Help!! what is going on?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!!  what is going on?? Help!! what is going on??

Unread 06-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Help!! what is going on??

I am just over my year anniversary for my hyst.
For the last 6months I have had pain in my right side, like where my ovary used to be. I have been on pain meds off and on since then, my doc ordered some tests, Ultrasound and a CT scan, everything came back normal!! Don't get me wrong, I am very glad there was nothing major found, but why do I still have these pains? Does anyone know if adhesions or endo can be detected by a CT scan? I almost believe that my endo has returned !! I was put on hormones right after my surgery, could it have been too soon? Maybe there was still some left in me, I don't know, I am so tired of being in pain, I feel like I am losing my mind, like I am imagining all of this. Thanks for any help you can give.

:cry:

Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Hi ((((Mel)))) I'm so sorry you're in so much pain

The pain you describe sounds a lot like the pain I've been dealing with, on and off, since my hyst. In my case, I did keep my ovaries and, especially since the pains tend to be cyclical, I was convinced that it was my ovary giving me grief. However, twice I ended up in my OB/GYN's office and twice he confirmed that it wasn't my ovary: my pain is caused by bowel spasms. My GP has since corroborated the diagnosis.

I've since found out that it all seems to be linked to my IBS and that PMS is one of the known IBS triggers

If this hasn't already been done, please ask for a referral to a GI doctor. While you're at it, also ask for a referral to a Uro-GYN since your issues may also be due to bladder problems.

Sending lots of s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 06-29-2005, 11:15 PM

I complained of right sided pain for 7 years after and ectopic pregnancy and everyone said everything was "normal." Then I went back to the doctor who did the ER ectopic surgery and he told me I had a "mass"so I consented to surgery to look around and signed for a "possible" hysterectomy, depending on what he found. I woke up with a TAH/BSO and massive complications. (By the way, path showed no mass.) Still, I complained of the same right sided pain that took me to him in the first place. CTs and MRI's showed "normal."

Finally, finally, my new wonderful doctor listened to me and sent me for a simple X-ray. There they were; three surgical clips. The one on my right side pushed into my bowel and is the source of my pain. I never needed the hysterectomy.

I don't know whether this is common or not, but perhaps you could ask for a simple, low dose X-ray? Who knows. Maybe lots of us are walking around with clips we know nothing about. Maybe not. But in any case, a simple X-ray is non-invasive and low risk and apparently, better for detecting metal than the newer, fancier, more expensive test.

Best wishes to you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 09:07 AM

Thanks so much for all of your input, I just spoke to my doc's office, she wants me to go in for another lap. (this will be my third, first after my hyst). I am so afraid that she won't be able to find the problem!!!! I am not sure what I am going to do! Could use some more advise... What would you all do?

Thanks Again,

Mel:hair:
Unread 06-30-2005, 01:13 PM

When are you going in for your lap? I am having one done next Wednesday because I am having a constant right side lower pain. All of my tests have came up negative also. My surgeon is thinking it is adhesions, endo or ORS but really not sure. I will let you all know how it goes.

Why have you had 3 laps so far since you hyst? If you don't mind me asking.

Keri
Unread 06-30-2005, 02:20 PM

I am sorry, I have had 2 before my hyst, this will be my third.... we haven't scheduled it yet, she is waiting for me to decide if this is what I want to do. I have lower right side pain. This would just be exploratory. I guess I am so scared of another surgery because after my hyst. my incision opened and it took 6months to close. I know this is much easier than my hyst. but my fear is still there! I am leaning toward just going ahead with it.

Let me know how yours goes on wed. I will be thinking of you.

Mel
Unread 06-30-2005, 02:31 PM

WOW, I don't blame you for being scared at all. What was your other two laps for then? Was it for this same problem? I am just curious, if you don't mind saying.

The lap I am having Wednesday will be exploratory basically but whatever he finds, he will be fixing, whether it be adhesions, endo, etc. I also gave him permission to open me up, if need be. I just want the pain to go away!!!!

Thanks and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Keri
Unread 06-30-2005, 02:51 PM

Ladies,

I've been where you both are, and I feel for you! Sad to say that I'm getting to be an old pro at this....at 29! I've had 7 surgeries now for Adhesions, CPP and PCO including my TVH. I know exactly what you mean by wanting it to just go away!!! Make the pain stop!!! I hope that they are able to help you both!

Remember, you are not alone in all of this! You have all of us!

I'm sending you both lots of gentle s!!!

Cortney
Unread 06-30-2005, 04:19 PM

Hey There,
I am so glad I am not the only one out there going through all of this, I thought for sure after my hyst. that all of the pain would go away!! I guess my biggest fear is that we won't be able to find what is causing all of this pain, my other two laps were done because of severe endo and ovarian cysts. What is so strange is that my pain almost feels like it did with cyst and endo pain. I keep thinking is this pain really real!!! Is this really happening to me again? I don't mean to sound so self pity, thanks for all of your support!!

Mel
Unread 06-30-2005, 11:54 PM

I'm sorry you are having pain again. I have been there. To answer your question adhesions do not show up on ultrasound or CT scan. I hope that helps ease your mind.
I also understand your fear about them being able to find something or wondering if this is all in your head. I used to have those same fears regarding my pain. Luckily or unluckily (I don't know which!!) each time I had surgery or exploratory lap they were able to confirm a source for my pain even when ultrasounds and CT scans didn't show anything.
I'm sure your lap will find the cause of your pain and I hope that they are able to fix the pain for you.
I on the other hand are still in pain 2 years post hyst due to adhesions.
Oh well such is life!!

Good Luck!!

Pamela

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register