For those who have had cervix removed... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

For those who have had cervix removed... For those who have had cervix removed...

Unread 07-01-2005, 08:28 AM
For those who have had cervix removed...

Hi again,
It looks as if I am going to have another surgery #4 to try and stop my bleeding. I had my lavh last sept., kept one non-functioning ovary and cervix. started bleeding a couple of months ago, not mini periods, almost every day now accompanied by pain and bloating. i also have noticed that i get kinda pms feeling (cranky) weriod. anyway, my doc told me that the only way to guarantee not to bleed anymore is to remove cervix and remaining ovary. Is this true? I seem to have read somewhere here that women can still experience bleeding even after everything is removed. I have had silver nitrate treatments too.
my second question: he would go and do another lap surgery
i'm afraid of bladder and bowel problems along with sexual problems. does the lap procedure help or hurt in that respect. and does removing the cervix affect orgasm? I was lucky with my hysto last time b/c everything remained the same. i've done some reading lately and i'm getting really scared b/c it sounds like i could lose sensitivity and my vagina could be shorter? please help!!! I would love to hear input,,,good or bad. btw are there any other alternatives to removal of the cervix to stop bleeding.
I've already had my cervix cauterized during surgery and had silver nitrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2005, 08:49 AM

Hi

I am sorry about your problems.
I can't comment on the ovaries, I kept mine, but I do not miss my cervix at all and I was extremely lucky I had no pain after my TAH.
I am a coward so when I say no pain I mean no pain when I was taking it easy ( sleeping , walking, watching tv, reading ). I was aware of that something was done but it was not pain. I could not sneeze, cough, laugh nor stretch in the mornings but that lasted only a few days ( obviously I could not do the major things ( sittups, running….. )either). The spotting stopped on the day 4, and nothing since.

Take care Iva
Unread 07-01-2005, 08:56 AM

I too had my cervix removed, I have not had any bleeding since leaving the hospital. I don't know about actual intercourse, I am only 4 weeks. But everything else works just fine and feels the same. I found the mojarity of women notice no difference. I only have one ovary left, my DR told me as long as you have an ovary you will have PMS. So you know that you will go thru surgical menopause. Which if you have bad PMS, maybe for you will be easier than PMS, but you may want to research more on that. I did and decide to keep ovaries or ovary if possible. Even though I kept ovary I am having some Menopause symptoms, which my DR said will change when my ovary wakes up, can tell you just the taste of menopause, has been tough, mainly not sleeping at night. Hope this helps a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2005, 09:13 AM

I had a TAH/BSO Feb. 1 and do not feel my cervix is shorter (neither does my husband). As far as orgasm is concerned, it has taken a while for mine to feel as strong as it was before but that is changing. This of course has been in between silver nitrate treatments and the cervix being frozen as of 2 weeks ago. I have not had any spotting but seem to have a spot that was not healing up correctly. No pain involved, just something the doc noticed and kept an eye on. No recheck now until Jan.

I don't miss my ovaries at all!!! I'm on Climara .1 and am loving life! I finally feel so even tempered and calm. No more roller coaster hormones for me. I had terrible pms and lots of intermittent pain during the month. I have not had any trouble with the patch staying on either (survived oceans and pools). Never had to replace one early. I wear mine on my upper hip area. My quality of life is so much better.

I'm sorry you're having problems. I know it's a difficult decision, you have to do what you feel is right and you're getting all the knowledge you can.
Unread 07-01-2005, 09:25 AM

I'm going on seven weeks and had everything taken. I haven't had any bleeding and sex has been great. Maybe the orgasms aren't quite as strong yet, but they are much easier!
I don't regret losing my cervix at all.
Unread 07-01-2005, 09:46 AM

I am almost at my year anniversary. My cervix was also removed. Here is my opinion. My vagina felt shortened so sometimes intercourse was uncomforatable, especially after orgasm. It has taken almost all of 1 year for it to stretch, so that I no longer have any uncomfortable feeling at all. I was so scared that orgasms would be different with no cervix. I am happy to say that was not the case. Everything works just as well as before the surgery. It is nice to be able to have sex whenever we want-last summer all I did was bleed. Good luck to you.
Unread 07-01-2005, 10:39 AM

I sorry to hear you are having more problems. Did the Dr. do more testing like CT (Cat Scan) or Pelvis or Transvaginal ultrasound to determine what is going on? If not I think I would ask for more testing or get a second opinion before going under again....Just My Opinion. I had a TLH, kept my ovaries, haven't gotten to do the Wild Thing yet, but everything else is working.
I had a lot of pelvic discomfort due to my cervix being removed, but I also wasn't taken any form of pain killers after the 3rd day of post op. Also I have been bleeding for 4 1/2 weeks, I started bleeding 1 day after surgery and today I noticed I am finally down to just spotting. From what I read on vagina being shorter, it really shouldn't get any shorter and if it does it is so minute you shouldn't notice. Now saying that, they say when you first start having intercourse after the surgery to remove cervix, everything may feel tighter to you and partner due to swelling that hasn't gone down all the way....That is what I read. Perhaps a few hystersisters that had their cervix removed and is a few months post op could answer the intercourse question for all of us. I did see the one sisters post, but wonder if it varies from one sister to another.
Unread 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM

Qtpie...sorry you have to go thru yet another surgery. I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy, ovaries, tubes & cervic removed. I no longer have any periods and have not found any difference during sex. My recovery was pretty uneventful.

Best wishes to you.
Unread 07-01-2005, 11:00 AM

Hi Qtpie!

I'm a little confused. I was under the impression if you have an LAVH the cervix has to come out. There is no way around that. I had an LAVH BSO. I'm about 3.5 weeks post up and so far I don't miss my cervix. Have no bleeding only spotted after surgery for the first 2 weeks. I am now looking forward to trying "IT" out with DH soon.
Unread 07-01-2005, 11:57 AM
hi there

well i had my cervix removed in april and was so scared about everything ,but thankfuly i experimented in wk 3 found orgasm 2 be wonderful no pain after i had full intercourse last wk and even though i was tense and worried it felt exactly the same only no pain wonderful ,try not to worry .

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register