Doc wants to do TVH with Rectocele repair/Bladder repair/Pelvic Floor repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doc wants to do TVH with Rectocele repair/Bladder repair/Pelvic Floor repair Doc wants to do TVH with Rectocele repair/Bladder repair/Pelvic Floor repair

Unread 07-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Doc wants to do TVH with Rectocele repair/Bladder repair/Pelvic Floor repair

I've had problems with fibroids and prolaspe issues for the last 8 years. Nothing disabling. Yet prolapse has now caused intestinal issues. Uterus is 2 1/2 times norm size. 3 Grape size fibroids. Lots of pressure in pelviic area before and after period. Have had 2 docs say uterus needs to come up. Repair pelvi floor and intestinse. Lift baldder. Had one other doc say just wait till it gets so bad you can't stand it. Have tried several different hormones to alleviate excesive bleeding. Have found I just can't take estrogen in any form. I'm very healthy other wise. Used to weight train excessively "with very heavy weight". Now train in moderation. Lean upper/ Lean mid section. What weight I do carry is on lower, yet very minimal. 46 years old. Trust the doc I'm seeing alot. He has seen me for several per-op appointments, and I keep changing my mind. Doc is confident does not need to remove ovaries. Doc wants to do TVH. Honestly reading this web site scares me and makes me wonder "hmm deal with issues since there not completely disabling". yet doc says uterus is only getting bigger. Size of two fists plus. If I don't do it soon, then he'll have to do a abdominal Hysterectomy. Additionally the intestinal issue drives me nuts. The doc says the bowel has created a pouch into the vagina, and the stool just sits there, then smooshes out of the rectum. Just wondering if any one out there has had similar problems, and been able to resolve happily with surgery. I must say I'm also tired of feeling the pressure in between my legs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2005, 07:55 PM

I'm having the same repairs in a couple of weeks. I don't feel horrible every single day, but there are days that there is so much pain and pressure that I need to go lay back down in bed by noon. On the good days, I wonder why I am going through this and if I should cancel. But, the pain and pressure comes back. I had bladder repair in May and it's not working as well as it should because of the uterine prolapse. The rectocele does bother me every day though, but it is not debilitating.
Unread 07-11-2005, 10:38 PM

Thanks for your reply Diane. I can relate to the good days. I do the same thing. I Will go many days and wonder why would I have surgery it feels fine. Maybe I can just get by. Then whoa pelvic pressure reminds me! Yet reading some of the aftermath stories makes me wonder if the possible exchange is worth it. My biggest concern is that my life is not controlled by meds. The hormone thing scares me. I'm in good condition and the thought that something could go wrong and change that scares me. Sometimes we don't realize how fortunate we really are. I had a herni repair almost 4 years ago. The doc had used far too much mesh. Caused intense pain. Then last year a different doc went in and removed the excess and completely resolved the pain. Yet I'll tell you that altered life with pain was so scary. The slightest thing can change major things. This is why I find myself swaying to the "I can get by attitude". Then days like this last week after my mense make me think heavily about doing the surgery.
Especially the pressure on the vaginal area, and the bowels feeling like I need to have a BM, and theres not really enough there to go. Confused!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 06:24 PM

Hi,
I had almost the exact problems you're describing. I had prolapses for nearly 20 years until it got so bad that the cervix was protruding and I finally felt I "had" to do something about it. My experience has been very positive, both during the recovery process and after, and I am nowhere near as physically fit as you are. The biggest complaint I had was that it was uncomfortable to sit for long periods during the first couple of months. Not impossible, just uncomfortable, resulting in lots of squirming around. DR said that was due to the mesh used to reinforce the vagina. I had almost no pain, starting right after surgery. Needed no pain meds in the hospital or afterwards. I don't want to say that there are no risks, just that my particular case is a success story.
Ashley
Unread 07-12-2005, 10:08 PM

Ashley,
Thanks so much for sharing your story. Did you keep your Ovaries. How do you feel hormone wise?
The doc hasn't explained the exact degree of my prolapse. The doc has stated that I really can't wait any longer for the rectocele, says it's actually going to fall ou t threw my vagina at the rate it is going. I definetly feel swollen in the vaginal area when I walk. This seems to happen just 5 days or so after my mense starts. Then seems to be at its worst day 10-12 when I'm ovulating, then go away about day 13. Dosen't happen each month. Seems like on the months that my mense is heavy, it is prevelant. I know I just need to have the surgery. Doc says when ever I'm ready, he's good with that. He has expressed his concerns with me waiting and the Uterus getting to large to remove vaginally. Doc also says bleeding will only get worse. This last two months have been the hardest with the bowel pressue, and very noisy passing gas, "which I'm usually silent". Sorry that probably sounded pretty gross. Thanks again for sharing some of your experience.

