Teachers unite! - Page 11 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teachers unite! Teachers unite!

Unread 09-18-2005, 05:45 AM
Teachers unite!

Cathy,
I do so hear you about the idea of a different position...but then afraid of losing that comfort zone! Who would have the energy to start from scratch again?! Certainly not me. Here it is....Sunday morning, and already the "black curtain" is coming down, gearing up for Monday all over again. I wish I knew why I felt like this....and often wonder when I go places (such as to the dr.)....do these people like their jobs?? Nonetheless, as teachers, we continue to give 150% for the sake of our students. Just hoping that 150% effort stays with me for another 13 years (am I counting the years until retirement already?!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Teachers unite!

Lisa:
So early on a Sunday morning! And already the black curtain is coming down. Gheeze! I too look at people and wonder if they truly love their jobs. Perhaps we are just in a funk and things will pass? I hope and pray for this. I often wonder what it would be like to have a job that would allow you to have a weekend free of paperwork? Does this exist? My husband never brings anything home. Hmmmm I will have to ponder on this one some more. In an attempt to raise that black curtain I am trying a few different strategies. I have taped a movie and by 3 or 4 this afternoon, all work shall cease and I plan to go in the "comfort" mode. Perhaps take a nice bath, do my nails, and then enjoy the movie. Mind over matter here!
Enjoy your day.
Unread 09-18-2005, 06:33 AM
Teachers unite!

Cathy, you sound so much like me!! I often wonder also about people who have jobs & don't have to bring work home. My husband brings work home perhaps twice a year, and when he does....he keeps track of the hours spent at home working and then gets paid for it!! Imagine that, getting paid for doing work at home. I just think of the number of weekends & evenings I spend conducting concerts & taking students to music festivals and not even getting so much as gas mileage to go! Oh well, it's for the love of the job, right? It never really bothered me until I had children of my own whom I now have to leave at home so that I can spend time with other people's children. My own sons don't quite understand that yet.
Oh well, this too shall pass and one day we will wake up energized and ready to attack the remainder of our careers with a vengance!
I shall chalk this slump up to post-hysterectomy blues and mid-career slump!
And like you, today I shall cease all work this afternoon....plop myself on the couch and enjoy some ME time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2005, 07:48 AM
Teachers unite!

Oh Ladies. I am right there.
What I AM happy to hear is that you do bring a large amount of work home. My DH seems to think I am the only one that does this. He and I have had arguements about it. He thinks that at this point I shouldn't have to bring it all home. I now can get back into the building at night because we got swipe cards. Last Monday, I came home, loaded up the three children with their backpacks and went back. They did their homework while I tried to get the room in shape for Meet the Teacher night.
It is a shame that we bring so much home. Yesterday, I worked all day trying to get things done. The sad part is, I forgot a few things at work because I was distracted by my new one on one and issues with our physically handicapped/brain trauma child. I realized it yesterday and couldn't get back into the building. I try to get it all done on a Saturday because my DH works then and then he can't complain. He doesn't bring work home, he has to go back to do it. In fact, he is there now. It is ok for him to have to go back on Sat. nights and Sunday morning and night. UGH!!!
I hope this will pass.
Thursday, I actually sat down before dinner and fell asleep. I haven't done that since last May during recovery and never before that. I am a little over nine months post-op. Is being tired now normal?
Try to enjoy the rest of your weekend. We are making homemade salsa today, so no time for school work.
Diane
Unread 09-18-2005, 12:19 PM
Teachers unite!

This is incredible! Seems like each and everyone of us could have written the same posts.
Diane, a funny example you will enjoy:
Background: We were visiting our daughter and moving her final "stuff" south into her new home.

We had just arrived home from a 17 hour drive (Ha ha, AKA as vacation) when I complained to my DH about his plans to return to work days before he was expected. He looked me straight in the face (as I was driving away) and calmly asked me where I was going. He had me and he knew it... I was heading to school... weeks before it started.

Girls we truly love our jobs or we wouldn't be there... we're just in a slump. Remember this next time one of our cherubs says something that makes our heart melt or shows us how important our jobs are... because THAT time will be just around the corner!!!

Now, let's all get back there tomorrow...and show them our

Kathy

PS Son still having problems... had to be rushed to hospital recently. Dr informed us he was in critical condition when checked by paramedics (at a ball game) and should have been transported immediately by ambulance. Since then, he has had 4 other boughts (that we know of) of an elevated heart rate plus numerous other ailments. We are puzzled and frustrated and the dr is now telling us to get a second opinion... in other words she can't figure things out either. Yet, we are not getting guidance on WHO to see. He's at a new school and my big fear is that they won't recognize symptoms. He doesn't recognize them for what they are either, because he doesn't have the ability to feel pain.
Unread 09-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Teachers unite!

