incisional hernia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

incisional hernia incisional hernia

Unread 07-03-2005, 06:49 AM
incisional hernia

Hello ladies, (this is going to be a long one)

I finally got in to see my insensitive ego-maniac gyn surgeon on friday about the possible hematoma at my bikini line incision and he just acted like it was something he had never seen before in "his" patients, but had witnessed it from other doctors, he also said he thought we should check for a possible hernia under the incision, but was very hush, hush about it and did not explain what an incisional hernia was, he just kept saying it probably wasn't anything, but we should check to be sure, then he schedules me for an ultra sound next Friday! another week in pain when he has an ultra sound machine in his office. So I go home and I do a little research on my own about incisional hernias and everything I've read, is exactly whats going on with me now. The hematoma has hardened and when I lay down I have a protrusion that is quite painful to the touch, and incisional weeping. Everything I researched said this was dangerous to leave unrepaired as it could get bigger and possibly lead to abcess or infection. My surgeon sent me home friday knowing that I could have a hernia, with no instructions about not lifting or binding it, or supporting it when I cough, which really hurts now. Well I've decided I'm not going to wait until next friday, I am going to have my general physician order the ultrasound on Tuesday and have him reccommend a "real Surgeon" who can repair this hernia. Has anyone ever had an incisional hernia? If so how long from diagnosis to repair was it? I have been trying to tell my surgeon for almost two weeks that something was wrong and he just blew me off as if it were in my head while my G.P. said it needed to be treated immediately 2 weeks ago? What would you do about this kind of surgeon? Should I make him repair the hernia or should I find another surgeon? I do not feel comfortable with this surgeon being in charge of my care at this point. I know post-op complications can occur and I would not have been angry with him if he would just have taken me seriously when this started and not treated me like I was just looking for another refill for pain medication, or just being "hormonal" My G.P. has been giving me pain meds because he says there is no reason for me to be suffering like this. My G.P. shouldn't have to be treating my post-op complications should he? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry this was so long, it is just that I am feeling rage and hurt over this whole situation right now and I just don't know what to do.

Thank you and love to you all,

Robi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-03-2005, 07:25 AM
incisional hernia

Hi, Robi!

I'm sorry you are having this complication. What a complete drag!

I had to laugh at your description of your surgeon - he sounds like a real winner!

If you are uncomfortable with him at this point, I'd say find someone else. however, you may find that a new surgeon will be reluctant to fix another one's mess this soon after the original surgery. Surgeons can be weird that way. Then there are some that feel it is their plight in life to rescue their patients from the "less able" surgeons in the world and won't bat an eye about it!

Your GP sounds great, so maybe he can give you a recommendation as well as contacting that dr. for you and explaining the situation and why you need to seek help from someone else other than the original surgeon.

GOod luck. I hope your pain is fixed soon. Be a good princess and lay down on the couch, OK?

hugs,
Jo
Unread 07-04-2005, 11:58 PM
incisional hernia

I would find another surgon. They thought I had a herina also. I had surgery again and it turned out to be adhesions. The recovery time is alot faster than your hyster and the surgery is alot easier too. I would make an app. with a new doc. as soon as possible. Why suffer and be in any more pain. So far since my second surgery I've been doing really good. I started work last wk. 12 hr. shifts and I 've been handling myself pretty good. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-05-2005, 05:41 AM
incisional hernia

I am not sure if what you are experiencing is the same as what onset for me last night or not. I am interested in knowing. I am 8 weeks post op now.

I have had a knot under my incision site since surgery which was explained as the layers being put back together. At first it was like a summer sausage under the incision, then shrank to about a hotdog size thing. However the right side of the insicions has always been a hard knot. Last night my husband touched it goofing around (not very hard) and all of the sudden pain was shooting thru my stomach. The knot was very swollen and fire red. Also there is a small hold on that end of my incision that is wheeping a very thick grey yellow puss kind of stuff. I called my GP and will be in his office when they open at 8 AM.

What makes me wonder if it is the same as you is that the first thing he mentioned on the phone was surgery to correct the issue.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register