Terri
Unread 07-12-2005, 10:40 PM

Terri,
I am having TVH surg. on the 27th of July for the same things you are. I am physicaly fit and love to work out, but the more I do physicaly the worse the rectocele and bladder get. I have a prolasped uterus, rectocele and cystocele. They are going to take out my uterus, put my bladder in a mesh sling and fix the rectocele and my pelvic floor. Most of the time I actually have to push on the rectocele to have a "okay" BM. It does seem to be getting worse. But I have put off my surgery 3 times due to the fact that I can deal with the pain and "it isn't so bad". But the pressure feeling is killing me and sex just isn't the same. Plus, when my period come I am in agony!! Sometimes I think that everything is just "going to fall out" if I wait any longer. I am keeping my ovaries due to the fact that I am 31 and don't want to be on HRT for 20+ years. I do think that your problems will only get worse (mine have). I think that you will feel better if you have it done. I will let you know how it goes with me since we are practally having the same thing done. Oh... My Dr. did say that he will "fix me up" to where I will be as "tight" as I was before I had kids! That is a plus for me (and my husband) since it was all the kids who did this to me!!
Good Luck and God Bless!!
Amanda
Unread 07-13-2005, 12:16 AM

I also had a TVH due to prolapse, my uterus was badly prolapsed and my bowel was also. I thought my bladder was, but once the doc. got in there she seen the my bladder was fine. I also use to wt. train, but not so much any more. The doc. has given me a wt. rest. of 30 pds. So I have to be careful now. I had a lot of pressure and pain before my surgery. My uterus was so low the doc. said it was like I was carring a 2 pd. wt. around. I can really feel the difference now, I feel light as a feather. If you really trust your doc. and if things are only getting worse you might to go ahead and get the surgery done. I also put this surgery off for yrs. and only made things worse. Now I'm happy I finally got it done and I can go on with my life. Good luck to you!
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:29 AM

To J.D. who had a uterine prolapse, I am scheduled to have this done and my uterus does not come out into the vagina but I do have pressue. Sometimes I thing it is just my bladder that needs the repair and I am scare to have the uterus taken out. How is your sex life after?
Unread 07-13-2005, 09:51 AM

Can anyone help with the question of after your cervex is removed and uterus if sex is normal?
Unread 07-13-2005, 03:39 PM

I Love all the wealth of experiences shared in response to my post!. JD yours very sounds interesting. My doc was actually focusing allot on the bladder issues with me until I expressed to him that I don't experience incontinence, or the frequent urine problems " except at my mense time". The only time the Bladder has been a obvious issue for me is maybe twice a month when I sneeze a "very tiny tiny" bit of urine may leak. The uterus prob's have been prevelent for a long time. Ultrasounds have confirmed that it is bulboruous and has a min of 3 large fibroids. I really didn't know what the pressure in between my legs was until recently. When I bare down it is un believable how much the organs push down to the vagina opening. It's scary. Yet honestly, seems like every third or fourth month it rears its ugly head, then can go quite while before it bothers me. On the months that it does happen, It is mostly before and after my periods that I experiece this. At it's worst when I'm ovulatining. Do you know if after a hysterectomy when "keeping the ovaries" do you still ovulate? When I ovulate I'm surprised how swollen the vaginal lips get, and the pressure is immense, does feel Like everthig is going to fall out. Then about day 13-14 from start of mense all passes and I don't think about it till my next mense. I do find myself pre occupied with the stomach. Mainly because I eat really clean. Did use to train extensively. Up till 3 years ago I competed in many Naturall Body Builing Contests. NO never looked like a freak. Look more like fitness comp. Even though I'm not excercising regulary, my weight stays at 137, 5 foot 5. When I compete vary from 114 lbs up to 124 lbs depending on what weight division I enter. Yet the only thing that has really changed besides loosing some muscle , is my tummy.
Although my tummy is relatively flat, my lower tummy " does distend at times "horribly". Doc thinks it is the combo of the size of the Uterus/Fibroids and the rectocelle/entrocelle issues . Per doc though "don't make the mistake allot of woman do", thinking after the uterus is removed the stomach will be completely flat. I realize that depends allot on body fat, and muscle tone, yet when I was trainging I was still experiencing lower distention (even when I was able to pull in a six-eight pack for a comp).
I just don't like the pain I feel when my tummy distends!
JD:
How was your tummy before verse after your surgery?
Did you keep your ovaries?
Did they do all the work threw the vagina?
Last but not least. I truly believe staying with a weight under 30Lbs will be crucial after the surgery. Even when I was training for a comp. I only used Heavy weights fo the lower. It is my belief that woman do not need to train with Heavy weights for sculpt and definition. I only needed the heavy weights for the lower if I wanted to compete as a heavy weight. Even then it was only needed for the Leggs.

Please Share as much as possible!!

Terri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register