diagnosis today.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

diagnosis today.... diagnosis today....

Unread 08-02-2005, 04:00 PM
diagnosis today....

(((Gidge)))
I like Michelle's idea of keeping a journal and handing that to him. I think many times when we talk to our doc's we tend to short change our problems. The time we are talking is limited and I think many times we may forget a few things. My accupuncture doc has started me journalling and it's really helped her to get a clearer picture.

I am sure that it is a scarey option to go on medical leave, especially as there is only you. If you haven't started already, I would start now getting all your ducks in a row for filing for disability. The sooner you get started on the paperwork, the sooner the ball can get rolling.

I'm sending lots of s and for you my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
diagnosis today....

thanks girls....well I called the neurologist's office this morning because I discovered that I had two appt's booked with him one in Sept and one in Oct so I called and we cancelled the one in Oct and it gave me an opportunity to bring up the referral to the neurosurgeon and what to expect and his assistant said she had sent the letter out last wed (I spoke to him by phone on tues so that's pretty good) and to maybe touch base with the neurosurgeon at the end of next week and see if they know how soon I'll get in and see about getting on a cancellation list...so the ball is rolling indeed

I have decided to try and give my brain a break for the next couple days while I'm on holidays for thinking about this I"m getting overwhelmed and super anxious...so I'll call the extended health etc on Thurs and try to get those ducks in a row until then I"m playing ostrich and sticking my head firmly in the sand......if anyone in Canada can offer any advice about how the went about their sick leave that would be helpful too! 's right back at y'all!
Unread 08-03-2005, 08:27 PM
diagnosis today....

((((Gidge)))) I'm sorry things have reached the point where you are, officially, considering going on sick leave

I haven't gone through this myself, but was wondering if you have a health services centre or community services centre where you could go hunting for information

If that doesn't work out, how about going to the BC provincial website? There may be information regarding services available to you and where to find them

Good luck and hang in there: hopefully, they'll get you all fixed up sooner than you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2005, 02:05 AM
diagnosis today....

thanks Dany

I worked up my nerve and called my extended health plan through work to find out if we have short term although I"m fairly positive all we have is long term and the plan administrator for our plan is on holidays until the 15th! So then I thought i would try to call the neurosurgeon's office and see if they could give me a rough idea of how long the wait was to get in to see him at least and they are closed and on holidays until the 30th...

then because life wasn't interesting enough the urologists office called and said they had a cancellation did I want to have my bladder procedure next Fri instead of Sept 16 well I was so shocked I said NO because I couldn't imagine getting that together in a week...and have since thought that was dumb because better sooner then later but oh well I just thought I would try to deal with the brain thing first and then worry about Sept 16 when it got here!

I have checked out the EI sick benefits but what I'm worried about is if you go on that can your employer let you go while you're on it before you get a chance to qualify for your long term I don't know....too many unanswered questions and I'm so worked up that it's like 1:00am and I"m still up

I see the GP tomorrow we were supposed to be writing my note etc and making our plan but I don't have the info I needed to do that....not sure what to do now...one thing is for sure being off work has helped me deal with my symptoms and this med tremendously I can nap when I need to and it doesn't matter that I"m super dippy from the med
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:57 PM
diagnosis today....

((((Gidge)))) I can only imagine how scary and overwhelming this must all be

Regarding the EI issue: you're most likely right, there are probably no guarentees that you won't be layed off while you wait for the disability to kick in. However, there may some safeguards you could put in place to ensure that all odds on your side.

I hope the appointment with your doctor went well, today. Hopefully, all will fall into place for you.
Unread 08-05-2005, 09:56 PM
diagnosis today....

thanks Dany I saw my GP today and he was basically ready to write me note today to be off at least until I see the Neurosurgeon and then we could go from there....but we ended up deciding to wait until after the 15th so I can talk to my extended health provider when she gets back from holidays to ask about short term...I asked my GP about them getting rid of me while on sick leave and he told me they couldn't do that, that it would cause a great deal of problems for a employer to do that to an employee of 8yrs...and to try not to worry about that the simple fact remained I am unable to function at work between the pain and meds and that's what we needed to think about....I don't know what you meant about safeguards can you tell me?

he also prescribed an extended release form of the tegretol I'm taking to see if that works better or worse for me and at least if the pain breaks through I can take the normal tegretol on top of it...I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it goes..

