What is your tummy like? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is your tummy like? What is your tummy like?

Unread 07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
What is your tummy like?

Mine, on day #5, is bigger than it was before, even though I no longer feel full of gas. You would think that eliminating the giant fibroids would make it smaller? It's also very hard, and when I press on it, feels a little numb.

What's going on in there? I understand the whole swelly belly thing, but is it normal for it to be so hard?

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
What is your tummy like?

As of now, 3 weeks post-op, it's flatter at the top, then there is a swollen flap that hangs over my scar and under the scar is a little swollen. I describe it as an evil grin when I look in the mirror. I'm hoping the swollen flap goes down eventually.

When I was early in post-op like you, my belly was swollen all over.
Unread 07-06-2005, 06:58 PM
What is your tummy like?

I had a TLH, and I never had the swelly belly thing. One week after surgery once I could tolerate my blue jeans on my incision line I wore them. I'm not sure what all the swelly belly stuff is from. Is it more common in a abdominal hysterectomy? As far as being hard could it be gas, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2005, 11:00 PM
What is your tummy like?

Hi,
I am 3 wks post op and my tummy was very swollen the first couple of weeks, I noticed today though that the top of my incision and tummy is going down. I also have been loosing some weight with it. The hardness and swelling has gone down a lot too. Give it some time and rest. It will get better.

Happy healing

Andrea
TAH, 6/14/05, kept ovaries, removed uterus and cervix due to Adnomyosis.
Unread 07-07-2005, 06:52 AM
What is your tummy like?

Hi Ladies,

Funny you should ask this question. My belly looks like "butt cheeks"!! LOL
Please tell me I'm not the only one!
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:29 AM
What is your tummy like?

Diamondpuff, Thanks for the giggles. I really don't know that much about the swelling except that the more stitches you received, the more recovery time you need. It is very difficult to remain a couch potato for 6 weeks and I know that I push the envelope often. I was walking but the gyn found out and blew a fuse. It made me feel better but I would swell up badly later in the day. I still swell every evening but it has only been 4 weeks and I really don't remain on the sofa long. Yesterday was my first time driving and I hurt today. All my insides are sore. I had a TAH&BSO with a tummy tuck to make hubby and I happy.
Unread 07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
What is your tummy like?

9 Days Post Op, and I have had the hard swelly belly too. It seems better in the a.m. and then swells again by the end of the day. I have a big swell right above my incision (AH saved ovaries). Keep waiting, and if you wait long enough it will go away lol. At least mine is starting to.
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:15 PM
What is your tummy like?

im 16 days post op mines still a bit numb which is normal because of the use of the med.ball at hospital its still swollen some to gets worse with more activity which my dr says is normal.i had my 2 week check today and was told to slowly get back to my normal routine over the next 2 weeks my dr does not beleive in staying on the couch as long as your not lifting or straining increasing activity is good i was told i had everything took out plus endo burned i think your tummy is normal.
Unread 07-07-2005, 10:17 PM
What is your tummy like?

I still look like I swallowed a basket ball and mine is hard only when I stand or sit. It is soft when I lie on my back. I seem to have to separate swell lines, which have been there since day 1. My GP doesn't think it is normal but not too sure what it is.
Kat
Unread 07-07-2005, 11:53 PM
What is your tummy like?

