful!

I feel he is the best person to do the surgery and will do it right.Intellectually I know that emotionally I'm a basketcase.
  #9  
Unread 06-24-2005, 11:09 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

Just to add two cents--my cancer in my ovarian cyst had no effect on CA125 levels--so don't bank on low numbers as a sure indication that nothing is up. It's very hard to absorb information when the gyne-onc is talking. (have you seen the ad with the guy crunching on cereal who can't hear that the boss is firing him? that's how I feel in the doctor's office--I see the mouth moving, but I can't hear a thing). So you should probably make another appointment and bring in someone to listen for you as you get a clearer run down of his opinion about how to proceed.

In my experience, a gyne/onc who is chronically late, is one who is taking the time with each patient who needs him. The hospital probably has policies of how many appointments to book. That's what happens to me at a major teaching hospital where all my docs are.
  #10  
Unread 06-24-2005, 11:25 AM
saw GYN/ONC 2nd opinion

Maven -

If there's a chance this is cancer then waiting til September seems like a bad idea. You mentioned the doc was concerned enough that he wanted to do the surgery relatively soon.

Maybe ((Trish)) is right - bring someone with you to another appointment with the doc, and hear the information again. Then you can either enjoy your trip with a clear head, or know that you did the right thing by having the surgery sooner rather than later.


Let us know what happens



Dorrie
Reply

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
9 Replies, Last Reply 10-09-2008, Started By QAManager
19 Replies, Last Reply 08-07-2008, Started By davinci817
7 Replies, Last Reply 02-07-2008, Started By sarahsmile25
15 Replies, Last Reply 10-04-2005, Started By mori
4 Replies, Last Reply 07-16-2005, Started By marve
7 Replies, Last Reply 10-10-2004, Started By soccer
3 Replies, Last Reply 08-30-2004, Started By wahka
20 Replies, Last Reply 06-01-2004, Started By homerpoppy
12 Replies, Last Reply 07-07-2003, Started By lorit
4 Replies, Last Reply 07-01-2003, Started By lisagold
8 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
1 Reply, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
2 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
6 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives
5 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
3 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
8 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)



Advertisement

Hysterectomy News

August 7,2020

CURRENT NEWS

HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive

TODAY'S EVENTS

Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays


Request Information


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!
Advertisement


Advertisement