Teachers unite! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teachers unite! Teachers unite!

Unread 07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Whew! What a weekend!

So glad to hear from everyone.

Christine! I hope it was a happy one.

Happy Anniversary, Mary! That is an accomplishment! Congratulations to you both.

Cathy - Thanks for the compliment. We can always count on you for kind words of encouragement. I do try to find the best re-alouds for my students so that they can remain engaged in the tale. As for the artificial sweetner, I don't know. My DH, a diabetic, is quite content with Splenda. I just wish he'd lay off the carbonation. Period! Good for you on the "chemical-free" goals. You go girl!

Diane - I've got a friend who runs a health food store. I'll have to ask her about Stevia. I wonder if your signature problem has anything to do with the updates they've made here. The one big change that I've noticed is when I open my hystermail, it doesn't automatically go to the last read posting like it used to. I have to scroll down and find where I left off. Oh well.

Kim - Good for you on the cleaning projects. Everyone should do that periodically even when they're not changing classrooms. Aug 15! I can't believe how early you start! I thought we were early here. We have always started school by the last full week of August. And we always end right around Memorial Day. I think if they changed things, the old-timers would have fits and complain about how radical "these young whiper-snappers" have become. It would start with something like, "Why back in my day...." Or "We have always...."

You all think I'm joking. Wrong!

We had quite a weekend. This weekend in Utah marked "Pioneer Day." It's a "Founder's Day" type of holiday. It was on Sunday, but being Utah, not many activities on Sunday. The local area celebrated on Saturday. Our 14-yr-old DD marched again with the high school band and we joined the throngs at the park for games, food and activities. Once we got home, there was a message from our married DD. Her husband was in an accident. He's got a concussion, abrasions on his balding head, a strained neck, some bruises and sore ribs. No broken bones! (Despite that fact that as a child he suffered with brittle bone disease.) Miracle! He works the night shift as an RN. He dozed off on the way home...just 15 minutes from home. The car rolled and skidded on its roof before coming to a stop in the sand dunes of the median. He was suspended upside-down by his seatbelt. Needless to say, the car was a total loss. Those poor kids! DH and I are just heart sick for them.

Now, if you're keeping score...that's two totalling accidents for SIL, one for our oldest DD, one for our oldest DS, and one for our other DS. The 14-year-old won't be getting behind the wheel. Her dad and I have told her, "No driving for you!"

Yeah, right! Like that's gonna happen.

Have a great week, everyone. I've got to get back in the groove. School starts in just four weeks!

s to all,
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Teachers unite!

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. My dh and MIL took me to T.G.I.Fridays for dinner. Dh did not hesitate to tell the waitress it was my birthday and the next thing I know I have people tying ballons to my wrists. Thank God we did not have a camera.

My classroom cleanup is going well. I am going to a seminar tonight and tomorrow but will be back at it on Thursday. I think I have Kim beat on starting dates. The staff starts school Aug. 3rd and the students begin on Aug. 8th.

Cindy, I am sorry to hear about the accident. I hope DD's husband heals quickly.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summers.
Unread 07-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Teachers unite!

Hi, everyone -

I have discovered that not all Starbucks have internet access - but the drinks are definitely addictive. Neither DH nor I are much for coffee, so we've been sampling the various tea-based cold drinks in addition to our usual hot Earl Grey.

We are currently in Vancouver, BC, where DH has some "stuff" to accomplish over the next couple of days. Vancouver is a beautiful city, and I have no complaints!

This has been a real interlude - time out from our busy lives. Of course, with cell phones we aren't completely out of reach. DD phoned us in a panic when her car died - DH was able to guide her to the appropriate repair shop, and then phoned them after we knew the amount with our credit card number. The other DD phoned us to tell us that she and DSIL have bought a townhouse. DS had his birthday while we were gone and we were able to phone him on the day.

Gotta go - I'm in an internet cafe, and someone else wants to use this machine. Since DH is on our laptop, I probably should let them...mustn't be greedy!

Talk to you all soon...should be home sometime on the weekend.

Ruth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Teachers unite!

Hi ladies, this thread was split to aid in opening as it had gotten pretty long. Here's a link to the old thread in case you need it:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...=1#post1419482

Unread 07-27-2005, 07:03 AM
Teachers unite!

Wow, we got a new thread! Hello everyone!

I went in to work yesterday and I now know what it means to "overdo" it. I was a really bad princess. I got the boxes from my old room unpacked. I got the computers set up. I should not have picked up three monitors/cpu's and carried them across the room. (I was 6 weeks post-op on Friday).

First of all, I didn't realize that my stomach muscles would be so week. Or that I needed my stomach muscles so much to protect my back. Yes, I hurt my back and my stomach muscles are sore.

But the worst of it is that my belly is still swelly this morning and when I went to the bathroom it was really tough to go. It was as if everything was numb and I couldn't push the urine out. I really did a number on myself, I think.

I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to go in today or if I should just stay home and take advil all day.
Unread 07-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Teachers unite!

Hi Ladies,
i thought I'd drop by for a quick note. Cindy I am so sorry to hear about your DD husband..This has been terrible for your family as far as car accidents..Ruth I am glad that you are enjoying visiting StarBuck's..Purple Bear I am glad you are alright Please take good care of your self. I have lots to accomplish since school starts back Mon..take care until later.. Donna
Unread 07-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Teachers unite!

Jean, thanks for moving us again. You're a great hostess.

Wow, celebrations and concerns...

Mary, happy anniversary! Hope you had a lovely time with your groom.

