Teachers unite! - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teachers unite! Teachers unite!

Unread 09-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Teachers unite!

Hello Sisters:
So nice to hear from everyone. I do miss the days when you were notified of a new posting. I will just have to visit the site manually....Haha!
Donna - what type of tests are they going to be performing? When are you required to give a definitive answer? I am sorry for the questions. I want you to know that I think of you daily and say a prayer for you to receive a sign for your future career.
Sarah - thanks for the forecast. Did you receive much rain from the storm? Such a catastrophe. I must be honest and tell you that I have purposely avoided the news. I see the pictures and become so upset.
Mary - how are things going with you? Did Sarah leave yet? I have forgotten her departure date. Such an active life she leads! I think we could all learn a great lesson from her (and Nike) and "just do it!"
Cindy - you got that right about the assess! Goodness, that is all we are doing and we are in the 4th week of school. On Friday they will be administering the DIBELS to our students. It's more intense with the younger grades but still requires loads of preparation to get the entire school tested. I think your PE program sounds great. Why so many mumbles?
Diane - I wish you taught spec. ed at my school. You sound like someone with their act together. Unfortunately our push-in teacher doesn't appear to be so gung-**. I was to attend a staffing on Monday for my new student. They scheduled it at 7:30 and by the time everyone got in and introduced themselves it was 7:45. I got a chance to share some assessments and the next thing I knew it was 7:50 and I was supposed to be in class. They said they would send a sub down to cover my class but no one came. At 8:30 I called down and they said that the meeting was over and Mom was real happy with the way it went....hello what about me? I am the one who is to be doing the accomodations for this child! Apparently they didn't think it was necessary for me. Then the resource teacher decided not to schedule classes for my little one on Wednesday because it was early release day and she did not schedule them for Fridays either because most classes had special activities. As I recall, isn't it federal law?...based on the time he is supposed to attend? Please forgive me for venting. I didn't intend to go off on a rampage. I actually surprised myself with writing so much. What are your thoughts?
Deb - you sound like you have your hands full. Can you speak to the parents of the child without medication? Perhaps you can share with them all of the difficulties he is experiencing. As for your stamina....it does come back....slowly. Be patient and give yourself time to heal.
Well I apologize again for rambling so much.
I hope everyone is doing well.
Have a great day.
Love to all!
Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Teachers unite!

Hi Just a quick pop in..I wanted you all to know that I am taking Fri and Tues off as I think my brain needs it as sleep totally eludes me at the present moment..The testing will be done to assess my cognitive abilities and such I think from what I gather.. oh well..to all I love you Donna Oh I told the kids that I would be out alot and I wasn't dying just tht my insides was sick.. I also told them I would answer any question they had and for them not to worry
Unread 09-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Teachers unite!

Hello everyone,
Well I meant to come back in on the postings yesterday but it turned out to be busy. There was a lot to read today - a sign that everyone's busy again. Cindy we begin school on Monday. I'm really going to miss the time in the home. Last summer was so strange - this year it has been great to do some sewing, bread making, etc. I'm already feeling apprehensive about the busy time ahead. Cathy and other early starters it's hard to believe you've been back four weeks already. Diane good luck with the return to school.

Our holidays seem to have flown by and now it's my turn. Sarah and friend will be off to uni in two weeks. Meantime they have preparatory work to do - documented research and sketches. I've been busy finishing two quilts for them to take with them to keep warm and remind them of home and their travels.

Donna I'm pleased you're taking a couple of days off. You should really take extra care of yourself while you investigate the way forward. s

Cindy that book reading sounds long enough to put anyone off literature. Hope DD survives without turning against it.

Debi I like your opener - it really is inconsiderate of school to get in the way so much! Totally true, though. People outside the profession don't realise how much time teachers put in. Remind yourself that you are doing amazingly well to be there all day teaching after major surgery. Stamina will return - but gradually.

Thanks for the forecast Sarah. The weeds are rampant here - a fair bit of sunshine followed by a few big storms have really helped them grow.

Well I should get some sleep - I have much to do this weekend ready for Monday. Hope everyone has a great Friday and a really enjoyable weekend.

Love to all.
Mary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Teachers unite!

Just wanted to reassure everyone that I am still alive. School has been very busy and I have lots of paperwork to do at night.

Cathy, we just finished doing diebels last week. I have to administer them again in two weeks. UGH!!! I think I spend more time testing than teaching.

I will be gone through Tuesday. Dh's uncle died this afternoon and we are heading to Indiana for the funeral. He'd been in the hospital for about two weeks. They discovered this morning he had lukemia and colon cancer.

Well, I have to go and prepare for Friday and Tuesday.
Unread 09-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Teachers unite!

Donna- Good luck on the tests. Too bad you can't study for these.

Thanks, everybody, for the support you've given me with my special ed kids.

One of them suffers from the affects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, so she's not going to get any better. She's the hardest worker and has the best attitude. I've never seen her unhappy about anything. While I modify assignment lengths for some of my students, she happily does every problem and asks for extra credit.

I've asked repeatedly for a meeting to discuss the scheduling problems and I've also asked for the IEPs with no success. If I don't get these things on Tuesday, I'm going to ask the students' parents and guardians for their copies of the IEPs. I shouldn't have to resort to this.

As for the little boy with ADHD, he's involved in a step family situation right now. Mom thinks he doesn't need meds. Step mom thinks he does. Dad tries to stay out of their way. Get the picture?

I'm really enjoying the slowed pace of the holiday weekend. I've been able to rest a lot (I have a cold or allergies or both) and I've been able to enjoy my own child, who started pre-school this year.