Well, I was June 15th and was SUPPOSED to be TVH but he changed it at the last minute just before we went in to an LAVH. That got me hysterically upset (he promised NO CUTTING at all at the initial exam and I had devious suspicions about the whole thing when at PreOp they gave me bentine wash for the entire tummy and bottom area- why TUMMY??? and then they shaved my belly during prep and I was looking at DH with my eyes wide to say WHAT IS GOING ON ??? then the Dr came in and talked to us becuase he heard me crying and getting upset over the band they put on my wrist that said LAVH and I screamed NO - it is TVH !!!) but here I am postop for just over three weeks with the same swelly tender belly stuck with me. I do push the envelope SOME days like today was nearly 5 miles in total but walking at diff times of the day. It felt really good yesterday to get all the two miles around our lake again on my own while DH sat biting his nails over it. I was humming ROCKY THEME when I got over the hill to our house ! (Small hill ladies- chill out. The big one is down the road and I got over it just fine three times in two days now.) We had vacation in Michigan that was bittersweet. I really needed to get away and DH took me to the beach every day just us. The boys are old enough to stay in the camper or the campground and do what they want and they are not too excited about a hot day at the beach like I am. It was packed and hot, and I spent alot of time journaling, reading, and crying my eyes out over all this. DH really helped out alot and took me into the water (no swimming till after next week yet as I am infection prone and they said at least four weeks which is VERY upsetting for me) just thigh-high and cupped his hands and cooled me off with the water. It was very touching and warmed my heart as well as cooled me off to make up for not being able to splash in under the water. In fact, I had HIM go under FOR ME. That was fun because I shoved him in when he threatened to spank me. haha And he lost sunglasses that are NOT his ! (They belong to a famous wounded soldier who is "our boy" and you have probably seen him all over the news - he was injured in Iraq last January and he lost his leg, but we got to keep HIM ! We took him to Florida with us over Christmas and he spent that one year anniversary of the attack on his Quartermaster Unit with us- making up for that night he told us to get online to talk to him and by the time we got the note, he was gone and then the attack happened. Anyway- the sunglasses were his and DH had to go feel for them in the waves and he found them and I got a "spanking" anyway !)
And then last night, he had to take the brand new pumper truck to our county fair and he took me with him- pillows, book, laptop, and all I needed, packed me up and took me in. Believe me, ladies, a firetruck is NOT the most comfortable ride ! It's like being in the front roller coaster car ! But we got parked, and he set me up, had DS (older one) go with me to get some taters and sat me back down to rest. And here comes my DOC !!! Hahaha I had a face FULL of hot taters on a HUGE plate. Big greasy things with ketchup all over my face. He just laughed and said he was on his way to get some of those but DH got huge points for having me all set in pillows and resting and NOT up walking all over the Fair !!! So my walks are very slow and take me over TWICE the time I used to, but I am happy to be up doing them even though it means I get almost NOTHING else done right now. THAT is what is very upsetting for me and anger is setting in. Everyone is doing as much as they can- fixing suppers and all meals (I don't eat during the day at all usually but eat evening meals) and washing the vehicles, mowing, runnign the sweeper twice a day and helping with laundry. they leave me the dusting at my request but I used to do it EVERY DAY and now I feel so far behind and today went by and I've only done it once this week. I lay out on top of the pool on a huge island and feel like a watermelon. I really hate this, and it is not helping me. My bbutton is very sore still and guess what??? The hip pain is back. I thought that would go away but the less I walked, the more it hurt, so I walk and it goes away but the belly swells up from walking so much now. To make matters worse, I am trying to get off the pain killers and get my life back and am to start on Advil or Motrin tomorrow. I hope that helps with memory as some of it is coming back today !!! I feel like I have been out of it for six months now and DH says I HAVE. Our Anniversary (21st) is next Friday and we have a "date" he set up. Plus a little get away for that six week mark but I hate the way I look right now though he keeps telling me he thinks I am beautiful. He's offering to get me new clothes and whatever but my heart is not into that seeing that I got the hospital bill today and more is comng. So far, over $5K with me owing $500 of it so far on my own deductible and copays. Knowing that more is coming is just making me feel like I wish I had not done this because I don't feel as good as everyone kept saying I would. With all the prblems I already had with my hearing and my heart, you can imagine I was NOT wanting to do this at all. I still have those fears of being "half a woman" and losing my libido even though DH and I have found I can still do "that" but I fear losing it as the six week mark gets here even though I got to keep my ovaries. It would help if my belly was not so tender and they said I have over 120 stitches in three diff kinds that will take over 3 months to dissolve. They are kind of "scratchy" feeling on the inside and I can feel them on the inside of the vagina walls. I can't sleep much either. At night it is like torture and it feels like WHY did I do this and WHAT is any different????? I traded ne set of pain for another. And I am TIRED of RESTING and wasting my summer! Here's wishing my belly would get back to normal. I was hoping to be blessed wtih a flat one once I got out that tumor-filled 12 week huge thing. But I also didn't want to get rid of that thing in the first place either !
PS- I did manage to get EIGHT gallons of black raspberries with help of younger DS and DH helping me by driving me back and forth to my patches. I will post the recipie for pie because it is PERFECT for Sisters who need rest but want some good fruit pie that is EASY for them to do !!! And a Hostess can post it as she wants with my blessings to share. Wish I could have shared the pie with you all. It was very good and so were the fireworks on the Silver Beach in St Joe Michigan where we like to go. We didn't do as much as normal like go up to South Haven- DH didn't want me doing too much. So next trip will be more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register