Good news/bad news...UPDATE on my 'bad CT scan | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Good news/bad news...UPDATE on my 'bad CT scan Good news/bad news...UPDATE on my 'bad CT scan

Unread 07-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Good news/bad news...UPDATE on my 'bad CT scan

Hello my Sisters,

I think I could go on and on about this but I will do my best to make this a shorter story. Sorry, I have taken so long to get back to you...as I kept thinking results were coming in at any moment. I should have known better.

A few weeks ago my Ct scan showed thickened area above vaginal vault..4cm, laying transverse and protruding. mercy me!!!This is where endo cancer typically appears in a local recurrence.

Needless to say, I was scared out of my mind. Of course, I went directly to my sisters...to vent, to cry... express frustration and fear.

I ended up having a physical with my ONC/GYN. That went well, vaginal vault was smooth and no evidence of tumor/lump/bump. She did do a quick biopsy (in one spot only) and it turned out to be a benign polyp. whew! Pap results today showed 'normal'. So far so good. I am thinkin' things are really lookin' up.

To accomplish the 2nd reading of my Ct scan films has been the real nightmare. They were originally sent for a 2nd read on a CD? The copied films on CD turned out to be double exposed/unreadable. So, they sent for the actual films. That second set has have been there for 9 days without being read. ( I have been calling everyday for the last 5 )

I finally got a call back a hour ago.... from the ONC/GYN that is filling in for my usual ONC who will not be back until the 12th. Right away, I was concerned as I had been talking with the nurse and she was the one going to call me back when the CT scan was finally read. My heart went thud as soon as he announced himself.

I was very nervous, I wish I had more presence of mind as I was speaking to him. But, he said recurrence could not be ruled out. Then he started talking about a biopsy ( I think he is refering to invasive surgery) he says, it is difficult in that area as it is next to the bladder etc. ( Because of TAH, other organs fill in and rest on or near vaginal vault)...He is recommending another CTscan to be done in about 6 weeks but will wait and talk to my regular ONC/GYN ( who is a little irregular, if you get my drift) I am so tired of waiting.

I was so hoping to have a more definitive answer. Now, I have to wait till my next scan...and then wait for the results of that.

Just when I was starting to think I could breathe again.

I am wondering why he (ONC) called? And, I have a feeling this 2nd read was on a more negative note. I can't go into all the details here... but I had a sense that more was going on...and that he did not want to say too much as he is not my regular ONC/GYN. And, I am thinking...6 more weeks. Is it growing? As you all know...SIZE matters, when it comes to cancer...lol

I know, I know...the other tests/exam/pap look pretty dang' good. But, you girls know the drill. Any doubts seem to play havoc with our emotions. I don't feel like I am going to lose it or anything. I just feel let down...and disappointed that I have to continue on this path of uncertainty. ( And, don't think I don't know that many of you sisters live with this feeling everyday)

Well, there is my update...some good news/some not so good news. I will try to take my own advice and live one day at a time.

Thanks again for being there....as you always are,

Diane (baylee6)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Diane -

I think you should get an appt with your usual onc on the 12th - yes right when he gets back. Then you can go over both readings and have another physical exam if needed.

I wouldn't read too much into the substitute onc calling. In many medical offices it is protocol that the substitute doc actually report all the test results to the patients. I wouldn't suprise me if a different sub was filling in over the holiday weekend and they were just clearing paper.

You could ask for a copy of the second report, but since you won't be able to talk to your usual doc, I am not sure it is worth the anxiety.

Are all these gyn oncs in the same group? If so they shouldn't be passing the ball (you! and the CT results!) around like a hot potato

Dorrie
Unread 07-01-2005, 03:15 PM

Diane,
A big cyger for you. It is no fun to get this kind of mixed results and to have your own doctor out of town on top of it. How about getting an appointment with your own doctor as soon as possible after he returns to go over the results. Could you request a copy of the report or reports of this CT scan so you can have some questions to ask.

As Mary Ellen says "don't waste a good panic", as everything else looks good. Try to breathe (I know, easier said than done).

More s
Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Hi Sisters,

Thank you for the reponses. Good to know your there.

I wanted to clarify the last Ctscan compared to the first. The first one said 'it cannot rule out recurrence'. This last report says "soft tissue MAY be due to recurrence'. The chosen words in the report may be a question of different labs/radiologists using different terminology. However, I got the sense that this ONC/GYN was more concerned?

I realize other stuff looks very good and I should be pleased and reasurred. But, there is no way I can just be calm about that 2nd read on my CTscan.

Waiting for my other ONC to get back is not that exciting either. As I have mentioned a few times...she is brilliant but socially challanged. Up till now she was the only one for this area. She is very difficult to talk with...I mean waaaay difficult. She almost brushes me off. Rolls her eyes...it's almost comical. Except, my health may be at stake. Not sure I want to deal with her anymore. But, the pickens are slim for ONC/GYN's.

I tried to call my regular GYN and was told she would like to talk with my ONC before she gets involved. Well, that's not until the 12th. I think I need a valium IV drip...to carry around with me wherever I go. lol

Nothing I can do now....a big 4th of July weekend. I will just have to hang tight until I can get more resolution.

I think I need a good CRY......waaaaaaaah!

silly me, Diane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register