2 weeks post op and doc says no walking till 5 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post op and doc says no walking till 5 weeks? 2 weeks post op and doc says no walking till 5 weeks?

Unread 07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
2 weeks post op and doc says no walking till 5 weeks?

Hi Ladies,
I am confused. I just called my gyno's office to get the okay for some short walking.. and they said no... just inside the house till 5 weeks..??? my surgeon on the other hand in the hospital told me not to lift more than 25 pounds and walking was good for me.. now common sense tells me to do what the gyno said.. butt I am ready go out here and there for short walks.. don't want to screw this up. I will be 2 weeks tomorrow, and have been a good princess. No problems to speak of, just the normal ones we all talk about, and not bad at that.. incision line is thinning, looking good. no energy, still taking pain meds, sleeping okay, etc. Any one else restricted to no walking?
Thanks so much,
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2005, 09:34 AM

I would listen to your doc and stay home for one reason ... you say your still taking pain meds so there must be a reason.....5 weeks does seem like a long time to be indoors and I understand your frustration with being housebound and your desire to get outside ... Maybe a walk around the yard will suffice if someone is with you...... I do go out but I never go alone, never know when I will need some help because I tire out or (heaven forbid) someone bumps into me...

Another thought could be the heat... it seems to be hot everywhere lately and he could be thinking about you getting out in the heat and having some difficulties ... Just a thought...

Ces.
Unread 07-19-2005, 09:41 AM

Hi there Nancy, I am almost 3weeks into my recovery and had abdominal surgery also, my Doctor told me to just listen to my body, also that walking was good, still no lifting anything over 5lbs. Your body will tell you if you have done to much!!! I think that walking is good for you, if you are walking around the house with out any probablems than I think short walks outside would be ok, just remember as you are heading foward you still have to go back, so don't go to far!!! I have been able to do some laundry, dust, and run the sweeper(it is a small Light one) but that is me. So take it slow and steady and listen to your body and you will be fine.
Hope this helps
Sherry from Waterville, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Hi Nancy,

I agree that if the doctor said no walking until 5 weeks, s/he must have a good reason for it.

I can understand that you would be frustrated being cooped up in the house, but listen to the dr, they know whats best.

Ginger
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM

I understand your frustration, but please listen to your dr. I did the light walking outside at
2 weeks. I just walked down 4 houses at back. Not far at all. But let me tell you. At my appointment I was complaining about a terrible tightness between my 2 incision points. It was like a rubber band ready to snap! What a terrible feeling. Turns out I had a hematoma there. Also, my uterus had pushed everything out of the way and when it all started to adjust down it put ALOT of weight right there. I was told to go straight back to bed, no walking, no getting up, heating pad as much as possible. The truth is that I should've taken it a little easier. The surgery really wasn't the problem. The trouble I had was the terrible shifting and pulling from the change in weight distribution. Turned out the hematoma was in the fascia. Ouch!

All my best wishes for a great recovery!
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:34 AM

HI! I am 7 weeks post op, and my doctor told me to start taking short walks as soon as I could, said it would help in the recovery. Is there a medical reason for no walking until 5 weeks, that seems sooo extreme if there is no medical reason. I would ask my Dr. what his/her reasoning is. If it is due to the pain meds, I would just take a walk down your street with somebody. When I started walking about 3-4 days post op, I went with DH and children down the street, just don't go to far. By the time I got down to a few homes I was ready to turn back, and go lie down, just held on to DH for support....Think I drove him nuts because I definitely wasn't walking fast....nice slow paces!

Now saying that why would you not be able take short walks outside, but you can lift no more 25 lbs?
That is a lot of weigh after surgery, did you ask your GYN about that? I had a weight restriction of no more than 10 lbs. and then after post op infection nothing over 5 lbs. I got my weight restrictions lifted after 5 weeks post op after a internal exam.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register