?? about vaginal cuff stitches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

?? about vaginal cuff stitches ?? about vaginal cuff stitches

Unread 06-24-2005, 09:24 AM
?? about vaginal cuff stitches

I really love this site, b/c you can come forward with any question and someone seems to know the answer.

I attended a small wedding last night. I was there for 3 hours, I wore pink sneakers with my dress and no panty hose, so it wasn't too difficult getting dressed up. At the very end, I decided to have a cup of coffee which I haven't had since my surgery. By the time I got home I had diarrhea for 2 hours. Then early this morning, when I went pee and wiped, I got some vaginal stitches on the tissue. That was fine. Now I am bleeding. I had absolutely no bleeding since the surgery, so this is freaking me out. How much bleeding is normal and how much is not normal?? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2005, 09:43 AM

You may have just over-done-it. You didn't say how long ago your surgery was, so I'm not sure. Maybe you should call your DR. just to ease your mind especially if its bright red blood. I didn't pass any of my stitches till 7 weeks outs! But, I didn't have any bleeding with it.
Unread 06-24-2005, 09:49 AM

You don't say when you had your surgery. I had no bleeding at all until about 2.5 wks. then i had just a little bit of bright red bleeding for about 2 days. Then i started having a salmon colored discharge. I still have a discharge now at 9 wks. my Dr just told me it's a healing discharge and not to worry. I think i'm setting a hystersister record for the longest time to have a discharge. If it's been over 6 wks. since your surgery it could be your vaginal cuff not healing. Anyway it may be a good idea to let your Dr know about it. The coffee probably upset your stomach because you haven't had it in a while and coffee is very laxative.

TAH/LSO due to dermoid cyst and large fibroids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-24-2005, 10:09 AM

I am just over 3 weeks post op and have had light watery pink discharge since the day I came home from surgery. Got 2 1/2 days 2 1/2 weeks post op bright red/dard spotting, and now 3 weeks post op I have a salmon color spotting. So I have never stopped bleeding. My Dr. said to expect bleeding for 4-6 weeks, my answer to him was....didn't I have a hysterectomy to stop all this bleeding, lol, he just smiled.

I have read that you can bleed (not like a period) when sutures start to dissolve, however I agree with the other ladies you should contact your Dr. just to be sure and to ease your mind, before you call write down some questions as to what is normal bleeding, for how long, will it deviate from one to the next, is bright red spotting normal when sutures do dissolve, what would be abnormal, at least you will get an idea as to what is normal and not normal. I don't think post op bleeding is given enough attention to in our post op recovery, Dr's. ought to give a pamphlet as to what is normal and what is not. I could be on the phone everyday almost asking questions about my post op bleeding.
Unread 06-24-2005, 02:07 PM

I'm 5 weeks post-op, I haven't had any bleeding at all except while in the hospital and it was soooo tiny. I haven't seen any stiches or anything. I would call the doc and see. good luck to you.
Unread 06-24-2005, 04:13 PM

I didn't have any bleeding at all following my surgery. Then, this past Monday, I started bleeding (like a light period.....dark red). I am currently 17 days post op and on my 5th day of bleeding. How discouraging to have to start wearing a pad again!!!! I'm going to give it a few more days and if it doesn't stop....I may just have to bother my doctor again with a phone call (I'm sure her office is tired of hearing from me!!).
Unread 06-24-2005, 04:25 PM

I am five weeks post op and have had no bleeding since day two post op. And it was only spotting then. If you continue you might want to call your doctor to make sure everything is ok.
Unread 06-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks everyone! I spoke to a nurse at my doctor's office. She assured me that everyone is different and unless the blood is bright red or a lot, I shouldn't worry. She said it's very common to bleed when passing stitches. I spent the entire day yesterday on the couch and resting and feel a lot better today. I plan to do nothing but walk a little today too.

I find it so hard feeling good for a couple of days, then you feel lousy again.

I appreciate all your help on this!
Unread 06-25-2005, 03:51 PM

<<I got some vaginal stitches on the tissue. That was fine. Now I am bleeding. I had absolutely no bleeding since the surgery, so this is freaking me out. How much bleeding is normal and how much is not normal?? Help!>>As you've realized from reading this board, people heal at different rates and have different experiences. I wouldn't be alarmed at the diarrhea. It could have been the coffee, or perhaps some thing you ate. If its still continuing, then you'll need to look for other causes. As far as your recent bleeding is concerned, if its dark red bleeding, I wouldn't be concerned. If its bright red and a LOT, please call your doctor immediately. Feel free to email me with any other questions.

hth,
Barb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register