disappointed; new here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

disappointed; new here disappointed; new here

Unread 06-26-2005, 02:55 PM
disappointed; new here

Hi...I'm new here. I am about 4 weeks post op vag hyst and I am very disappointed that I don't feel better. I have had ovarian cysts since I was 13 and the pain has been excruciating at times. My periods were severe and heavy and I had to go to bed every month for the 1st couple of days. After I had my third child 12 yrs ago, I had a tubal ligation and it got worse...I began bleeding so heavy that I was wearing tampons and pads at the same time and changing every 15-30 mins the first day and I would pass huge clots. This past February, I began bleeding heavily and it continued non-stop until I had my surgery on May 31, 2005. Prior to my surgery, I was given Premarin, Prometrium, Depo which did nothing but make me gain weight. Then I had a Cystoscopy and biopsy which showed nothing and transvaginal ultrasounds. They could find no reason for me to be bleeding or for the pain I was having. My Dr and I discussed the vag hyst and decided it was the best option for me. I thought...yeah! finally...no more pain and no more bleeding!!! WRONG!!! I don't have the bleeding but I still have the pain. My Dr was supposed to take the ovaries but decided when he was in there that he didn't need to take them because he thought the looked fine...but he drained a cyst on one of the ovaries (doesn't sound fine to me)! I was so disappointed to find out that he didn't take them because I have suffered pain in both sides for most of my life. Then I had complications from the surgery. My insurance only allowed me 24 hrs in the hosp for the surgery and I developed a headache from the spinal and had to have a blood patch to stop the leakage of spinal fluid. I was sent home 30 mins after the blood patch. Then I got a severe UTI that i had to have IV antibiotics for. I still have the pain in my right side that doubles me over. My Dr says it will get better with time but I have my doubts. I can't stand for long periods of time and I am being pressured to come back to work. I was given 4-6 weeks for recovery and I have been asked many times to return to work over the last couple of weeks. I am just not able to return just yet. I still get fatigued very easily and I hurt so badly at times all I want to do is go to bed. Oh, by the way...I'm a nurse...so I would have to walk a lot and stand on my feet a lot!!! Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2005, 03:14 PM
disappointed; new here

I don't have any advice for you but I do feel for you. If you are not ready to go back to work don't. I'm 7 weeks post-op from TAH/BSO and I stand all day too and I can't go back to work yet. Talk to your Doc...only you know your body and how you are feeling. Don't let them bully you.

I send wishes that you feel better soon,
Unread 06-26-2005, 03:36 PM
disappointed; new here

I feel for you tat2nut38. I had to have a blood patch when I had an interthical with my #3 kid. Last Oct I had a RSO and told the doc to go ahead and do the LSO when he did my LAVH on May 16. He let it be my choice. I don't understand why your surgeon didn't give you that option. I'm sorry that you are still having problems- I've not had an easy recovery either.

Hang in there,
Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
disappointed; new here

I'm so sorry you are still in pain, and have had such a rough time! Give yourself the time and space to recover! As Fantasy Goddess said, don't let them bully you in to going back to work until you feel well...shame on them, and being in the medical field they should know better! Just wanted to send you some hugs. I'm sure the pain is scary...I'm hoping that at least some of it is just from healing. I had stabbing, burning pain from upset nerves that was very disturbing. Sending best wishes...I hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 06-26-2005, 07:52 PM
disappointed; new here

Dear tat2nut38,

I was sad to read how discouraged you are. I'm not a dr,and you might already know some of the stuff I'm thinking of saying from your nursing, but I hope I can encourage you a little anyway.

I know that four weeks sounds like a long time to be recovering from surgery, but it really isn't for this. At four weeks I couldn't stay on my feet for very long at a time either. It's different for all of us, but for some it just takes longer to heal. You had a lot of the things that can make for a longer recovery. To start you had severe blood loss for months leading up to your surgery. I had this too and had fought anemia for a long time and my recovery was slower than a lot of the women here.

I also had a cyst on my right ovary that the dr drained, but left my ovaries. I have had pains sometimes and have wondered if it was my ovaries, but have always found that resting has relieved my symptoms. I don't know what is causing your pain, but it may or maynot be from your ovaries. A lot of my pain has just come from trying to do too much. The more you push yourself to be healed before you actually are, the more you will hurt.
Another factor that will make for a longer recovery is complications. You have had at least two that you mention.

I just hope you will not push yourself to go back to work. You sound so much like me and I did find that with time I am feeling so much better and have gotten past so much of the pain and limitations I had at 4 weeks. At four weeks I wasn't able to grocery shop for my family yet on my own. I could hardly make it through the store, let alone load and unload any groceries.

Please take heart and try to relax and let the healing happen at its own pace. Don't let anyone else's expectations make you feel pressured to do anything you aren't ready for. You might have had the expectation that having a TVH would be a lot easier and quicker. It hasn't been my experience or the experience of most of those I've read about on here.
Try backing off of your activities and see if that helps. I hope it will. Let us know how you are doing.

's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register