Blood Transfusions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Transfusions Blood Transfusions

Unread 07-23-2005, 06:50 PM
Blood Transfusions

I have a couple questions for my medicaly knowledgable sisters! When you recieve blood transfusions, what can be transmitted through this blood? I asked my Doctor after needing 5 transfusions and she said "with each unit the risks increase"> Did'nt answer my question.! Now don't get me wrong ,I am very greatful for all donors out there and the fact is I probably wouldnt be here today if they wernt! All I know is this all happened 4 years ago, I havent felt good since! I have chronic fateige(sp), Chronic dirrea, have not been able to gain any weight since, which I lost weight with that hospital stay! This exsaustion scares me the most! I have all I can do to stay awake driving for 30 minutes! Im just plain tired! Tired of being tired! I have had blood work and always normal. I was even checked for hepititus(sp) I'm not anemic. I Had simple procedure done this past november for a cyst removel and had general anesthesia for the first time, I had always had spinals, and I had a BAD reaction and ended up in ICU for 3 days paralysed! I'm seeing a neurologist for that and she wants me to go to a major facility for extensive testing! All I know is I feel like I never physicaly recovered from that insident 4 years ago. Any ideas? Or thoughts, or simply input would be GREATLY appreciated! Thans Netty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Blood Transfusions

Netty,
I don't know anything about blood transfusions but do know that all my problems began after a kidney infection. The kidney infection stemmed from some dental work I was having at the time. I have never been the same since.

My point is that, it's difficult to say what really is the cause of our problems. Yes, we can look back and say "this is when it all started", but we really don't know for sure. What we can do is continue to move forward and look for answers.

I know it's not an easy Road. Sigh, I've been on it for about five years now. But I do not place blame, I just try and continue to push forward and seek the answers that will one day bring me some relief.

Unread 07-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Blood Transfusions

I don't have any medical knowledge, just gentle

Hope you find out what's going on. Keep us posted!

Ginger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Blood Transfusions

Hi ossa

I do have a medical laboratory background & degree .. and know about blood transfusions, type/crossmatching and transferrable conditions.
The blood banks are supposed to screen for Hepatitis and HIV and West Nile Virus (WNV)!

Typically you will receive "packed red cells" when you receive a transfusion.
These cells washed and are matched with your blood, to be sure you don't have any antibodies against anything on their surface, so that you do not suffer a reaction when you receive these. (Some conditions require that you receive "whole blood" w/the plasma, or platelets for clotting assistance. I'm not sure what you received years ago.)

I'm going to send you to the AABB (American Association of Blood Banks - Facts About Blood and Blood Banking)http://www.aabb.org/All_About_Blood/FAQs/aabb_faqs.htm

That link will give you many answers to your questions about what can/cannot be transmitted via blood transfusions.

I'm not convinced that your symptoms are coming from the blood transfusions, although you can pinpoint feeling poorly to this time.
You probably need your doctor to do a very complete physical, to check for other conditions that may cause your extreme fatigue!

s to you.
Hope you get some answers and begin to feel better soon!
Shoozie
Unread 07-24-2005, 04:55 AM
Blood Transfusions

Thank You ladies for your support..... Shoozie, thank you for the link, that answered my question!. Netty
Unread 07-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Blood Transfusions

Netty
I had a 3 unit transfusion a week before my TAH because my gyn said I wouldn't live through surgery without it. My count was 5.5. He did say there is always a chance(slim) of getting HIV, Hepatitis. I figured I would have died without it, so I took my chances. I hope your condition has nothing to do with the transfusion.

Shoozie
I had a terrible reaction which started about 10 minutes into the transfusion. I had terrible chest pains, spasms and terrible pains shooting down my legs, arms back, into kidneys. I also felt like My oxygen was cut off and I was suffocating My skin turned beet red. I was rushed to the ER next door by ambulance. My BP had almost bottomed out. I sppent 9 hours in the ER before getting my blood. They crossmatched it again and again and found it to be a match. Nobody ever talked to me about it or gave me a reason for the reaction. I had to be given benedryl and a steroid before they transfused me. I started having the symptoms again 1 hour into, so I was given meds again. Do you have any idea what had happened to me? The only thing I could figure was that my body was so used to surviving on such a limited blood supply, the new blood was a foreign object to it.
Does that sound reasonable?
Peg
Unread 07-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Blood Transfusions

Peg,

EGADS - you had a blood transfusion reaction!! There's no question in my mind when I read your symptoms!!
Here's a link: http://www.shands.org/health/informa...cle/001303.htm

Again, it matters whether you had packed red cells or whole blood, but there are many many antigens on the surface of a red blood cell, and many antibodies that are in the serum/fluid in whole blood (and in your blood).
Typing and crossmatching is supposed to detect these, even the rare ones, but it really sounds like someone goofed with yours!

Sometimes transfusion rate can affect the patient (if it's infused too fast, may cause a problem.) This is true for any kind of IV. Most can tolerate regular Ringers IV bags, but if you get a potassium IV infused, it must go in very very slowly or you will have a heart attack!!

Perhaps they had the blood infusing too fast? Sure sounds like a transfusion reaction to me, though!

Yikes, glad you are A-OK now!!
Shoozie
Unread 07-24-2005, 07:49 PM
Blood Transfusions

I had red packed blood cells transfused into me.It has been over 14 months ago now, but sometimes I still see myself sitting in that chair dying. I wish somebody would have debriefed me afterwards and maybe I could have let it go easier. I don't think mydr. or family know how terrible it really was.
Thanks for the link. I am about to read it.

Nettie
Thanks for the pm. I also had a blood transfusion after the birth of my first son in 84. My placenta ruptured and I bled terribly. I had a emergency c section. It was a terrible experience.

Thanks and HUGS
Peggy
Unread 07-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Blood Transfusions

Hi Ladies

Here's one more note...
If you are fairly healthy (have a good hemoglobin/hematocrit, and are not anemic).. but you anticipate having surgery in the future.
You can request to have your OWN blood drawn ahead of time and stored for possible use during surgery!
(My mother does this, as she has a special rare antibody that always causes trouble matching the blood.)

Just a thought, if you have an upcoming surgery.. some pre-planning can allow you to donate your OWN blood to YOURSELF! This will eliminate any possibility of a transfusion reaction!

Shoozie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register