Some days are easier than others to put on that game face.

Hope the full moon didn't sock you too hard. Friday the students were full of restless energy. Mon and Tues for harvesting (give a quiz?), Wed and Thurs for planting, Fri and Sat for weeding.

Everyone have a great week!
Sarah
Unread 09-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Teachers unite!

Hello everyone,

Kathy so sorry to hear about DS - he really seems to be having a rough time.

Wow - what a line we've begun! It's so comforting to know that others feel the same way. Perhaps we really do see things differently after the hyst - and the enforced recovery time - and maybe we've reached a restless point. Whatever, it's so good to share and then get back to work - because I guess that's what we'll all be doing, bright-faced, as if we hadn't a care in the world, in the morning. I too so wish I could just go home sometimes without work, like others do. The trouble is, DH is also a teacher so we both work most of the weekend.

Diane and Lisa, I know how you feel about your own family. So many times DD has spent evenings at school waiting for us to finish attending a function. Ah well, such is life. As others have said - can't really leave the comfort zone and can't really imaging doing anything else.

Cathy I like your therapy - would really like to do the same but it's late now - maybe next weekend. Hope you now have great looking nails and are relaxed and feeling good.

Donna your schedule sounds pretty tough - take good care.

Sarah thanks for the forecast. I have a quiz ready so think I'll get it out tomorrow. They certainly were high on Friday but we had some really heavy rain so I thought that was the reason.

Haven't heard from Cindy recently - are you out there? No doubt very busy but we hope you're ok.

We just returned from leaving DD at uni in London. It's going to be really strange around here now the last one has gone.

Well I too must get on with preparation for tomorrow - and next week I vow to do it the other way round, like you, Cathy. It seems more sensible to get school work out of the way and then have some 'me' time.

Hope the week goes well for everyone.
Love to all.
Mary.
Unread 09-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Teachers unite!

Is there a full moon right now? That would explain a great deal as to why my 6th gr. chorus was lacking in BASIC behavior skills on Friday!! Of course, maybe that is the way they are going to behavior for the remainder of the year....heaven help me if that is the case! 20 years of teaching and I have never had a verbal war break out between students (in a class of 85!). I run a very tight ship in my classes and yet, this just about did me in!! I didn't think that 6th graders could be so rude.....so early in the year!
Are we ready for MONDAY?????
Our bubbly faces are on, fingernails are painted (Cathy, did you get your nails done?), childrens' back packs loaded & lunches made, school work completed (not me....still have lesson plans to do!)....
Here's to Monday, ladies! And here's hoping I can function 100% with this new HRT that makes me want to spin my head into a complete 360 while falling asleep mid sentence! Oh where, oh where is the hormone balance!?
Happy Monday!
Unread 09-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Teachers unite!

Well ladies, I also feel the same way. I figured out that I have 5, 505 days left until retirement. That is if I go out at 30 years. Otherwise it will be longer.

Roz, what you are seeing in your 6th graders occurs daily in our building and with younger students. We also have severe emotional behavior students and 7th/8th graders in our building. Their behavior is extremely bad. My little ones see this behavior and try to immate it. On Friday we had the cops and an ambulance at the school because of one of the SEB kids. He was mad at something and put his hand through a window. He did this in front of two classes and 150 grandparents. (The grandparents were here for grandparents day.) Needless to say, we were on the 5:00 p.m. news.

I will think of all of you tomorrow when you are getting ready for school. I am taking tomorrow off because dh has to have a cyst removed from his back.
Unread 09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Teachers unite!

Hi everyone,
Just a quick stop to see the postings.

I emailed Cindy as we hadn't heard from her for a while. She's fine, but really busy, and says 'Hello' to everyone.

Christine that made me smile when I read your message. As I find it really difficult to deal with large figures beyond my environment (like how many to cook for ....) it's even funnier - can't even imagine that many days at work.
Guess what - my 18 year old DD who just left for uni got a letter on the day before departure from the government to tell her how much she'll be due at 60 and advising her to start saving now!

Had a good day today - but I'm whacked. Feet hardly seemed to touch the floor until 4pm. Now to preparation for tomorrow ...

Talk again soon. Have a good week.
Love to all.
Mary.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register