Rectocele #2 (no it's not a pun) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele #2 (no it's not a pun) Rectocele #2 (no it's not a pun)

Unread 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Rectocele #2 (no it's not a pun)

My hyster and A&P repairs were done in April of 2004. Late fall, I felt pressure/fullness behind my vagina before BMS. I was checked by my surgeon, who said that everything was where he put it, but that maybe my colon was just acting up and to be sure to keep drinking fluids, using stool softeners, etc. He did give me the name of a colo-rectal surgeon if it started to really act up. Things were going pretty smoothly and two weeks ago, I thought I would end up in the ER. Spent 3 hours on the toilet, trying to get a BM out, which ended with me swollen & having to digitally remove alot of it. SInce then, I never feel like I'm emptying all the way. I called the colo guy and got in yesterday. Well, I have another rectocele, that while it's pushing on the vagina, is not bulging into it like my previous on did, but is a rather large pocket bulging out towards the rectum. To top it off, he's concerned about the rectal sphincter tone as he barely felt a difference when he told me to squeeze. So now I'm scheduled for an rectal manometry & a defecogram at the end of this month to figure out what all needs to be done. I'm so upset that I don't know whether to scream or cry.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2005, 07:21 PM

Hi Donna
I wish I could give you a big HUG. I know how you are feeling about now. I had my TAH in May 2004. I had bm issues everysince then. In Jan 2005 I had a large rectocele and enterocele repaired. I continued having bm issues. I am on Miralax, fiber rich diet, stool softeners and now a ducolox suppository every morning. I am under the care of a colon rectal surgeon. The uro/gyn I am also under looked inside my vagina with no pushing and said my repair looks good. I have a hard time getting the bm to even come down into my rectum. Quite often once it gets down there I have to push a bulge in and really push to empty. I don't see a bulge like I did with my rectocele, but I can feel the bm in there. I am waiting to have a defecography done. The barium is still under recall. I had the defecography done in Dec. and that is how they found my enterocele which had not been diagnosed. I am wondering now if I have another prolapse.
I hope all goes well for you and you get this fixed for good. I feel like crying too.
Peggy
Unread 07-14-2005, 08:16 PM

Peggy,
Thanks! I saw my gyn today for my annual exam (he's not who did the hyster & repairs). I was happy with the timing of the appointment, cause he's a nice guy & an excellent doctor, who I've been going to for 24 years. He confirmed that the rectocele that I have now is a new much lower one and not the spot that was previously repaired. I was also worried that maybe the cystocele was back (imagination going wild and all), but it's not . I feel much better after seeing him today and getting his imput on the situation & type of procedure that the colorectal guy will most likely do.
I have my defecography scheduled for August 1, but am waiting to hear about the anal manometry.
My colon has always been a little finicky but no more so now than before my surgery. I just have to switch around what I do every couple of weeks as far as natural (or unnatural) laxatives go & do take Metamucil every day. I am so sorry to hear that you have been having more than you share of problems and hope that things get better quickly.
Here's a HUG for you!
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2005, 08:23 PM

Thanks Donna
This sounds gross, but sometimes when I push to move my bowels I can hear and feel like a suctioning sensation. Have any ideas? My left colon area has been acting up every since my hyst. I am sitting here listening and feeling that area rumble and jerk around. I am wanting to find out what is going on, but so far I have no luck. Last Aug. a gastro said it was IBS only after finding nothing wrong from a colonoscopy. I never had these symptoms before my hyst and don't feel it is IBS, especially only being on that left side area.
I hope we both get these issues resolved. It sounds like you are ready to get it fixed. I don't even know what is going on yet. I really don't want another surgery. My repair was just under 6 months ago.
Good luck !

Peggy
Unread 07-14-2005, 09:15 PM

Hi Donna,

My name is Donna and I had a TVH March 1, 2005. I also had bowel/bladder/perineum repairs. Much to my dismay, the gyno I saw after said that I still have prolapses. I'm hoping that it is too early to assume the worst and maybe some time will heal things. I have a very sorry rectum with hemmeroid and am certain my rectocele is back and worse. I am getting looked at further. Just wanted you to know you are definitely not alone as some days I think I am.....

Pookeybear
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:07 PM

Peggy,
Sorry, I don't know what the suctioning sensation could be. Could it be the "solids" trying to displace the gas and not making any progress?
Got the call today that the manometry is scheduled for Tuesday morning. Glad it's sooner rather than later (the 1st date they tried to get was a week later, but the tech is on vacation then).
Take care.
Donna
Unread 07-15-2005, 09:17 PM

Hi, Donna,
Sorry to hear that you are having problems as well, and so soon after your surgery. Did your gyn say that the prolapses were in the same spot or new ones? I'm glad that it's not just me, but feel for all of us that are still having problems.
Here's a HUG for you!
Donna
Unread 07-16-2005, 08:15 PM

Yes, the prolapses are in the same places. Do you know anything about scar tissue? If I got another surgery would I loose all sensation down there? Thanks for your support.

Donna
Unread 07-18-2005, 08:15 AM

Hi Donna
I had already lst alot of sensations in there before I had my repairs. Actually, I started losing sensations before I had my TAH. I can't explain what is going on. I didn't feel a bit of pain after I had the repairs. I had my yearly fri with my gyn. He showed me the report the pelvic floor dr (uro/gyn) sent him after the urodynamic testing. plan is to do some kind of nerve testing to see if that is why my pelvic floor isn't functioning right. I am scared I have pernament nerve damage. He also plans on doing another pelvic exam and surgery consultation. I am thinking the 4 c sections and the TAH and repairs messed up my pelvic nerves.
I had a anal manometry in APril and those results were normal. I am very confused as to what is going on. I think scar tissue pulls on nerves and could very well mess up sensations. I don't think it is fair us females have to go through so much.
Hang in there. I hope things go well for you.
Peggy
Unread 07-21-2005, 09:09 PM

Hi Peggy,
Your not kidding about how hard it is on us women. Having babies, getting hysts, fixing prolapses, losing sensations and elasticity! Not fair. I wish I could get rid of my swelly belly, my prolapses that were not fixed properly and these bleeding hemorrhoids. I kept my ovaries but still find I get depressed often when thinking about the age I had to have this done, I guess feeling sorry for myself more than anything. Then I come to this site and see what others have endured and should be greatful for what I do have and quit whining! Thank the good lord for this site. It has shown me that I'm not alone although most days I feel like it. I hope things turn out well for you too.
Take care.
Donna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register