Nausea a week after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nausea a week after surgery Nausea a week after surgery

Unread 07-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Nausea a week after surgery

I had a TAH-BSO on July 15th. I came home after 2 days feeling surprisingly good. The whole first week home I felt really good but behaved myself and didn't overdo. I was very surprised at how good I felt - both incision pain-wise and just physically. Now after a week I am feeling nauseous constantly. No food appeals to me. I am so afraid to vomit - afraid my incision will open. I've been eating a little bit here and there, mostly soup, crackers, toast, jello etc - I don't want the pain medication to hurt my stomach. Has anyone else felt like this after feeling good after their surgery? What have you done to help it go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 11:19 AM

It is probably the pain medication itself. It may take the pain away, but nausea is a big side effect. I switched to Ibuprofen 5 days post- op and my nausea went away.
And to my suprise- the Ibuprofen worked much better than I ever expected- maybe even better than the Vicodin I was taking!! You may want to give it a try.
I too have felt great like you have- much better that I ever anticipated!! I feel the effects of my body having TAH/BSO but I also feel better than I have in years. GOOD LUCK!
Unread 07-24-2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks for that response Kath - I probably should have been more specific. When I came home from the hospital I was taking 600 mg of Motrin every 6 hours with Percoset as needed in between. I've pretty much cut out the Percoset but am still taking the Motrin. I wonder if maybe I need to cut down on the dosage at this point. My incision pain has been tolerable - I guess I've been a bit nervous to cut back for fear the incision pain would be too much. I don't go back to the doctor til this Thursday for my follow-up. I've been thinking about cutting out all the pain meds completely to see if I feel normal but I don't know if that's too drastic. It is definitely a tough choice but this nauseous feeling is awful - but on the upside - losing a few pounds would be great too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2005, 11:57 AM

Pain medication makes me very sick to my stomach, especially percoset. It was worse than the reason I was in the hospital in the first place! What are you taking? I totally agree with the above post, the ibuprofen worked better for me than the oral pain medications. It is pretty darn amazing actually, I never expected it and was very surprised after a past surgery.

Good luck, hope you feel better very soon!

Editing to add after I saw you recent post, I was only taking one percoset a day and I was still so nauseous and throwing up. It didn't go away until I cut it out completely. It was really weird with the percoset, as the days go by the nausea got worse, even with a lower dose. If you still need something stronger than motrin, you might want to ask your doctor for something like vicodin that doesn't make you so ill.
Unread 07-24-2005, 01:56 PM

It's the total opposite for me with vicodin. One pill made me so nauseous and shaky for three days. I called the pharmacist who said it could take that long to get out of your system. I had an er dr convince me to try a percocet while in the er and it did the job for me. I'm pretty leary of trying any different pain meds.
Chris
Unread 07-25-2005, 06:45 AM

Hi, I can't take many of the stronger pain meds because of reactions to them. I think that maybe a call to your dr would be a good idea. My dr gave me a prescritpion to help control my nausea. It really helped a lot

Unread 07-25-2005, 09:38 AM

I was given Zofran to control my nausea while I was on Vicoden. I always have some food in my stomach when I take Motrin...milk is good, or at least some crackers. It helps to avoid the nausea for me.

Feel better!

maggiemay
Unread 07-28-2005, 05:50 AM

I had nausea too it was the pain meds I had to stop them asap and was given an incredibly large dose of Gaviscon which assisted within 30 mins and I then moved to 2 x paracetamol and only one 30mg tablet of Codeine Phosphate at night, the sickness stopped which I was glad about because it just made everything 100 times more worse! I am 4.5 weeks now and don't take anything but I did take the above each night till 3.5 weeks. Speak to your doc and change the meds. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register