what to wear in hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to wear in hospital? what to wear in hospital?

Unread 07-26-2005, 06:05 PM
what to wear in hospital?

i don't know if i read too much or not enough but i am confused on what to wear at the hospital. i read silky is easy to get out of bed with but that cotton is more comfortable. one piece or two? long or short? i just want to be prepared. robe thin or thick? ***frustrated****

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 06:13 PM

I used their lovely gown with the built in air conditioner and my own robe and slippers. I had an IV until the day I left and it was easier plus I didn't want to soil my own gowns and saved them for my recovery at home. I was in there three days.
Chris
Unread 07-26-2005, 06:15 PM

I will say, waistless is best! You won't want something tight on your tummy. I wore my regular t-shirt night gowns that came to my knees and slippers with the rubber bottoms so I had traction to walk. My robe was thinner flannel--surgery was in November--and zipped up but I think a robe that wrapped around with a belt would have been easier on and off. The stretchy throw away underwear they provided me were wonderful!

The one thing I wish I had taken was my own pillow! Just thought I would throw that in free!

Best Wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 06:20 PM

Hi Laura,

I just had my hyst on July 8, 2005 and I wore the hospital's gowns, they brought me a clean one each day. However, I did pack a silk one and a thin robe, but never used them. Silk seems to be cooler than cotton, I think personally.

Toni

TLAVH 7/08/05 adenomyosis, cyst in uterus, resultant amenia, kept both ovaries
Unread 07-26-2005, 06:25 PM

I bought some cotton pj's and had a silk robe. Well, ended up just wearing the hospital gown as I was only in over night and then put on my robe to walk the halls.
Unread 07-26-2005, 06:26 PM

I also just wore my own socks, hospital gowns, and I took a lightweight robe for wearing while I paced the halls (something you will do a lot of). I had no discharge with my TAH/BSO, so they did not provide me with underwear or pads -- they just had me lay on a blue pad in case I did have some leakage. I have been mostly commando since surgery. The hospital gowns are practical in the hospital because someone was always having to check my incision, or listen to bowel sounds, etc. I was paying for the use of the gowns, so why create more laundry that I would have to do once I got home?
Unread 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM

The first day you'll probably have an IV attached to your hand or arm- so try practicing dressing by lying in bed and attaching a string to a floor lamp, then figure out how to get dressed!!

Some suggestions for things to wear are:
a two-piece sleep set- bottom sleep shorts, top with just cami straps (alter them before you go to be able to detach them with snaps)- the sleep shorts will work even if you have a catheter attached.

-a silk slip, again with cami straps that you've altered to be detachable.

a light fleece throw for sitting up in bed since hospital gowns are "air conditioned".

some sort of sandles or slippers.

A robe for later when your IV comes off.

For me, my makeup kit, toothbrush, shampoo, and flat iron were great to have along!

-Torrie
Unread 07-26-2005, 08:34 PM

I used the beautiful hospital attire, too. I found the easy access for everything to be best. Also, I didn't want to mess up any nighties of my own. Plus, I didn't have the energy to even want to change. Shoot, I didn't even put in my contacts the day after surgery. I barely brushed my teeth and I'm pretty sure I didn't brush my hair.
Unread 07-26-2005, 08:50 PM

Hi Laura,
I took gowns, socks. I had IV so the hospital gown worked because you can't put your arm through. On the day the removed the IV, then i put on short cotton gown(w/o buttons). I too had TAH/BSO so i didn't need underwear and still don't wear any unless going out. Try not to get pjs because you don't want anything on your stomach. Even today on my 15th day, it still hurts to even have the gown touch my stomach. I hope this helps. Also check and see but the castle I went to provided toothbrush/paste, an insulated cup for water, comb and even bodywash I hope this helps. I am praying for you.
Unread 07-26-2005, 09:28 PM

I brought a robe and slippers, but never used them. I was clammy from the morphine, along with being nausiated, so I wore their gowns, one open in the front for a robe, and the other one open in the back. They were lighter weight than I brought from home, and I didn't want mine soiled either. I even wore the slipper socks they gave me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register