Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked! Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked!

Unread 07-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked!

Hello
I stopped by my gyn's to get a paper filled out and asked about my hormone tests results. My dr. was gone for the day of course. He had signed off on them, so the receptionists(2 of them) showed me where my FSH is high.(23) She said I am in menopause and that is probably why I have hot flashes. I have only had 2 of them and they were a few months ago. I was shocked because 10 months ago I had a lapro, which showed normal ovaries. I had the same hormone levels drawn in April and they were normal. How could I be half way into menopause (older lady said) so quickly? My dr. is supposed to call me at work tomorrow. I have so many questions to ask him. I really just need a appt. I continue to suffer from those abdominal pains down in lower abdoman. Sharp stabbing kind of pain mostly. I also have the bm problems continuing. I do wonder if my suspected adhesions could be messing with my ovaries?
Anybody experienced anything like this?
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2005, 08:18 PM

My Gyn called me after I got home from work this evening. He said that I am in early to mid cycle of being in menopause. My FSH was 9 back in April and is now 26.3. What a jump in a short time. He will do another hormone level in 3 months. Originally he said I would probably have around 10 years after my TAH until I hit it. I reminded him of that and he said for me to remember that none of my experiences since the TAh has been typical. I had the severe anemia leading up to, GB surgery 4 months post op and then the 2 prolapses all within 9 months. I am now dealing with stress incontinence and a cystocele.
He won't put me on HRT if he can help it. It can cause alot of problems. Hopefully I won't have any problems going through this. I did ask about Estrogen creme, but he said I need to wait and see if the uro/gyn is going to do the bladder surgery.He said I shouldn't use it if I am heading for surgery.
This makes me feel a little down, but I know I will be ok. I just didn't expect this to happen to me so soon.(14 months post op).He thinks my abdominal pain and pain in the ovary areas is probably from adhesions. If the uro/gyn does adhesion surgery also he would remove the adhesions from around my ovaries( if there is any) and put in a netting to protect them. The good thing is my thyroid level is very good. I guess I should count my blessings.
Peggy
Unread 07-22-2005, 08:50 PM

(((Peggy))) I'm so sorry you had such a shock when you found out your test results This may explain, at least in part, why you've been having such a hard time.

Please be sure to keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2005, 09:55 PM

Thanks Dany
I just have too much going on right now (medically) and finding out I am in menopause at 43 just threw me for a loop.
Where is the hormonal link here at Hystersisters that may help me? I never thought I would need it so soon.

HUGS
Peggy
Unread 07-23-2005, 04:50 AM

hi, i'm sorry you have been having soo many medical problems. i too have endo and had adheshions after my hyst... i know how fustrating this can be try to hang in there
Unread 07-23-2005, 04:58 AM

Hi Peggy, well it sounds like you got answers to at least some of your symtoms. I'm sure it was a huge shock for you! I theink I'm either in , or at least heading in that direction also! My TVH was going on 8 years ago. And I totaly understand the "too much going on medicaly" statement too! I've just about had it! I've been going to the Doctors (neurologist) weekely for the last month. And I have to go again this week for a EMG/NVC test. Last week was an MRI and a ultra sound. I hope you get all your questions answered for you! Your in my thoughts and prayers Peggy, Take Care, Netty
Unread 07-23-2005, 09:38 AM

(((Peggy))) I kind of know how you feel: I also kept my ovaries and thought I had about 8 or 10 years left before menopause, after my hyst, at 44 (both my mom and my maternal grand-mother went into menopause in their mid-50's)... and here I am, in peri-menopause for the past 2 years (at least) at 48

Here's the link the The Hormone Jungle where you'll lots of info on Menopause, links to The Hormone Jungle message board, as well as to the No-Hormone Desert Oasis message board, for those of us who are dealing with menopause without the benefit of HRT.

Good luck ((((sweetie))): you've been through so much, already
Unread 07-23-2005, 02:16 PM

Peggy I'm so sorry you had these results. Could it be temporary that it's that high?

I read somewhere that even keeping your ovaries with a hyst. you will probably go into menopause 5 yrs. sooner because of the blood supply being lessened to them. I never heard that pre-op! My mom had her last period at 38 and her mom at 40. I just turned 40 and have frequent hot flashes. I'm praying I don't add menopause onto all the snags I've got going on PO.
Unread 07-23-2005, 06:39 PM

Hi Peggy - I sure wish you had more answers! I can empathize with you as far as your reaction to finding out your test results. I was told that I was officially menopausal at 25. Five months before my hysterectomy. I was in a serious state of depression for quite a while. We were still trying to have a baby before I had to have my hyst, and silly me, when I stopped having my cycles, I started hoping....well, they did the pregnancy test at the same time as the hormone levels. Not only was I not pregnant......... :hair: !!!

I hope that they are able to give you some solid answers as to what is causing your pain. Adhesions could definately be the culprit. Please try to keep your head up. I know you are in a whirlwind right now...but you will get through this.

Sending you lots of gentle s

Cortney
Unread 07-24-2005, 03:04 PM

Hi!
I kept my ovaries. My right one works just fine, ovulating only very 4 -5 months or so. My left one hasn't bothered to work!
On another website, I read they can work effectively within weeks of hyster, work at a restricted output, or give up in shock, and anything in between. Depends on each case!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register