Hysterectomy for Uterine Prolapse? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for Uterine Prolapse? Hysterectomy for Uterine Prolapse?

Unread 06-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Hysterectomy for Uterine Prolapse?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this website so this is my first experience with any postings.
I had a bilateral - salpingo oophorectomy in November 2004 due to borderline precancer / stage I ovarian cancer. I am very fortunate to say the least, because this was only discovered due to the fact that I went in for an ablation. Anyways, after four preganancies my uterus had become prolapsed. My GYN. did not want to do a hysterectomy at the time because I was severely anemic . I was advised that the ablation would stop heavy bleeding so that my red cell count could return to normal and then we would consider a hysterectomy to correct the prolapse.
During the November surgery the doctor did put my uterus back in place in order to bide me some time. However, after only three months, my uterus was already prolapsed again. In addition, it is laying on top of my bladder and causing that to begin to prolapse as well. Here's my dilemma: The doctor has discussed the possibility of removing my uterus but keeps pushing it back and advising me to do pelvic exercises. He has also prescribed Detrol and Detropan (neither of them helped either) and has suggested trying a pessary. His advice is not working!! It is becoming more and more difficult to control my bladder and impossible to get a decent night's sleep. Therefore, I would prefer to just have my uterus removed and get back to leading a more normal life. Has anyone had this problem? What options did you try? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2005, 10:02 PM

Dear kjmay:

Welcome to HysterSisters As a prolapse victim, you could be an excellent candidate for the less-invasive vaginal hyst. It sounds like you would benefit from another medical opinion.

Here is a link to the prolapse section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=27

It's my understanding that kegal exercises won't correct a prolapse, but can be helpful in *preventing* further prolapse. All women should do daily kegals. Here is a link to info about kegals: http://www.universityobgyn.com/kegal.htm

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 06-29-2005, 06:24 AM

I agree with Twysmiling. I had a prolapse too, I think if it bothering you that musch go for a second opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 07:15 AM

I had a TVH due to prolapse of the uterus. I tried the kegels to help the problem, but that didn't help. It did help some with controling my bladder. Some people have good luck with a pessary, maybe try it and see. I myself just wanted my uterus gone. I wasn't having any more children and my uterus was only dropping futher down. It was all most to the point of coming out. It also cause my bowel to drop into my vagina also. I was sick of the pain and heaviness it was giving me. It also was causing me pain during sex. I was ready for it to come out and I'm glad I did I feel alot better. I can't believe how much it was weighing me down. I feel as light as a feather! The doc. told my DH that she just tugged on it and it fell out. Pretty scary huh, I think it was ready to come out. She said it was like I was carrying a 2 pd. wt. around. No wonder why I felt such pressure. So maybe get a second opinion and go from there. Good luck to you!
Unread 07-05-2005, 10:41 AM

I too have a prolasped uterus and my bladder has prolasped slightly. My surgery is scheduled for 12/6/05. Mine must be prolasped to the point where both doctors agreed with each other that they both recommended a hyst. I wasn't a candidate for a pessary valve because I exercise 3-4 times a week and I wasn't will to give that up. I wasn't willing to give up sex either.
Unread 07-06-2005, 05:17 AM

I have uterin, bladder, and rectum prolaspe not to mention endo, a cyst and a adhesion connecting fallopian tube and abdomonal wall. So I am getting a tah along with the ovaries done. The nurse is scheduling my gyno and uro as we talk right now.
Unread 07-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Third degree prolapse here. I agree with the others and would get a second opinion. I was told by my Dr. that he would only recommend a pessary if the patient was to old for surgery. Good Luck, you've found a gread site for information and support.

Cherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register