Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked! Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked!

Unread 07-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Hormone level (FSH) results and shocked!

My dr. said the level won't drop, will only go up as time goes on. That is not what I wanted to hear. Do you think all of these medical issues and stress from them has caused me to jump into menopause? Is that possible?
I am sitting here with those sharp stabbing pains on my left side at the moment. I also get them on the mid right side.They seem to be getting worst day by day. I sometimes wonder if it is adhesions, hernias from straining so much or both. I will push for treatment when I go for my surgical consultation with Dr. Karram on the 3rd.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 08:57 PM

mtdewpeg, I am a bit confused by your posting. I don't think the receptionists at your doctors office should be interpreting your test results. Do ask your doctor! A single FSH in the low 20's could not diagnose menopause. An ovulating woman's midcycle peak can be anywhere between 3.4-33.4. While it is true that FSH goes up with menopause and that the values will be 23 to greater than 116.3 it is important to remember that the FSH goes up and stays up with menopause(no longer cycles). I don't see how a single level of 23 says you are menopausal. If you are in your 40s it is not rocket science to guess that you are perimenopausal and both your estrogen and FSH might be all over the map. For more information look at: Early Menopause Since you have had a hysterectomy you obviouly don't have your menstual cycles to monitor your approach to menopause. I can share with you that I had mild hot flashes long before my cycle became irregular and stopped.
Unread 07-25-2005, 09:05 AM

I was also puzzled by your doctor saying that you should not use estrogen cream if you are going to have surgery. I thought that I had read that estrogen cream pre-op was thought to actually help healing from the surgery.

I hope you get some good answers soon. You have been through so much.

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2005, 04:49 PM

My Gyn also said I was in early - mid menopause. In April my FSH level was 9 and now it is 26.3. It said it will only go up. I don't feel bad in that way. I can handle the menopausal symptoms as they come. I just want to get rid of all of these other problems.
I read somewhere too where estrogen creme was good to use before surgery, but my gyn who's special interests includes menopause must have a good reason for what he said. I do know that alot of meds and other things need to be stopped a few weeks before surgery.
I will know more after the 3rd. The waiting is the worst.
Peggy
Unread 07-28-2005, 04:21 PM

Let me see if I understand this....if your FSH level is low then you aren't in meno...if it's high then you are??? I'm asking because I just had the FSH test yesterday (9 months after RSO - 2 yrs. 9 mos. after LSO) and my gyn did say this test will tell us if I am indeed in meno or if there is a question of ORS.
Unread 07-28-2005, 05:31 PM

My FSH was 26.3. My Dr. called me last Friday. It was 9 in APril. He believes I am in early menopause. He isn't too concerned. His asst. told me that even though I kept my ovaries, after a hyst you usually start going into menopause early. I have heard this from other people too. I will have my levels rechecked in 3 months.
My mother never had hot flashes, so I am hoping I will be that lucky too.

It isn't bothering me anymore. I know it has to come sooner or later.
Peggy
Unread 07-29-2005, 03:39 PM

If it helps any, 23 is not that bad. I just had my followup yesterday and was told that my FSH is 146.96. That is extremely high even for post menopausal women. I'm 26. Menopausal for 2 years. Next time you have a hot flash and someone askes you, just tell them that you are having your own "personal summer". It lightens the mood.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register