Teachers unite! - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teachers unite! Teachers unite!

Unread 08-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Teachers unite!

Hello everyone,
I too just popped in to see how everyone was doing. Remember last year (for those a year past the hyst) how we used to be sooooh thankful when it was Friday?

Well I guess those back at school are still very happy indeed that the weekend will soon be here. I've been in school two days again this week and am looking forward to getting some sewing done tomorrow evening.

Donna - so good to hear from you. Continue to take care and consider all the advice and possibilities. Continued thoughts and prayers your way.

Have a good end of the week everyone.
Mary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2005, 01:45 PM
hi

Hello All,
I hope you all are doing well. I go to visit a neuro psychologist on Wed. I am a bit anxious. I have lots of tests to grade and enter into the computer but no computer to enter them into as mine at school died FRI afternoon..I am perplexed.
I have been searching on line to locate some employement closer to home. I do not enjoy living in the basement of my brother and sister in law. I came home after Sunday School today just so I could be alone.
I am MAD..can't necessarily tell you why..but..
Now I have kept all of you in my prayers thanks for being my friends.. Also I have not recieved a post telling me you all posted..Oh well..
Take care and ride the storms out carefully and safely
Love to all Donna
Unread 08-28-2005, 03:30 PM
Teachers unite!

Hi, Donna, why are you staying with your brother? Did your doctor recommend that? Did I miss something? Feeling mad... isn't that one of the normal stages of the grieving process, and you're in danger of losing your career, one of the most important things in your life? Right after moving into a new place, and starting the school year, I'd say the stress index is high for you right now. Given a big task like grades and inadequate tools for doing the task... you might be angry about some loss of control over your life. Take care, sister. You're in my prayers too. Love you, Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Teachers unite!

Just stopped by to say a quick hello to everyone.
Donna I think we're all worried for you. Prayers and hugs coming your way - do take care and get some advice. Most of all look after yourself.

I heard the news about the hurricane and hope that all the dear friends on the thread are safe and well. Thinking of you all. Love to each one. It's late now so I'll come back tomorrow.
Mary.
Unread 08-29-2005, 04:04 AM
Teachers unite!

Just stopped in for a quick hello.
Donna--You obviously had an impact on all you know not just children. Please know you are always in my prayers. Remember to listen to others, but you make the final decision. We all love and care about you.

I hope everyone is weathering this storm. The effects of it won't reach us in PA until mid-week. I have mandatory work days on those days so I am ok with having rain. We need it desperately. Most of my flowers died from the heat. I watered them so often I thought the roots would rot, but it didn't help. Time to replace them with mums.

s,
Diane
Unread 08-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Teachers unite!

It's been a little while since I've posted. School gets in the way of my online time. How rude is that??

Things are going well for me. We started school on the 16th of August and I'm back teaching fifth grade. I spent most of my career in 4/5 before taking a job in second grade last year. This is really more what I'm used to, so I have felt a certain amount of comfort this year.

Of course I do have challenges. One of my students has had a seizure disorder for most of her life that has left her a little on the odd side. And now her family is going through a divorce and the stress has sent her over the edge, emotionally. I try to be firm and caring and empathetic, but I see a rough road ahead for this one. We've been in school for 11 days and she's been suspended for three of them.

And another of my students has ADHD and is currently unmedicated. I'm not necessarily saying that all students like this should be medicated, but he took the ritalin at the end of last year and did well, what makes the parents think that he'd changed enough over the summer to not need meds?

This child literally shakes and rocks and chews any paper or object within reach. He's rarely on task and when he's not on task he's talking to his neighbors or doing something equally distracting. Again, exhausting.

And I have two students on IEPs, one is mentally retarded- the other learning disabled. I have paras that come in twice a day to work with them. I'm lucky to have them and they help out a lot more than our special ed teacher, who schedules her time with them during their music/pe time so they won't have to see her.

So it's shaping up to be quite an interesting year for me. I come home quite tired and then wonder why. I have to remind myself that I just had major surgery less than three months ago. I'm feeling great. I just don't have the stamina I used to have.

Hope all is well with everyone else. I've been reading and thinking about you, Donna, as I'm sure everyone else is. Hopefully none of you were affected by that terrible hurricane in the gulf.
Unread 08-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Teachers unite!

It seems like it's been forever since I replied to a thread. I've missed you all, but just haven't found the time I need to put my thoughts to keyboard...

Donna - You are continually in my thoughts and prayers. I hope your visit with the psychologist was productive but most importantly, helpful. May you find all the guidance that you need and remember Who will listen to your concerns and the tender feelings of your heart. s!

Mary - How exciting to see Sarah after her whirlwind tour. Enjoy your summer vacation. Remind me, when do you go back?

Christine - Yes, this little man is definitely looking to you for advocacy. Document, document, document. And yes, take a colleague along. Blessings for courage are sent your way for the strength and wisdom to do all you can for him.

Cathy - Sorry to hear that the bladder is still a problem. I hope the new meds will do the trick.

Debi - Yes, even at three months post-op, life is still a struggle when it comes to stamina. You are in the right place at the right time for these little ones who need you at this time in their lives. (Trust me, on the ritalin-refused, I know what you're going through!)

