Home and in major pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home and in major pain Home and in major pain

Unread 07-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Home and in major pain

Hi everyone,

I am home, got home about 5 pm yesterday and from what I heard from my dr surgery was for nothing. She found NOTHING that could be causing the pain. I go back to see her on the 25th and man am I going to have questions. I guess there was no need for the barrier. I am unabale to do any pain meds so lets just say I don't feel the best. I get up to use the bathroom and then back to bed. I can't stand up straight and the incision pain and the pelvic pain are pretty bad. I can feel every spot that little scope hit. I am behaving myself and not doing much. I am still nausous when I stand up so I am still doing the clear liquid thing. I am still seeing double(left over anesthesia) and was told she did remove my right ovary which I don't have. Pretty interesting from what I am gathering. Iwas told just before they sent me home they were giving me the wrong information (someone elses chart) I don't know anymore. I am just tired of the pain but am realizing I may just have to grin and bear it. Oh well, that is what is going on.

Dawn, How are you doing?? Behaving yourself I hope.

Keri, How are you doing?? I did get my call back from the dr about the barrier and she basically told me no. Are you behaving? I hope.

I am going to ask about nerve damage when I go back to see my dr.

I am going back to bed so I will touch back later

Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Home and in major pain

(((Sally)))
I can relate! Three years ago I had an exploratory lap and the doc found NOTHING! He said he kept looking and looking, hoping to find something that would explain my pain and problems. I was devastated. I guess I should've been happy that there was nothing life threatening in there, but I went home the same as I went in, with no answers but in a bit more pain.

I too hurt really bad afterwards. I think it must've been from the doc poking around in there. That is why I always say, surgery is surgery! A lap is surgery. While it may not be an invasive as an abdominal incision, it is still surgery and anytime a doc goes poking around, it can cause pain.

One thing I have found is that with each additional surgery I have had, it takes me longer to recover.

Unread 07-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Home and in major pain

Thanks Kim,

How do you deal with the pain? Did they ever find out what was causing it? I can't do pain meds and most of the time the pain gets to the point I have to barf. I know they surgery pain will go away but the pelvic pain probably won't. Did you just get use to the pain?? I am just frustrated at this point and want my life back. I want to walk, swim and just be able to function. At this point I don't know if that will happen. Any insight??

Thanks
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Home and in major pain

Awwww I'm sorry Sally that nothing was found...however.....didn't you say she removed the right ovary?

this could have very well been the source of your pain and if she removed that this time....you will still feel pain in the pelvic area honey. Could this have been an ovarian remnant by any chance? I know all about THAT one!! Don't be to dissipointed yet!!! Maybe that was the problem? give your self some time to heal honey..If she removed the ovary you will still feel the pelvic pain from the removal of that. isn't there ANYTHING you can take? Advil? Aleve? something natural? I feel so bad that you can't take pain meds honey...

Here's some

Dawn
Unread 07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Home and in major pain

Hey Dawn,

I must have forgot to put in my post that the nurse was reading the wrong chart. She found nothing and removed nothing. I guess I almost freaked when they mentioned the right ovary. The ovaries were removed Dec. 2003.

I can't take anything. The anesthesiologist almost freaked when he was reading my list of forbidden drugs. I had to wear a band that basic said give me nothing!

How are you doing???? Did you get the gasx yet. I hpe you feel better in that respect soon. I remember that oh to well and thank goodness I don't have that problem. Keep healing okay. s are coming your way.

Thanks for the support.

Sally
Unread 07-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Home and in major pain

Sally,
I too have problems with lots of meds, but the Duragesic patch and darvocet I seem to do okay with. Than again, they may be contributing to my continuing problems. Some days, I don't know how I make it through, while other days I do okay.

I have been going to accupuncture for 2 years now. My accupuncture doctor is an amazing lady. While we haven't solved my problems, at least we are trying and I have had some relief, it's just become sporadic and my body doesn't seem to be cooperating. I guess anything that gives one hope is good.

I do know that I have nerve damage and even went so far as to have the nerves removed. But that wasn't the ultimate answer. As my doctor explained, you can't actually remove the nerve, only snip off the damaged parts and than the nerve can regenerate and continue to give off signals.

I also know that I have digestive problems, but as of yet have not been able to find out why or how to solve it.

What I do know has been a process of elimination and many many tests. Constantly looking for answers and trying new docs.

Another thing I have learned is to listen to my body, I used to just keep going, and it only served to make everything worse. Now, when my body is telling me to stop and rest, that is what I do. My heating pad is my best friend.

Unread 07-18-2005, 07:36 AM
Home and in major pain

Thanks Kim,

The pain is still pretty bad and I can't even do duregsics. My drs call me a walking medical mishap. I did acupuncture for a long time with no relief. I was okay for about 20 minutes after each session and then the pain was back and was actually worse for a while. I also suffer from IBS and have for many years prior to my hyst. Never had pelvic pain with it. My IBS is related tothe foods I would eat. I also have a malabsorbtion disorder so I eat very healthy because if I don't I live in the bathroom. I keep a diary of my pain and note anychanges of when it is worse. I have found that there is no real change in the pain and that is constant no matter what I do. I have also tried the heating pad and ice with no luck. Nothing seems to tame it. At this point I am so use to it that I don't know what I would do if it all of a sudden went away. They only thing I want is to be able to function, ie walk, swim, sex and even ride my bike. I don't know if those will ever be enjoyable again but there is always hope.

Thanks for the support and ideas. s

Sally
Unread 07-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Home and in major pain

OH SALLY!!!!!!!! I AM SO SORRY this is happening to you! You know there is a chance they didn't find anything and it might be an entrapped nerve or nerve damage. My surgeon had told me that if this lap did not cure my pain that he would send me to a pain management doctor to be treated for an entrapped nerve or nerve damage. Just hang in there girl, you will get the answers you need soon!

May I suggest something though, I did it and was relieved a little. If possible get a copy of your surgery report. This will tell you everything that was done and will also tell you IF they were indeed looking at someone else's report when they stated that they took your right ovary out.

I am being good, still taking it east pretty much but feeling a lot better. I THINK I am pain free...the reason I say THINK is because I am still sore down there, but think it might be from the lap I had done.

Girl, you take care and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
HUGS,
Keri

Please keep me posted!
Unread 07-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Home and in major pain

Sally, I'm so sorry to hear how much pain you are in. Since they managed to screw up your chart as far as removing the ovary that wasn't there, did they release you too early as well?

Try to rest as much as possible and drinka as much fluids as you can comfortably. Sending a very gentle hug.
Unread 07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Home and in major pain

((((Sally))))

Yikes!!! The wrong chart???? That's scarey....
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I hope they find out the source of this real soon...this has to be so frustrating...

Take care, sweetie...get plenty of rest (sounds like you are doing that anyway)...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register