Will I still have my belly button? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I still have my belly button? Will I still have my belly button?

Unread 03-18-2001, 02:14 PM
Will I still have my belly button?

I am too embarrassed to call my doctor and ask this. I am very short and short waisted. I will be having a vertical incision and the doc did say that he may have to cut me above my navel. ( I did ask that question!) On the way home, I thought - Will I still have a belly button???!!!! Any of you lovely princesses out there know?
Also, I am scheduled for surgery at 3pm with bowel prep and clear liquids the day before. In the past, my surgeries have been at the crack of dawn and I was ordered to take nothing by mouth after midnight the night before surgery. I know that I will not last until 3 pm with no water! I am also a very hungry person so I am dreading the no eating the day before more than the surgery. (Once I am on an IV I don't feel hungry.)Anyone allowed to take a sip or two if they have a late appointment at the castle?
Thanks sisters! God Bless!
Kathleen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2001, 02:41 PM
sipping

They will let you have a little sip in the morning if you ask them a couple of times. They'll probably give you the standard written instructions and that won't allow for a little sip, so you have to ask specifically--how much water can you drink and when can you drink it? They just want your stomach empty when you go under anesthesia.

I didn't drink enough after my bowel prep the night before my morning surgery (which ended up starting 2 hours late) and I was parched, so I asked them to hook up the IV a little early. It helped with the thirst (pschological? Maybe. Who cares?)...then, of course I had to go pee one last time before going in.

Can't help you on the belly button question. I had a laparoscopic procedure, so I still have my belly button, only it has a smile in it now.

Good luck!
Unread 03-18-2001, 02:49 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I don't know about the belly button thing, but they probably wouldn't be surprised by a call to ask.....maybe they even have a message board somewhere with a thread about all the dumb questions we ask!

Why not call to ask about ice chips or something the day of your surgery and then throw in the belly button question?

I asked whether to take my pills the morning of my 12:30 surgery and the girl said take at least 6 hrs before with less than an ounce of water. When I talked to the anesthesia guy he told me to take them at the normal time (3 hrs before) with no more than 2 ounces of water. My surgery ended up 2 hrs late.... we ended up splitting the difference anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2001, 03:44 PM

Hi Kathleen -

I had a 6-7 inch vertical incision that started above my belly button, went around it, and then straight down my abdomen. Yes, I do still have my belly button. In fact, when the doc took my staples out he said the ones at my navel might hurt a little but they didn't.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your surgery; hope it and your recovery go as well as mine did.
Unread 03-18-2001, 06:18 PM
Water

Kathleen,

I had a 1:00 surgery date. The anesthesiologist said that although he didn't want me eating anything after midnight, I could drink clear liquids up to 7:00 a.m. of the surgery (such as apple juice). He didn't want me to get dehydrated.

When I arrived at the hospital, the nurse gave me two pills (Reglan and Pepcid, I think), handed me a small 2 Tablespoon medicine cup with about 1 T. of water in it and said to try to use the least amount of water possible to down the two pills. The nurse just about had a stroke when she asked me the last time I had anything to drink, which I told her 7:00 a.m. I assured her that I had followed the anesthesiologist's orders!

You should probably call the hospital and ask about it, just to make sure.

Good luck, and may God be with you.
Unread 03-18-2001, 10:03 PM

Hi,

I had a verticle incision and I was surprised to see this perfect little detour around my navel. I guess they are pretty careful about not displacing or disfiguring navels because people have sued so unless there is some serious medical reason for disturbing it, doctors don't usually.

I have had some surgical procedures before so I have some tips. You might check with your doctor if they seem different from your own instructions.

I was on clear liquids the day before surgery. I was allowed broth but instead of beef or chicken, I had vegetable broth. It is less strong tasting to me. I made sure I had 4 cups during the day. Broth has salt and helps you retain liquid. I had lots of clear juice, tea, and jello etc. too. I couldn't have anything by mouth after midnight, and my surgery was at 12 PM, but I wasn't really uncomfortable even with the bowel prep flushing everything out the other end. I think the salt from the broth kept me from being really dehydrated. Again this is just my personal idea, but for once the nurse had no problem finding a good vein to start the IV. She may have just been a really good nurse.

By the way, once you get there and they take your clothes and start fussing over you then they give you that little pill to just relax you a little, the time just seems to fly by. I took a book to read and I don't think I read a page and I got there two hours before my surgery.

Good Luck and Good thoughts go with you.
Unread 03-19-2001, 06:36 AM

Kathleen,

I also had a late surgery date. I didn't drink anything but anytime I felt thirsty or had dry mouth I would swirl a mouthful of water in my mouth taking care not to swallow and then spit it out. That seemed to help a lot.

Noelle
Unread 03-19-2001, 02:57 PM

Thanks so much for all of your answers.
I got my pre-op instructions. My surgery is scheduled for 3:45 pm. Clear liquids the day before with a nasty bowel prep ( a bum bomb as I saw another sister describe it. LOL) and nothing to drink after midnight the night before. Weh aI go for my pre-surgical testing, I will appeal for mercy and ask if I could have a little bit of water in the early morning.
Well I should lose weight at least! Between the starvation and the removal of the monster fibroid ( 5 months size) I better be slimmer by far!
Be Well!
Kathleen
Unread 03-19-2001, 08:19 PM
Bum Bomb

That would be my introduction, as far as I know. We were talking about it on the bowel prep thread.

I actually didn't make it up - I got it off WITSENDO, a listserv for endo patients. A WITS friend directed me to hystersisters when I realized I needed one.

We call it that because it really is! Please make sure you protect the tender tissues! I didn't do that the last time and sure wished I had.

Also, I found a great homeopathic rash care cream that helps with the sore bum- Weleda makes it and it contains tinctur of Calendula. I use a great deal of it.

Best wishes!
Unread 03-20-2001, 04:46 PM
Well acquainted with "bum bomb" : (

Unfortunately, I am a veteran of many laps, laparotomies, and hysteroscopies, etc.
I found that it helps to use those tissues that have the aloe in them. Also, I use A&D ointment if my bottom gets angry. I figure if it is good enough for my darling (and light of my life) nephew's tushy, it is fine for me.
BTW, I laughed so hard when you first used the term on the other thread!
Be Well and God Bless!
Kathleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register