Sarah - How does this long weekend look for weeding and transplanting? I'm taking a class and if I don't rip out and transplant now, I'm afraid I'll never get to it. I've got to divide some clusters of daisies, transplant my peonies (a new downspout has sent one into shock and it hasn't bloomed in two years!), and my rhubarb needs to be divided, too. So much to do. I thought this weekend might be a good time to tackle such a project.

Diane - I hope your trip to the beach was lovely. You certainly made it sound so! I'm positively green with envy. (I grew up in southern California. I miss the beach. It was always a multi-sensory experience for me.) And I certainly was glad to hear that the doctor's reading was indeed laughable! Now, if only HIS insurance would pay for the "closer look!" I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he read the radiologist's report.

Well, what can I say? School has started. All I have done is "assess, assess, assess!" And we are still assessing! We've just about established our target groups for the afternoon pull-out program. (Had to do MORE assessing this afternoon in math!)

I've been helping with the new PE program that our principal has been trying to establish. Now if the regular ed teachers would just hop on board. The first grade team has been exceptionally difficult. Non-cooperative. Non-accommodating. And the third grade team has done nothing but grumble, grumble, grumble. Here's what's been set up: Over an hour-and-a-half time block, students go to lunch for half-an-hour, teachers get half-an-hour for their lunch during which their students receive half-an-hour of PE instruction, and then, there is also a half-an-hour of in-class instruction. (The three grades, 1-3, rotate the P.E. time.) What's the big deal? Instead of a PE rotation in the afternoon, the teachers are free to give other core instuction. THEY don't have to teach PE. They still get a lunch break. There are two things I suspect are at the heart of their grumblings: 1) control and , 2) change.

DD is doing fine with high school. Although, Sarah, you may appreciate this, her English teacher has her reading Steinbeck's The Pearl. We've all read that. Is there any other book that can possibly be used to literarily disect? Talk about ...I don't know what, I'm at a loss for words. I say, just let them read the book, discuss it and get it over with! Why drag it out for ten weeks is beyond me!

Okay, it's late and I'm rambling.

Glad everyone is out of the path of destruction from Katrina. Such a tremendous tragedy! And now, looting! Shameful. Hope the rain doesn't do too much damage as she makes her way back out to sea.

Love you all!

s
Cindy
Unread 08-31-2005, 04:25 AM
Teachers unite!

Deb--I am a special education teacher and let me tell you, I am apalled at how your special ed teacher handles things. As a team in our building we decided we would never dump children in classrooms for the sake of inclusion. If there is a child in that classroom that cannot handle the material on their own, we push in to co-teach or pull them out to be taught in our room. I do have students that are not with me for math, science and social studies and they can do it without the least bit of support from me. Some need a few modifications (tests read to them) that the homeroom teacher or I do. What is happening to you and all the students is not fair.

Cindy--I know what you mean about the beginning of the year being all about assessment. I had a parent call already to ask why I haven't done an IEP for her daughter and it isn't due until December. I need to assess her to she where she is functioning and get to know her since I haven't ever taught her before. I would like to think I am good at what I do, but not that good that I can project levels without working with a child. I have always started the year with assessing students in all subjects that they attend my class and then set up the community environment within the classroom. That takes several weeks. I have found it is a very valuable time for students and they are more apt to take a risk academically. I have a co-worker in my department that just doesn't understand why I just don't plunk them into the levels they were in at the end of last year and go. YIKES.

Thanks for the thoughts after my uterus being found deal. It helped to have all your support. It is funny now, but I had moments of frustration and stress.

Well, I have to go get ready for my first offical day back. I work today and tomorrow and students start next Tuesday. We are working without a contract. This will be an interesting year. Our district in all the years it has been around has been known to not go on strike. I hope we don't. I don't want to have to teach late into June.

Have a great day.

s,
Diane
Unread 08-31-2005, 01:23 PM
hey

Hello All,
I do not remember all of the names and I did not write them down...I will go for further testing on Sept 22nd..I will have another visit on Sept 24th..another on Oct 5th..so much for teaching humm I was feeling as if this was a wasted day as I do not think everything got accomplished that should have with the neuro pshcy person..
In on of my 6th grade classes I have 18 children with some form of an IEP that modifications have to be made..In all of the others I have around 8 - 10. Then I have a total of 24 - 28 in a class.
That is a lot of preps with no help or aid from the special ed department They all say that our exploratory is a time for them to get a break and "plan" Oh well..
I chose to teach health so I must suffer the consequences. Now my brother and sister in law could not afford to [urchase a home on their own as he is a minister and most states will not allow them to purchase until they have had gainful employment for a yr.
I hate it but God know and knew best..He sees the future and evidently I need to live in the basement right now.
Take good care all Thank you for your supposrt and prayers.. I love all of you Donna
Unread 08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Teachers unite!

Cindy, you're in luck. Sep 1-5 are super for destroying weeds. Did you say 10 weeks on The Pearl? I can't think of anything to say to that. Surely that was a typo.

Donna, right back at you. Good luck with your challenging schedule... all of it.

Goodbye, August.

Sarah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register