Christine- Sorry to hear about your DH's uncle. That was fast. I hope he didn't suffer.

Well, I'm off to fold some laundry and be productive.
Unread 09-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Hello All- I still around!

Hi, had a hard time finding you--- haven't been able to be on since the new format and it's a bit confusing. Can't find where I can subscribe to thread???
Lots of health issues with son in past few months and not much time to come on-line. I've missed you all and hope the summer was rejuvenating. I go back Tuesday. Don't be envious...remember Mary and I where in a lot latter than most of you. LOL
We were at a ball game last night when my son took ill again and we had to rush him to emergency. I thought everything was straightened out and he'd be all set to start back Tues... Now I worry again. He's going to Jr High for the first time and no one knows him there. I'm very concerned about people not recognizing changes or medical issues until it's critical. Wish us luck.
I haven't been able to read the post since July so I hope all are well. Donna, have you been behaving yourself and keeping better health? Sarah, how's the gardening? Mary, I'm sure you've been traveling! Cindy and Cathy, you two are so good at keeping track of all of us, How are YOU? To all the "Newbies" I'm sorry I haven't gotten to know you as well, but hope to be on more often... Hard to believe I'll be able to, with classes starting this week, but I promise to try. xxxooo Kathy
Unread 09-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Teachers unite!

I just spent a strenuous morning digging up crepe myrtle roots. Paid my landscaping friend to take out the trees three years ago and had suckers ever since. This time I really gave them what for. I'm preparing the ground for planting purple crinum lilies next week. That part of the bed needs some height.

Kathy, I was thinking about you just the other day. Glad you found us but sorry to hear about son. I am always grateful when parents let me know about medical concerns and surely his new teachers will be also. Sure makes our job easier to know.

Debi, glad you're having some rest and time at home. Mary and Diane, wishing you a good start to the year. Cathy, hope you're feeling better now.

Christine, sorry about your uncle. I hope your time with family is healing for them. It's great you are taking time to travel to see them. Safe journey.

Cindy, good luck with the peonies. How wonderful you can grow them there. My grandmother had peonies along the walkway to the farmhouse. I think they were particular favorites of hers. Hope that project is going well if you decided to tackle it.

Donna, good luck with resting and testing. Good idea to tell the students something... they don't want to lose you and may be worried about their health teacher's health.

Starting Tuesday, four days good for planting and transplanting. Still too hot here for Cathy and me to transplant, but I can feel the change coming soon.

Everyone have a great Labor Day and week.
Sarah
Unread 09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Teachers unite!

Hello To All:
Donna - I think the rest will do you good. Please take care. Let us know how the tests come out.
Christine - so sorry to hear about dh's uncle. Saying a special prayer for you.
Kathy - welcome! I do hope your son's medical conditions resolve themselves. Like Sarah said, let those teachers know what to keep an eye on. That should help enormously.
Mary - you will find yourself being thrown right back into things whether you like it or not! Don't you just wish we could go back in time for more of the relaxing parts!
Cindy - hope your long weekend is going well.
Debi- your students sound like they are in the right place with you as their teacher. Continue to fight for their rights! Hope your allergy/cold situation improves.
Sarah - the forecast helped me to do some weeding yesterday. You are right about the heat....I feel a break coming and I will welcome it with open arms.
Best wishes for a relaxing and continued weekend!

Cathy
Unread 09-04-2005, 03:02 PM
Teachers unite!

Hello everyone,
Well we've had a really busy weekend, preparing for the return to school.

We also had a friend's birthday to celebrate so ate out last night, which was a good way to end the holiday. There now seems so much to do - and yes, Cathy, I so yearn for the more relaxing days! You'd think a teacher would be prepared for this - it happens every year - but it's always the same. Once the year starts it runs fine (and fast), but anticipating it is awful for those last few days of holiday.

DD and friend (Iiving with us at present) are preparing for uni, so it's a busy house. They have lots of prep work to do and are trying to sort their rooms and belongings. It will be very empty when they go.

Cathy hope you're not feeling too bad - maybe you've been able to relax a bit over the weekend if it's too hot to get outside a lot?

Good to hear from you again Kathy. Sorry about your son's problems - but as the other say, informing the teachers should help a lot.

Thanks for the forecast Sarah. Those crinium lilies sound lovely. DH has some orange canna lilies in bloom but they have to go into the greenhouse in winter. It's been really warm here too this weekend. Cindy the peonies sound lovely - our neighbour has deep pink ones right on the boundary of our gardens so we get the benefit of them too.

Christine sorry about your uncle - will be thinking of you this week.

Debi you've had a tough time so far - hope you've been able to relax this weekend.

Diane hope the start of year goes well. Why do you not have a written contract? Did I miss something? Seems very strange.

Donna I'm sure we're all thinking of you. Do hope you're resting up and feeling brighter. You deserve it. Your students will miss you but will want you to be as well as possible.

I just realised it's labor day for you all - so happy extended weekend. Our next break is half-term at the end of October. Well I hope you all have a good holiday Monday. Love to all.
Mary.
Unread 09-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Teachers unite!

Cathy--Let me see if I got this right. The resource teacher did not schedule your student to go to the resource room or have support on Wednesday and Friday? If that is the case, then you need to look at the IEP and see what percentage of time that child is to be in the resource setting and see if he is getting that amount of support. I don't know how your state does it, but ours does it by the week. There are weeks that my students don't meet the required time but that is because of holidays, field trips or special events. It is never scheduled as such. Did I answer your question?
Diane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register