Brst Cancer Survivor w/Hyperplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brst Cancer Survivor w/Hyperplasia Brst Cancer Survivor w/Hyperplasia

Unread 07-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Brst Cancer Survivor w/Hyperplasia

I have just joined this site. I have Complex Hyperplasia w/out Atypia. Because of my previous bout with breast cancer I am being told that I will need to get a hysterectomy. WOW!! Doesn't that rock your world. I am 49 years old and healthier than when I was in my 20's. I obviously cannot do hormone therapy. I am freaked out and don't want to do this to my body. Looks like I may have no choice. I need someone to tell me that it's gonna be okay and when it's all said and done I will return to normal. HA!! I am already post-menopausal because of the Tamoxifen that I had to take. I am wondering if that means that hormonally I may not notice much of a change? Also, what about the bladder. I understand that it depends on the uterus to hold it up?? Not sure, still researching. Anyway, looks like this is a great site and I am happy to see I am not alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2005, 09:53 AM

:welcome" Dixdon,
I am sorry you had to fight breat cancer and now find yourself faced with a complex hyperplasia with atypia (CHA) DX. This cannot be easy on you. Given your breast cancer I assume you already are consulting with a gyn/onc and if you have the surgery will have her/him to the operation but if not pls do consider this.
I had a CHA dx two years ago with an added caveat of "cannot rule out cancer." While certain meds, like megace for one, can sometime reverse this condition, given my age (in 50's but felt as healthy as most 30 year olds)and other factors my gyn and two gyn/oncs strongly recommened a TAH/BSO. I had the surgery and early stage cancer was found but I did not need either chemo or radiation. The post op treatment of course depends on many factors but pls be aware that when endometrial is discovered early, and it often is, surgery alone often is the cure.
This is major surgery and full recuperation (like for example getting most of your previous energy levels back) can take up to one year but we need to take into account that each may heal at different speeds. The initially recovery period generally is about 6 to 8 weeks and for example one can drive after about 2 week. I suggest you peruse this sight including checking out the pre-op forums as there is lots of general information on hysterectomies, what to take the hospital, etc. The surgery is very doable though and heeding your doctor(s), and barring unforseen complications, I can safely say "it's gonna be OK."
Fyi, I am not certain how you will be affected hormonally as I was naturally not medically post-menapausal. I do know that the ovaries, even after menopausedo release estrogen, etc. so there may be a change. FYI, re my experience, I recently developed vaginal atropy and so am on very small, closely regulated estrogen therapy which made things right again. There is lots of info on this sight re hormonal issues so please browse around; also, I am sure other women your age, with medically induced menopause, who have faced this surgery will be coming along.
Re bladder, I am not certain what exact role the uterus plays in supporting the bladder, but do know if there is a pre-existing bladder problem many women get that fixed during the hysterectomy. Again, other women who did so should come along to share with you and if you have a preexisting bladder condition may find our bladders forum of interest.
While none of us would chose to belong to the CC forum, I am glad you found us. I know the intelligent and caring women on this site are always around to share with others, listen to one vent and to provide hugs when that may be needed.
s, peggiesue
Unread 07-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Peggiesue, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response to my ramblings. I know that this will not be an easy decision but it surely helps to hear another voice out there that is in the same boat. Thanks again and I will take all of your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2005, 08:30 PM

Dixdon, I can only speak as to the surgery. I had TAH / BSO 15.5 years ago at age 43. Prior to the surgery, my gyn gave me a booklet about the surgery and possible problems after. (I wouldn't have remembered the booklet except I came across it recently.) I don't know that the possibilities "registered" with me at the time. Didn't matter. I breezed through surgery and recovery and have never had any pain or problems because of it. During my annual gyn check-ups after the surgery, my doc would ask me if I was having this problem or that problem. My answer was always "No." Most all posters on these boards are here because they have had problems. It would lead you to believe everyone does. I believe the majority, like me, does not.

Anything is possible, but most likely you'll do fine.

Mary D.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register