Puberty and my 10 yr old daughter. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Puberty and my 10 yr old daughter. Puberty and my 10 yr old daughter.

Unread 08-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Puberty and my 10 yr old daughter.

I never hide anything from my kids. My DD started her period when she was 10. She came to me from the bathroom and told me " Mom I started my period" she had already seeked out a pad and secured it in place. I always had difficult periods so when I had mine and the kids wanted to me go out and play I told them Mommy is having her period and needs to rest. My son started going through puberty early also. I remember him coming to me crying that when he went to the bathroom "it" hurt. I explained it was starting to grow just like he was.

I remember when I was young and asked my Mom about the birds and the bees she actually told me a story about birds and bees and I was more confused then I was before I asked. Just be honest with your DD both of you will be better off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2005, 07:47 PM

I have been meaning to come back here and let you all know that I have told my DD about puberty and getting her period. She didnt want to discuss too much with me at first, but we were on our way to a friends house (just the two of us) and she really opened up to me with her questions and concerns. She initiated the conversation. That American Girl book The Care and Keeping of You, is an excellent book. I am glad that she knows she can come to me with her questions and concerns, I want her to always know that she can.

Thank you all for your advice!!!!
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:52 PM

My DD has been asking where babies come from since she was about 4.
I have told her that mum and dad have a special cuddle and that a baby is made in mum's tummy, and stays there until it is ready to be born.
She is now nearly 10 and has seem pads in the bathroom(and tampons) and has asked what they are for.
I have said that when she is 10 I will tell her, she will be 10 in 4 weeks, every day she is reminding me that I have to tell her on her birthday.
I am dreading this day, Knowing that she will one day soon have to have periods, and hope that she does not suffer with them like I did.
Zebra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 04:52 AM

That American girl book that is mentioned in a few of the posts on this thread, is an excellent book. I sat down with my daughter and we read it together. It is very well written in my opinion. Its called The Care and Keeping of You, if you can get this book, I highly recommend it.
I would love to hear how your daughter takes the news, let us know, ok?
Unread 08-19-2005, 06:53 AM

There is also a book called Period. My doc recomended it to my DD and it was great. I talked to her a little first and let her read the book on her own and then she asked me some questions. She still has the book and looks at it occasionaly.
Unread 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM

I saw my DD reading through hers again this week too. She has started back to school now, so I think that may have something to do with it, I dont know. I noticed yesterday when I went to pick her up though, that most of the girls in her class have already developed breasts. I wonder if any of them have started their periods yet.
Unread 08-19-2005, 02:43 PM

UGH I was 10 when I started. I only wish my mom had been more forthcoming. The only thing I knew about it was from watching the silly films they show in elementary school. I hope to be a lot more open with my son! I completely agree about educating the boys as well as the girls. My poor DS already knows so much at 6! Just from watching me go through surgery after surgery. Poor kid!

Hope your daughters never have to go through what we went through!! And I'm SOOO glad I had a boy!

s
Cortney
Unread 08-21-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyleigh1975
Huh .......... I dont even know where to start with this. I guess basically I am looking for advice on how to tell my 10 1/2 yr old daughter about puberty in general and getting her period. I am not ready to tell her about the sex part yet. I mean, if she has guestions, I would, but I am not going to open that can of worms yet if I dont have too. She is just so moody here lately and complains of headaches and stomach aches. I know she is not sick. The headaches and stomach aches she complains about are not too often, but I just wonder if they are a sign of things to come. I just want to hear some of your experiences with your daughters and this lovely period of time we call puberty.
hey! my daughter started out that way at first. she started getting pains in her chest, she was gettin her boobs. then she started getting hair on legs and her bottom area(between her legs). then she got hair under her arm pits, then finally all this time she was in puberty. always complaining about her stomach. she had ultrsounds, xrays, everything. then we were finally up to the hospital, dying in pain, she started her period. she is 10 years old. too young, but i have not told her about sex yet either. i don,t want to scare her. she was very hard to talk to about periods, until they done it in school. now she knows how to bea pad on and it doesn,t bother her. keep in touch!
Unread 09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Be honest!

My daughter is going to be 12 this weekend. She started her period when she was 10. We had talked about it before and she knew what it was all about. When that dreaded day occured she woke me up to tell me...and I quote this "Mom my butthole is bleeding"! I about died! I sent her back in the bathroom to check again where the blood was coming from. She came out and I told her it was her period. She cried. She was NOT ready for that. Since then she is of course fine with it. The best thing I can tell you is to be honest with her when she has questions about her body changing. Now for the sex questions...I've got a story on that one too. I have older nieces and they were joking around and said a boy at school "popped his own tent" in gym class. My daughter of course had no idea what that meant. She came and asked me, after having a near heart attack, I explained to her just what it meant. When I have these talks with my daughter I always tell her that I want her to feel comfortable talking to me about things like this. It's nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. I also tell her that she shouldn't go and share her new knowledge with her friends because their parents may not want their kids to know all the details yet. But information is your best weapon in defense. I try to be a "cool" mom and not freak out when she asks me some of the things she has heard from other kids. I wait and freak out when she's not around.....LOL!!

Leolioness
Unread 09-09-2005, 04:35 PM

I came in to my marriage with two boys of my own (at the time age 11 and 5) and a step daughter and son whom we have custody of( at the time age 9 and 6). My daughter's mother had told her absolutely nothing I explained everything to her in relation to the questions asked. My sons will be the most loving and caring men on the planet to the future girlfriends or wives, when the get their period. They just assume that when a women gets her period, she has no choice put to put the "Mommy training pad" on the bed that the husband goes and buys huge pads and she then lays in bed for 7-10 days, unless she is in the hospital. Even if theire future girlfirends/wives don't have the troubles I have, the will be treated like princesses!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register