Back to School? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to School? Back to School?

Unread 07-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Back to School?

I have 2 online college classes scheduled to start September 6 which will be 3 weeks after having my hysterectomy. I'm debating whether I should cancel them, which I really don't want to do, but don't know if I'll be up to it.
Does anyone have any advice as to whther I'll be physically (and mentally) ready to take these classe after 3 weeks of recuperating? The online classes are mostly a lot of reading with some time spent on the computer.
Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Back to School?

It's hard to predict the future, but I had a fairly typical recovery and by week 3 I was bored. I would have welcomed reading and computer time with a purpose. You may want to meet with your professors (or at least e-mail them) before your surgery and let them know you're having it. They will probably give you the option to turn in the first few assignments late if the need comes up.
Unread 07-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Back to School?

I had a summer class scheduled to start 4 weeks after my LAVH and I dropped it. I didn't feel physically ready to sit in a class room, and emotionally I'm still all over the place and I didn't want it to affect my grade. Plus I feel really tired in the evenings and trying to concentrate is a challenge.

I would wait and see how you feel AFTER your surgery. Most colleges will let you drop up to the day before class starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Back to School?

Thanks. You're right - I don't have to decide right now if I want to drop the classes. I have up to the week before they start to drop them without losing any money. Don't know why I keep thinking I have to make all my decisions about the next couple of months right now!
Unread 07-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Back to School?

Hi Francesca,

I had my SAH on June 17th and I also wasn't sure if I would be able to return to classes 3 weeks after having this surgery. I went to my adviser and spoke with him about the surgery and he suggested that I contact the teacher to let him know what was happening, so that I could make special arrangements to turn in homework later if I wasn't able to start classes. I'm decided to not cancel my classes since I know the instructor and he has been so understanding in regards to my recovery. (He also is recooperating from surgery from 2 months ago). In my case, I had complications, I was hemmoraghing and had two transfusions along with a fever following the surgery. However, I decided to not cancel my classes and I just went to my second week of classes last night. I went 3 weeks post op from my surgery date, and was able to physically sit through the class. What I did notice last week was that by the end of the class, I noticed that I was having a little bit of trouble concentrating on the lecture, but last night, I had no trouble at all. You are the best judge when it comes to your body. If you still feel exhausted, uncomfortable, in pain, and do not feel as if you are ready to tackle the reading and homework assignments, then it might be a good idea to contact the teacher and let them know that you will be recovering from surgery and you might need extra time before starting up the classes. Its just another option instead of dropping the class altogether.

Good luck and best wishes,

Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register