Internal Stitches | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Internal Stitches Internal Stitches

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Internal Stitches

I had my uterus and cervix removed (kept ovaries) and am starting into my third week post-op. Does anybody know if the stitches are the kind that dissolve or will I have some type of stitch discharge?

I have lived in oversized sleep shirts and light cotton sweatpants with no panties on. I have found that since my surgery it feels so much better to be "free" of anything around me. Am I going to have to become "unfree"?

Pisces57 (Kathy)

(TAH, 6-16-05)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Internal Stitches

Hi Kathy,

Did you have abdominal surgery? Sounds like it, but not sure (?). I know what you mean about no panties and loose fitting clothes. I had a TAH (everything gone) and I wore no undies for about 3 wks. I lived in cotton nightshirts. If I went anywhere, it was cotton undies, stretchy capris, and big t-shirts for me!

As for the stitches...some have spoken about "passing" some. I have never seen any! I have never had any bleeding, discharge, or seen any stitches.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
Unread 06-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Internal Stitches

You sound just like me. I am 6 weeks and I still want things loose and hanging on me. And no panties!! I can't stand them anymore. I don't really have hardly any swelling now, I just am very tender still and my skin in that area is sensitive. When I take off my underwear I feel so much better. I don't like wearing certain kinds of shorts now either. Just light weight shorts.

I have one little khaki Gap skirt that is comfortable and I want to wear it all the time. My daughter and I were in the car to go shopping one day and I told her to wait! I didn't have on my underwear.
She said don't worry mama nobody can see. I said well it is kind of short and I wouldn't want anybody to see, it definitely isn't something to look at. I had just gotten so use to not putting them on, or waiting until the last minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Internal Stitches

gurlie,

Yes I did have have a TAH. Was supposed to have a TVH, but when the doctor went to perform the surgery, my bowel was in the way and he didnt' want to take any chances.

Boy was I surprised to wake up and find i had staples in my tummy !

Kathy

(TAH, 6-16-05)
Unread 06-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Re: Internal Stitches

Quote:
Originally posted by Pisces57
Does anybody know if the stitches are the kind that dissolve or will I have some type of stitch discharge?
Pisces,
I had my TAH/BSO the same day as you. I just had my 2 week check up today. I asked my doctor that very question.

I do have dissolvable stitches and I asked if I would pass them. I was told that it's possible, but probably not. (I have read that some ladies do pass some stitch material)
Just in case, I asked what color they are---mine are blue.

I don't know if this applies to you or not......but I also asked about the slight odor that I have. (If you have it you'll know exactly what I'm talking about) My doctor said that when you are stitched that there is a small amount of blood and fluid that gets sort of "left behind" in there. It will either be absorbed by your body or come out (discharge). I know you didn't ask about that part and I hope that wasn't TMI, but I think it is very common with internal stitches.

Hope that helps. I hope you are having a smooth recovery.
Cheryl
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Internal Stitches

Funny, I didnt have a TAH, I had a TVH. It still feels nicer free too! I used to wear jeans every day, now I am findingI love my sweats still am dont have the binding in the crotch discomfort. Also thong underware bug me. I am sure one day we can be comfortable in out old wardrobe.
Unread 06-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Internal Stitches

All of the above--no undies unless I go out, then it's my big old cotton briefs, and they come off right away! I also have the 'different' odor...not bad or anything, just different. I went into surgery on my period, and even though it's been over two weeks, I still check the tp to see if I'm still on my period! Some habits will be hard to break! I'm getting weird sensations to the right of my belly button--sometimes it's almost a burning feeling. I figure since it feels like it's just at the surface, not "inside" it must the the nerve 'stuff' coming alive, and it's happening at the edge of my numb area. And the gas, I find that the pressure of the gas transfers to all sorts of strange places. I can't believe how desperately I wanted to 'pass gas' to be able to get out of the hospital--beware of what you wish for--it won't stop. The flip side of that is, I'm still taking iron for anemia, which tends to slow up the plumbing a bit, but all the fiber, fluids and prunes are helping immensely, so it's a decent trade off. And the final little complaint--I was shaved a bit, and I find that my undies rubbing against that is highly annoying!

Then I read back over this and think...if this is ALL I have to complain about....!!!

Kristin
Hapy gassy Buny

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register