5 more days till surgery!! JULY 27th!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 more days till surgery!! JULY 27th!! 5 more days till surgery!! JULY 27th!!

Unread 07-22-2005, 04:31 PM
5 more days till surgery!! JULY 27th!!

HI sisters!!
Well, I have 5 more days unitl my hysterectomy (+rectocele and cystocele repair) was very, very nervous. But, my Dr. gave me something to help with the stress, so I am feeling much better. I am now wanting to just get it over with!! The waiting is the killer!! Is there anyone else having surgery on that date? Or anyone who just had surgery and can tell me what to expect!! I have never had major surgery before, so I don't know what I am going to go through!!
THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2005, 04:45 PM

i'm right before you on the 26th! We are gonna be just fine
so dont worry and enjoy all the pampering you'll get afterwords!
Unread 07-22-2005, 04:46 PM

I had TAH/RSO on July 11. It was my first surgery too and I was scared to death. I was very afraid of being put to sleep, but when they got the IV going they gave me something to help my nerves, (they had to cause my blood pressure was so high from being scared)and that really helped. By the time they took me in the operating room I felt pretty calm..I just laid there with my eyes closed while they hooked me up to everything..I dont even remember going to sleep. The next thing I knew they were telling me it was time to go to my room. I had a pain pump inserted directly into my incision so the pain was near non-existant for the first 3 days. By then I was at home. My staples gave me more trouble than anything. They stayed in for 9 days..they were ready to come out. Now I am 11 days post-op and doing good. And I understand about the waiting....my original surgery date was June 27, but the Dr's father died about 15 minutes before my surgery and they had to cancell it..I was already in pre-op , IV'd and everything..just waiting my turn.. I had to go home and wait for 2 more weeks...talk about stress!! I know where you're coming from there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Amanda,
I had my hysterectomy July 11. I had a pre-op appt with the doc, some pre-op blood work at the hospital, had to do a bowel prep the night before (not as bad as it sounds, I promise). The morning of surgery, I had to be at the castle at 6 a.m. for my 7:30 surgery. They had me get undressed, put on a hospital gown, an IV was started with fluids. After that, my husband was allowed to stay with me pre-op until they took me to the O.R. The anesthesiologist and my doc both came in and talked to me before my surgery. The anesthesiologist put something in my IV to put me to sleep. I don't remember anything else until the ride to my room in my post-op bed. By far, the worst part of the entire 48 hour experience in the castle was moving from the recovery room bed to the bed in my castle room. After that, I was mostly okay for the first 24 hours with a morphine pump. I had a catheter (couldn't even feel it) until the next morning. I mostly just rested and watched TV the first day.

The next day, the nurse came in and removed my catheter and the aide helped me get up and go to the bathroom and take a shower. After that, I was BEAT. Laid back down for a while, then got up and went for a walk. Took several walks the second day and the morning of the third day----short walks. Ate some horrible hospital food , rested, watched TV, did crossword puzzles. Mostly bored. Went home the the second day after surgery. Laid around and took small walks inside that day and the next, napped a lot, watched TV.

Since then, I have been getting around a lot better and taking longer and longer walks. Even went to the grocery store with DH about a week or so after surgery. The hardest part now is not being able to drive until Monday (2 weeks post-op).

Just remember, our thoughts and prayers will be with you. You're right, though, the waiting is the worst part of the whole process. It would be so nice if the doc could have said "We'll do your surgery tomorrow morning".

Best luck. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask them. This site and these ladies are fabulous about answering questions and providing support. Don't know what I would have done without them.
Unread 07-22-2005, 04:52 PM

Amanda,

I am 3 weeks post-op, TAH/BSO with no other procedures. Everyone is different, but my pain was minimal and my recovery has been great. The WORST part was the gas pains. Ugh! The hospital said I could not go home until I was able to pass gas. I finally did, but it required an enema to accomplish. Unlike most others, I did not have a bit of constipation, so I was fortunate. The insomnia is the other problem. I have my days and nights mixed up. I started taking the vitamin Melatonin and I am doing better sleepwise. Two weeks post-op I got out on a 3-hr adventure, then I spent the next 3 days on the couch miserable and sore because I overdid it! Don't do that!!! Make sure you rest, walk, rest, drink and rest. To find out who else is having surgery on your day, click the "home" tab toward the upper left, and then click on "calendar" on the left about halfway down your screen. Always remember that lifting causes scar tissue to form, which will make you have life-long pain. It's NOT worth it!!! I have changed my ways after that first adventure. Now I am using more discretion on what actually HAS to be done, and what can wait until later.

Take care of yourself!
Rene
Unread 07-24-2005, 03:20 PM

Major surgery for me is THursday--July 28th!!!
Had hyst. before (2000) and now removing a Pelvic Mass that is wrapped around my bladder. Three Doctor's will be involved.
I'm trusting in my ALMIGHTY GOD and I will be O.K.!!!!
I remember so very well-the feeling of waling for the first time to go to the bathroom and take that ALMIGHTY SHOWER!!! WHAT AN AWESOME FEELING!!! After I was home---I took several showers daily----just because it felt SO good!!! NO PAIN!!!
GOOD LUCK......
Cindy
Louisiana
Unread 07-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Sugery Buddies

Hi Amanda,
My surgery is set for the 27th also. I was doing pretty good with the worries until about 2:30 this morning. I woke up freaked out and with a list of about zillion things I have to get done before Tuesday night. I have a hubby and 5 kids. They have been pretty supportive (especially considering the fact that one of my major symptoms is mood swings and they are never quite sure how which way I'm swinging at the moment). My 3 daughters went with me to the store and helped pick out new robe, giant sleep shirt and slippers, plus some other goodies to take w/me to the hospital. Youngest daughter gave me a foot massage and painted my toenails last night. (I know I will have to take off polish, but how could I tell her not to paint my toes when she was so sweet to help me feel better??) I have never been unconscious for any reason, let alone to have major surgery! I am ready to feel "Normal" again, but I do worry about being put to sleep. At this point I'm more worried about not being able to do "Normal" things for the recovery period. I KNOW it will be worth it. It's nice to know someone else is going through this at the same time I am. You're not alone.
Unread 07-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Surgery July 27th as well

I had my TVH on May 25 but am having cystocele, rectocele, and enterocele surgery on July 27th. You will do fine! I felt great the day after the surgery and was up and about in a couple of days. I even went to Jamaica one and half weeks post-op! (Beautiful country by the way). I am a little nervous for this surgery as it will look like Frankenstein down there, but who's going to be looking besides me with a mirror???? Don't worry, you will do great and take advantage of being pampered, it doesnt last very long.
Unread 07-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Lifting causes scar tissue?? I've never heard that before. Thanks for the calendar tip. I'm going to check that out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register