probably a silly question, but. . . . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

probably a silly question, but. . . . probably a silly question, but. . . .

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:13 PM
probably a silly question, but. . . .

Haven't had pre-op with Dr. yet, so this may be something they go over with me. Don't know why I'm a little "neurotic" about this, but I am. What, exactly, do I need to take to the hospital on the day of surgery? I know that sounds silly, but I'm one of those people who need to know all the little details up front and can be TOTALLY prepared for everything. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:32 PM

Not a silly question at all, jsd514! If you haven't been there, you don't know.

They will probably give you a list at your pre-op appt but I'll tell you what I took and needed (and will tell you what I took and didn't need too).

Took & needed - slippers, robe, lip balm, hand cream, deodorant, baby wipes (I like Huggies the best) to clean up with after going to the bathroom and also to use to wipe my face and nect when I got hot laying in bed, Brush ups for times when I wanted to clean my teeth but didn't want to get up to go into the bathroom, and an empire waist dress, a pair of undies, and sandals to wear home. (I couldn't stand pants and I couldn't bend over to tie my shoes.) I also took a couple magazines and some catalogs that I hadn't looked through. These were easy reads and didn't require much concentration. I also took GasX which I ended up not needing at all as I didn't get gas but lots of sisters have a horrible time with gas so I put it on this list.

Took & didn't need - nightgown (just wore the hospital gown as it was big and comfy - definitely needed that robe with it though when walking the halls!), book (took too much concentration), Gatorade (the hospital had some - I knew I wanted some for after the IV came out), and pads (I didn't have any discharge but the hospital had some anyway - they were the old timey big ones but that was okay with me - easier to 'wear' sans underwear while in bed just in case there was discharge).

Here's another hint for you...I started getting a headache the day after my surgery. My nurse quickly figured out that it was a caffeine (or lack thereof) headache so she got me a diet Pepsi and the headache quickly went away. If you are used to drinking pop with caffeine, ask for some pop as soon as they will let you have some - avoid the headache from the get-go if you can!

And, best hint for coming home - have a high-back chair next to your bed. Put the back next to the bed so that you can use it for leverage getting in and out of bed.

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery, a good stay at the castle, and a great recovery at home!
Unread 07-01-2005, 08:21 AM

It's not a silly question at all I like to be prepared too.

Clich here for a good list of what to take to the hospital. I didn't take everything listed and didn't use everything that I took but it's a good place to start

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2005, 08:21 AM

I packed very lightly for the castle, and here's what I used:

comb
toothbrush and toothpaste
lotion
small alarm clock (I'm too nearsighted to see the wall clock w/o glasses)
small notebook and pen to jot down questions and start writing my Hyst-story while it was still a fresh memory
a magazine (finally read last day in the castle)

In other words, I could have packed in a brown paper lunch bag!

Honestly -- that's it. I wore their gowns, robe, and slippers (they wanted me to wear theirs so they were sure I had grippers on the bottom). Wore the same thing home from the hospital as I wore there -- a loose-fitting sundress and slip-on shoes.

While you're in the castle, you'll have all you can do to just handle tasks like getting up and going potty... And by the time I felt like doing anything else, I was going home.

Best to you!
Unread 07-01-2005, 10:13 AM

the less u take the better off you and your family will be.
if u take somethings just pack a bag with cotton clothes, socks, undies, toothbrush, stash a pack of tums in there.
they let me wear my own socks in to OR. i got a pair of my husbands camping socks . they are cotton and VERY think. the OR is very cold.
Unread 07-01-2005, 12:53 PM

Dont worry about asking questions on here. There are no silly questions here. No matter what you may want to ask, there is always someone else who also wants to know it or has been through it. I have learned that by asking so many of my own "silly" questions on here.
Unread 07-01-2005, 01:13 PM

I'm very into the "perfect outfit", but I really didn't bring the right things!

One thing to consider- for perhaps a day after surgery, one of your arms (you can't be sure which one) is probably going to be attached to an IV. Also, you might be attached in several other places to- like a catheter.

So this means that a robe just doesn't work- because you can't get it on!

Things I wish I had considered bringing are:

-a shawl or light throw blanket to drape around my shoulders
-perhaps a nice soft t-shirt that you've cut carefully at the shoulders and substituted snaps for (like baby cloths), so you can snap it on, or a camisole t-shirt with just straps that can be tied a the shoulders (a sun-dress might work for this as well). I just saw someone in overall-shorts and that would have worked great- doesn't hit at the waist at all.
-a bra with a removable strap so you can get it on even with the IV.
-loose panties for the first day- something that doesn't hit at where your incisions will be (I had an LSH so my belly button hurt), and maybe something like sleep shorts that you can put on while you still have a catheter on.
-some sort of slippers or sandles

Also, it was great in the morning to get makeup on- so I brought my makeup kit and a flat iron.

Also think about the kind of overnight bag that you are bringing- an airline carry-on bag with wheels would be a great help- so you can have some possiblity of wheeling the bag when you leave if you need to- you won't be able to lift it.

-Torrie
Unread 07-01-2005, 01:18 PM

Oh, and bags of tea and perhaps a microwavable cup. Usually the nurses have a microwave and can be persuaded to heat up some water in your cup for your tea. Bring caffinated for right after surgery for that caffiene-withdrawal headache, and decaf for evenings.

-Torrie
Unread 07-01-2005, 02:30 PM

I would have been lost - or at least very uncomfortable - without my robe. My IV was hooked into my hand. One the one day that I had to drag my IV with me when I walked, I just snapped the robe with my hand hanging out kinda like a sling. When they unhooked the IV, they kept the tubes in my hand but taped them down in case they needed to start more antibiotics. Then I could put my hand through the sleeve of the robe - no problem.

Hospital gowns just didn't provide enough much behind coverage - at least I knew I was 'safe' when I walked the halls with my robe on. When I wasn't wearing it, it served as a nice 'shawl' around my shoulders or extra blanket over my legs if I was cold.

Everyone has different needs/desires but rest assured, a robe is very do-able by the time you'd get around to using/needing it and in my case, I would have been extremely unhappy without it.
Unread 07-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Why Baby wipes?

I've been reading the posts and I am wondering why do you need baby wipes?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register