Holy smokes!! the gas is incredible!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Holy smokes!!  the gas is incredible!! Holy smokes!! the gas is incredible!!

Unread 07-15-2005, 06:24 AM
Holy smokes!! the gas is incredible!!

Whoo hoooo!!!!

My surgery was able to be done by lap.....BUT...noone told me the would be so much worse than Abdominal sugery!!! I've never experienced this before....

My gallbladder came out with no problems and I have 4 slits in my belly and am pretty black and blue. I only had to stay over night thank goodness but am having problems laying down. The recliner isn't helping and I feel like I have this basketball pushing on my insides.

I'm hoping I can get up and walk a little outside today and help things along, but can anyone tell me how long this lasts? And how long healing from a lap takes? I have heard some girls are up and running in three days...and the way I feel now...I just can't picture it for me.

What is the standard for healing? what should I not be doing? My surgeon said I could take a shower when I wanted to and I have no stitches...just steri strips. My surgeon didn't give me any instructions on what and what not to do. Can I go up and down stairs? What about lifting?

He didn't do any looking around for me...which I kinda expected him not to even tho I was hoping he would. So after I heal from this back to the doc I go to check on the possible bowel obstruction...that ought to be fun.

any suggestions girls? I could use some advice here....

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2005, 07:15 AM
Checkpoints

Check out the checkpoints for some general guidence, they'll help you along with good information. And you can sign up for them to be sent to you automatically during your recovery.

Checkpoints
Unread 07-15-2005, 08:26 AM

Dawn,
I'm glad that your surgery went well! And I'm glad they were able to do it lap! I'm sorry you aren't getting any relief right now, though! Hopefully soon! The gas is horrible, I know!!! (I tried to warn you!!! LOL) I wish the recliner was helping!! But mostly, I'm glad you are doing better. It won't be long and you'll be out and about! I don't know about the exact instructions....you might want to give your doc's office a call to clarify before the weekend. Most likely by this weekend you'll be able to get around a little bit better. Probably not nearly as well as normal, but if you take it easy, you will be able to be up and around. By next week you will start to feel back to normal. A little tender, but closer to your old self.

Take care!!! Don't push yourself too hard, too fast!

s
Cortney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2005, 09:13 AM

For the gas, I found alternating between walking around and lying FLAT helped a lot. Walking seems to keep the gas from ganging up in one spot, and also probably helps it to diffuse out of your system. Lying FLAT keeps the gas from pressing up against your shoulders. Don't even use a pillow if you can stand not to. Once you're allowed to use a heating pad, that's enormously helpful. It probably doesn't DO anything about the gas. My theory is that it relaxes your torso to make more room for it.
Unread 07-15-2005, 11:39 AM

So sorry you are so uncomfortable! I had my gallbladder removed via lap, and they never mentioned this to me. Thankfully, I didn't have this problem (though I have no idea why).

A few years ago they came out with a study that said for c-section patients who were suffering from gas pains, the best thing to help relieve them was rocking in a rocking chair. Maybe that would help you?

I surely hope this is over quickly so you can begin your recovery. Take care.
Unread 07-15-2005, 12:09 PM

Dawn,
I usually have problems with after surgery. It is very uncomfortable. I found gasx to be very helpful. After one of my laps they gave me something in the hospital that started with an M that worked really really well. Wish I could remember what it was. Getting up and taking short walks should help also. Perhaps you should give the doctor a call and see what he recommends.

Unread 07-15-2005, 01:09 PM

Hi Dawn~

I had my gallbladder surgery via lap in 1999. The incisions seemed to hurt worse for that one than they did for the hyst...probably because they were further up the body. I remember the gas...only mine went up into my shoulders ("slight discomfort" they told me...ha!). The rocking motions seemed to help.

As far as recovery...and I'm a very slow recoverer...I had my surgery on a Friday, went to church the next Sunday (although I was very weak), was able to teach piano lessons the week after (although it was a struggle)... I think it took a good 6 weeks to be my "total" self again...we went to the beach 6 weeks later and I guess I was OK because I don't remember.

Some people do alot better than that...well, most people do. They did not want me to drive for 2 weeks or lift for about 6....and they wanted me to roll out of bed instead of using my stomach muscles (like I wanted to). I was just thankful that bad boy was out.

I hope this solves most of the problems you have been having...take care and get plenty of rest. This surgery knocked me down, but definately not as much as the hyst....hopefully you are not a slow recoverer..

best wishes!!
Unread 07-15-2005, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the idea's girls!!!

I had bought some gas-x but left it in the bedside table at the castle.. this had worked for me in the past and I'll have DH get me some on his way home from work.

I've been taking walks outside with my dad and DD and they are helping me over the worst of it, Thank goodness.

You never know till you just can't how much you appreciate being able to!!!!

Dawn
Unread 07-15-2005, 03:33 PM

Hey Dawn,

Gas what a blast! ha ha. Glad to see you are home and doing well. You should being upa nd about anytime now. When I had my gallbladder out via lap in 99, I was back in school 3 days after. I know I am not the norm and I don't listen to drs very well. I was sore and tired but I didn't run any marathons or things like that. Take it easy and behave okay.

Sally
Unread 07-15-2005, 06:59 PM

(((Dawn)))) I hope your feeling better by now girl Sounds like the I had after a d&c/miscarriage: it was simply awful!! Walking, drinking water and GasX all help. I find that walking helps the most so, hopefully, you got that walk in today "to help move things along".

Lots of hugs your way. Hope your visit to the colon doctor goes well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register