Christine, happy birthday! You got the princess treatment for sure... way to go DH. And you've certainly been a good soldier with the classroom cleanup. Glad it's almost over.

Debi, that swelly belly is just being mean to you. I hope you're feeling better by now. I'm independent, too. It was a humbling experience when I could barely walk to the mailbox for several days. At six weeks I was still perfecting the new skill of how to ask people for help.

Ruth, I'm enjoying your posts from everywhere, picturing you with a big coffee. Have a safe trip home.

Cindy, your DSIL must be a bit shaken. I know somebody's got to do the night shift, but it really takes its toll. DH gets home at 11pm many nights, and sometimes it's worse. And with a long commute... it's a danger. I find it hard to sleep until I hear his car or motorcycle in the driveway. Well, prayers for all your kids, including the one about to drive.

Donna, Endless Energy Woman! I hope your cats are back with you and adjusting to your new place. Good luck with settling in.

Cathy, we're out of Soggy July and into Scorched July. I've got the garden whipped into shape, but whew, I'm a bit whipped too. Good luck with your new regimen. Sometimes even a little change in diet can make a huge difference in how you feel.

Kim, we go back Aug 8 and students come Aug 15. Sounds like several of us are gearing up early like you.

I'm off to DC in the morning. Everyone have a great weekened.

Sarah
Unread 07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Wow!

Cindy,
Your family must have used up their accidents in a lifetime quota. I hope this means no more accidents. (EVER AGAIN!)
Donna,
It sounds like you're the winner as far as starting school again. That's really early...
Went Lucy Caulkins workshop today. Had an excellent presenter, who's only been teaching for 3 years. She sounded like a pro. I can't wait to begin implementing some of the writing strategies learned today.
I'm headed to Dallas for 3 days with my Mom. I'm so glad we both have this short opportunity to get away.
Debi H, No more moving heavy objects!!! That's an order. Believe me, the pain is not worth it.
Kim
Unread 07-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Teachers unite!

Hello everyone,
Thanks for taking care of us Jean - again! Don't we talk?

Well I'm back from the exam board meetings - over for this year. Boy am I glad!

No sign of the grandchild yet but it's due now and I'm getting to feel very excited.

Thanks for the good wishes. DH and I went to an Indian restaurant in the village on Saturday night which was lovely. Christine it sounds as if you celebrated in style too.

Ruth I LOVE Starbucks, especially the frappuccino light and the frappe teas. Also love strawberries and cream - apart from the calories! In winter though it's back to hot coffees.

Debi, as others have said the swelly belly affects most of us for a while - but it does go away eventually. Deep positive - you're doing well.

Cindy it's strange how these car things come in phases. So sorry for you and the family. Let's hope that's your lot now. We had a similar thing with DD and partner. One car was stolen and burnt, the other one was hit three times, twice when they weren't even in it!

Sarah have a great time in DC. Aug 8 sounds so early for return to school. Good luck - also to Kim and anyone else preparing to go back.

Cathy I won't really crawl into that hole after all - but the events are really worrying. The police arrested one of the terrorists in Birmingham yesterday while I was working there. There are so many rumours and much unrest. Thanks for the encouragement, anyway. The girls are having a great time in New Zealand looking at Maori art music and traditions. Hey the summer really does seem to be slipping by so fast. I think the huge contrast to last year is having a strange effect.

Donna you seem very busy again. Are you settled in now? Hope you're comfortable and happy.

Diane don't know about your signature and couldn't see anything in the FAQs. You have to tick a box in your profile and leave the one in the post ticked. You could contact the site managers ('contact us' at the top left).

Everyone - enjoy the rest of the holidays - and don't work too hard on that preparation. I must be one of the latest back to school - early September. We plan to have a short break in France before then, and I still have sewing to do ... (could think of lots of other things ...)

Love to all.
Mary
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:55 AM
Wishing for a more quiet week

Jean - Thank you for taking care of us.

Early birds, Christine and Donna - Wow! Aug 1st & Aug 8th! What happened to summer?! Who planned that? Good luck on your new school year. Christine, you'll be a new woman! Enjoy!

Ruth - The happy wonderer...hope you enjoy your week in BC. It is beautiful there.

Debi - You must ask for help from now on. Yes, rest is the best thing. Try a little ice on that It may help. Please take care of yourself. (I was 6 weeks post-op last year when school started. It does get better, I promise. Just give it time.)

Donna - Our early bird winner! Good luck Monday.

Sarah - Thank you for the concern about DSIL. Actually, it's our DD who's shaken. This is too close to her accident and she's really not handling it well. She's burst into tears several times. Yesterday, they traveled past the accident site on their way to look for new wheels. I haven't heard how it went, but knowing her, I'm sure it was hard. Their cat is concerned about DSIL too. She brought him a "get well present." Left the little mousy on their bed. I was when she told me!

Kim - Amen! Enjoy your trip to Dallas. You've earned the time off.

Mary - Yes! France. If I remember right, you have a little vineyard there. The country air will be wonderful. After exams, you've earned it.

Well, ladies, I finished the Harry Potter book this past weekend. I finished my "Go FISH! for Word Families" game yesterday. Today, I'll call a couple of printers to get estimates for the printing. My printer can't handle 25 pages on cardstock, front and back. Maybe it could, but I think I'll get an estimate anyway. Now, I've got to tackle the PE plans for these little ones. The principal had me review some PE material she got from "VERB."
It looks good, but is geared for upper elementary. I need to write a final report for her on that. We start "Jump Start" on Monday.

It's always something.

s to all,
Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register