I am terrified that I"m feeding myself to the dogs here financially but I just don't know what else to do...the letter from the neuro to the neurosurgeon was already copied to my GP from last week so at least I know it's been sent and it exists (ever since my evil gyn's screwed me around I"ve never trusted a doc to do what they say sorry)....

so I"m going to try and take is super easy for the next two days and then go back to work on Mon and do my best but he (doc) says if the pain is bad go home it doesn't matter there is no back up they have to learn that I"m sick....my bladder is way cranky too so hopefully the procedure on the 16th of sept helps

thanks for listening and if anyone in canada has gone through the ei sick benefit thing I sure could use some help
Unread 08-06-2005, 01:32 PM
diagnosis today....

(((Gidge)))
It sounds like you may be finally getting somewhere with these docs. I know taking the time off is going to be scarey, but if it allows you the time to get yourself better than it will be worth it.

I hope the extended release meds work better for you. Allowing you to function until you can get everything sorted out.

Unread 08-06-2005, 07:30 PM
diagnosis today....

(((Gidge))) Sounds like you came up with a good strategy, with your doctor. One thing I've noticed is that you seem to be focusing on the possible economical side effects of the sick leave. I think that you need to focus on the benefits: right now, with the pain and the side effects of the meds, you can't concentrate on your work... and it's having ill effects on your health. In the end, it can't be very good on your work either.

Taking time to take care of yourself will result in a Gidge who is in a better position to give her best at work. This can only be beneficial for all involved. I know what I'm talking about: that's how things were for me, before the hyst

ps: when I mentionned safeguards, I was thinking of having an agreement in place that would state that you can't be fired while you're on sick leave.

Good luck (((Gidge))).
Unread 08-07-2005, 11:07 PM
diagnosis today....

thanks Dany you're right I'm more concerned about how I'm going to pay the rent and bills then I am about having possible brain surgery it's bizarre, my girlfriend's husband asked me if I was freaked out about possibly having brain surgery and I told him I was more worried about how I was going to tell work I had to go on sick leave and he said that was just bizarre...now he runs his own business so he doesn't know what it's like to leave yourself vulnerable like that but I think you and everyone else is right, I need to focus on getting better and just hope that my work does the right thing and sticks by me....I guess what worries me is it could be months before I even see this neurosurgeon and in the end there is a chance he may decide I may not be a candidate for the procedure although the neurologist said that he should be able to fix it no matter what......

if I had savings or a husband/partner with another income coming in I wouldn't be thinking this way but I guess I just have to shift my focus I just feel like I'm giving up control of my whole life

I tried the extended release tegretol and it gave me crazy legs (no control over them I fell twice) and felt like someone fillled my head with foam I was so out of it and the pain wasn't as well controlled...so I'm back to the regular tegretol today....it sounds crazy but I'm looking forward to my bladder procedure in hopes it makes this cranky bladder of mine settle down it would be good to not be dealing with it on top of these neurological problems!

as far as an agreement I don't know if I could talkthem into it and I guess asking for it will sort of indicate a mistrust on my part....but in Canada (as you'll know Dany) we have to ask for a record of employment to qualify for sick leave so it's almost like we don't work there anymore..the whole thing just makes me want to barf

but I'm going to try and focus on the fact that going on sick leave is going to make this much easier on me until they can fix me.....thanks for listening and being there girls...it's 10:00 on Sun night and I go back tomorrow after being off for a week and am full of anxiety and have no idea how I'm going to get through a day never mind a week...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register