Left sided Flank Pain / ER last night | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Left sided Flank Pain / ER last night Left sided Flank Pain / ER last night

Unread 07-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Left sided Flank Pain / ER last night

I thought it was kidney stones, I swear I felt the stone in my urthra area on Wednesday & Thursday of last week. Friday the pain was pretty much gone, Saturday I could feel the pian in my ribs when I would breath (left side). By Saturday night the pain in my back (left side) was so bad I was driving around with my heated seat on in 90 degree weather. The pain was up higher in my back. Sunday morning I felt fine, but by evening I was so drawn out & tired I could not keep my eyes open. By bed time my lower back/flank area started hurting. When I woke up Monday I could hardly get out of bed the pain (left side) was so bad. Went to work & getting out of my desk was almost impossible. So finnally at 1030 I left work, went home & layed down till DH came home & took me to the er.

The first pain meds they gave me in the ER did not touch the pain, so they had to give me something stronger so I could move to get the CT scan done. The CT scan did not show any kidney stones, only thing it showed was that my lungs where cloudy, like with people with phonmina. ER doctor said more then likely the lungs are cloudy because of my shallow breathing due to the amount of pain I am in.

They did a urnie test & it showed blood in my urine, but no infection. ER doctor things I just pulled a mucle in my back or strained it. DH and I beg to differ.

The hospital we went to (closes one) is not a very good one. The doctor in the ER told me that I should go & follow up with my regular doctor. DH asked if it could be endo returning since I had 3 surgurys where they found endo (on premrin) the doctor said no cause if it where endo I would have had blood in my abdomin in the CT scan.

I asked if it could be from my nerve intrapment, he did not think so. Just fustrated my this new bad pain. My appitete has greatly decreased, having off & on headaches, no fever, urine out put has decreased, while fluid intake has increased....Need to vent. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 08:52 AM

Hey (((Sweety))),

I am so sorry you are going thru this!

So, let me get this straight... this ER doc thinks endo shows up on a CT scan? Hmmmm.... I think I'd have to send comments to the Chief of Staff on that one along with some articles to give his colleague. He really should not be giving out misinformation. I would thinkg the CofS would be most grateful to know of this sort of thing going on under his/her watch.

Back to you, I do hope an answer is found soon and that you are soon out of pain!!! Many s
Unread 07-12-2005, 09:29 AM

Dear Sweet Sister

I am so sorry you are going through this. I suggest getting a second opinion.

I don't have much confidence in ER doctors. My first run in with the ER was labor day weekend two years ago. It was my first indicatioin that I had fibroid tumors. I had such sharp pain I couldn't breath ... barely drove myself to the ER. The doctor felt my stomach and asked if I was pregnant. I told her no! She did a pregnancy test because my uterus was firm and to my belly button. After that came back negative (I told her so!!!) she did a pelvic exam and decided that I had fibroid tumors and told me that I would have to have a hysterectomy. When I told my gyn this he was not impressed. Of course there are other options!

Anyway ... since then my dh and I have seen better drs in other ERs, but this one left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I've been a lot more cautious.

Hope you find out what's really going wrong.

Keep us posted!

Ginger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 05:03 PM

Kim,
Did they do any bloodwork? Many years ago I went to the ER with extreme pain in the back and also in the stomach. They did a urine test, which did show a UTI, however, they didn't do any bloodwork. The next evening I was back in the ER with even more extreme pain. This time they did some bloodwork and turns out I had a kidney infection.

Did you call your doctor today? If not, you really need to.
Unread 07-12-2005, 06:43 PM

So let's see Kim, the blood in the urine is caused from a pulled muscle in your back? Interesting! I'm also wondering if he did any blood work, because if you pulled a muscle or strained one(which the definiton to a muscle strain is a tear) your CK level would be elevated. I would definetly go see your GP or someone. Something is going on! Wish you the best! Netty
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:23 PM

No, they did not do any blood work, just said it was a pulled or strained muscle & sent me on my way advising me to follow up with who ever treats me for my back pain. I tried to explain that I dont normally get back pain unless its kidney stones or when my endo was bad or when my ovaries had cysts. I dont think he understood that even though I have nerve entrapment I dont have back pain, my pain for that has been strickly in the groin going down my leg.

I wanted to go in yesterday and see my GP, but he was all booked up and they would only have me see the NP. I thought about going, but DH said he could not see me driving 100 miles only to be told that there was nothing she could do. He said he wanted me to stay home, drink fluids & rest. So I did. I felt a bit better when he had came home from work, but by bed time when the pain pills had worn off the pain was back.

Today the pain was strong at work, and its still bad. I feel a lot of pressure on my left side.

Kim you asked if they did any blood work to check for a kidney infection, they only did a urine test which they said was neg. but did contain blood. I wounder if the blood test would of given them the same awnser.

I fell again today, second time in almost 2 months, seems like my left leg just gives out especialy if I am walking on uneven ground. Not sure if that is related to all my pain.

DH thinks I should go to some health store & see what they can give me for my pain cause he does not think I should go see anymore doctors. I have never lost my balance as much as I have the past few months... I feel like a child learning how to walk.
Unread 07-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Reguarding balance issues

Sweety, have you seen a Neurologist for you balance issues? Is there pain with your leg or is it simply just giving out? As far as everything else going on In my opinion I think you need a good Doctor to figure all this out! Theres definetly something going on!! I hope you find some relieve soon!! Take Care Netty
Unread 07-14-2005, 04:12 PM

(((Kim)))
I don't think giving up on doctors is the answer. Trying some supplement without a doctor's guideance, but only that of a clerk in the store, may not do you much good. I think that is a roll of the dice. With all your problems, I don't think that's a gamble worth taking. And, as you don't what's going on as of yet, taking something without knowing what's wrong, could serve to make things much worse.

Unfortunately sometimes it can take some time and trying different doctors until you find one that is right for you. I went thru at least 20 since my hyst! Even before the hyst, I had some losers. But I kept trying and while I still have problems, I have some good doctors to turn to and who are looking out for me and at least are trying to resolve my problems. You have to keep opening those if you don't you'll never know what was behind them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register