Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT

Unread 07-20-2005, 04:07 AM
Question - Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT

I am desperately looking for recommendations for books for my twin nephews, going on nine. They don't read English yet, but lots of children's books get translated into the local bow-wow.

Twin #1 likes funny adventure, school and horror stories.

Twin #2 likes history (fiction and non-fiction), mostly local history, but it's always a good idea to broaden the horizons.

They are both very good readers, advanced for their age, and zipped through unabridged translations of all 5 Harry Potter books (ditto Narnia).

Would appreciate all suggestions!

Thanks,
Marian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT

Hi, Marian!

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle is an excellent book and has a couple of sequels. They're a little young for it, although maybe not since they got through the later Harry Potter books. The Other Side of the Mountain is an adventure; although it is dated; a boy runs away from home and makes a living for himself, by himself, in the wilderness.

They probably have read the Lemony Snicket books; I think they are translated into multiple languages and were made into a movie here.

My DD is a little older than your two, but isn't particularly a reader. She's very frustrating as she reads well above grade level but isn't interested in doing so. We're both avid readers (well, my DH seems to have more time than I do to read) and have a hard time understanding her reluctance!

Hope this helps; if I think of more, I'll let you know .

Audrey
Unread 07-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey S.
Hi, Marian!

A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle is an excellent book and has a couple of sequels. They're a little young for it, although maybe not since they got through the later Harry Potter books. The Other Side of the Mountain is an adventure; although it is dated; a boy runs away from home and makes a living for himself, by himself, in the wilderness.

They probably have read the Lemony Snicket books; I think they are translated into multiple languages and were made into a movie here.

My DD is a little older than your two, but isn't particularly a reader. She's very frustrating as she reads well above grade level but isn't interested in doing so. We're both avid readers (well, my DH seems to have more time than I do to read) and have a hard time understanding her reluctance!

Hope this helps; if I think of more, I'll let you know .

Audrey

Thanks, great hearing from you!

They have Engle and Snickett at home from their older brother, who is anxiously waiting for me to receive and finish H.P. #6, he's 13-1/2 and totally fluent in English. I'm going to see if the other side of the mountain is available in Hebrew, I don't care if it's "dated", knowing that people existed outside of one's sphere is healthy!

Do you think Tuck Everlasting might be too mature? I just thought of that, I can see if it's been translated, I loved the movie.

I can understand your DD's non reading and your frustration. I didn't read a lot at that age, only what I had to, there was so little I could relate too. Everything thing seemed so "mainstream majority" in every way, which I certainly was not!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2005, 10:50 AM

You get to select books for young boys, Lucky You, Marian!

Have they read "Treasure Island" by RL Stevenson?

Other Classics:

“Peter Pan” J. M. Barrie

“The Borrowers”, Mary Norton

Anything by Roald Dahl, especially: “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” or “James and the Giant Peach”

School and kids:
My kids loved Judy Blume’s books, maybe try “Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing”

Books by E.L. Konigsburg, especially “From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler” or “The View from Saturday”

History:

“My Side of the Mountain”, Jean Craighead George

“Encounter”, Jane Yolen

“Pedro's Journal”, Pamela Conrad

“Stowaway”, Karen Hesse

Horror:

“The Phantom Tollbooth”, Norton Juster

Goosebumps Series by R.L. Stine

The Unexplained Series by Peter Hepplewhite
Unread 07-20-2005, 08:56 PM

Hi Marian,

Here are some ideas:

"Hatchet" by Gary Paulsen. There are sequels, too.

"Sunwing" by Kenneth Oppel. There are sequels, too.

"Incredible Journey" by Sheila Burnford

"Call of the Wild" by Jack London

"Owls in the Family" by Farley Mowat

"Spiderwick Chronicles" by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black. This is a series.

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry.

Hope this helps.
Laura
Unread 07-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Thumbs up - Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT Kiddie Lit, recommendations, pls, URGENT

For girls, I strongly recommend the Anne of Green Gables series. It's wonderful!

The Wizard of Earth Sea series (only 3 books) is great to introduce kids to the Fantasy genre.

I haven't read these, but several of my girlfriends have and love them. I'm talking about the Little House on the Prarie series. It's suppose to be terrific.
Unread 07-24-2005, 02:19 AM

Got the adventure twin "The Princess Bride," the funny man, "Three Men in a Boat."

Big brother, 13-1/2 gets to read my H.P. #6, He'll get the Hebrew trans for Hanukkah, that's when it comes out.
Unread 08-23-2005, 03:28 PM

Authors to consider for boys.........

Eoin Colfer
Diana Wynne Jones
Roald Dahl
Lemony Snicket
Terry Pratchett

Some may be older, but if their reading skills are good, they'll eat these books.

Bury my heart at wounded knee (history of American Wild West) may be something for them to dip into, also horrible histories, by Terry Deary There's a whole range of those, history, science, geography and maths too!

There's something to be said for having a read down memory lane yourself!!!
Unread 08-24-2005, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran.k
Authors to consider for boys.........

Eoin Colfer
Diana Wynne Jones
Roald Dahl
Lemony Snicket
Terry Pratchett

Some may be older, but if their reading skills are good, they'll eat these books.

Bury my heart at wounded knee (history of American Wild West) may be something for them to dip into, also horrible histories, by Terry Deary There's a whole range of those, history, science, geography and maths too!

There's something to be said for having a read down memory lane yourself!!!

Fran, hi --

I think Lemony Snickett is just fine for girls, too, and Roald Dahl ain't much for anyone (imho), but I did love _Matilda_, of course.

I remember when Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee came out, that's an idea for their Big Brother who will be 14 in January. He's already a very political chap, following the family tradition on his father's and Auntie Marian's side...

Tell me about this Terry Deary chap, wouldcha?
Unread 08-27-2005, 01:55 PM

My nine and 10 year-old-nephews really like a series of books about a boy called Charlie Bone. They are sort of a Harry Potter knock off, but TB and RY don't care. I just finished reading a fantasy called Magyk. It's supposed to be a series, but I don't know how many. The one I read seems a little odd, but it has fun, quirky, characters. Too bad your nephews aren't little or else I would have recommended my favorite children's book which is Knots on a Counting Rope. It's about a Navajo grandfather relating the biography of his grandson to the boy. The little boy was born blind, but the boy and his grandfather use a wonderful means to convey the sighted world to the boy. The author uses a unique means to tell the story. The story is told back and forth between the two main characters. There is no narrator. And the pictures, paintings, are stunning. If you've never been to the American Southwest, this book will bring you there. I bought the book for myself after seeing it featured on a children's program. I used the excuse that i bought it to read to my nieces and nephews when they were small, but now that they are all too old for it, I have to read it to myself......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register