Teachers unite! - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Teachers unite! Teachers unite!

Unread 09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Teachers unite!

Debi-- In our state we have to provide access to the IEPs to all the teachers who are involved with the child. We used to give a teacher a binder of IEPs of the students they taught directly and they had to put it in a secure spot. Then when we would revisit and rewrite or addend the IEP we had to make copies and hand them out to needed them and collect the old ones and destroy them. Now in our technological age we do it on a secure directory. I email the teachers involved, tell them how to get to the directory (in which the technology person gives only those who need them rights to the folder)to find the IEPs. A note goes out at the beginning of the year and then again each time I change something on the IEP. I attach a read receipt to make sure that the people who need to read them do and then I save all the receipts for that year. If there is ever a question about why a regular education teacher doesn't know what is going on with a child, I have record of it. We used to meet before the school year during our two mandatory days and go over all students. Now I am booked solid both days with other meetings and I can't do it. I will try to do that this week with the teachers during one of their prep times. We also keep hard copies of the IEP in the office in a central file in which teachers directly involved with the student have the right to access without signing an access sheet. I don't know how it works in other states though.
I hope that you can get what you want. I push working as a team with people involved with the child. We all need to be on the same page doing the same thing to make a difference for that child.
Does this help?
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2005, 07:49 AM
hi

quick note to tell everyone hello. glad it is Fri gotta go teach about AIDS talk to each of you this afternoon lots to tell Love Donna
Unread 09-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Teachers unite!

Hey, everyone. The weekend is good for pruning something you don't want to grow too much. Next week is good for nurturing things all week long. Have a great weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Teachers unite!

Thanks for the advice, Diane. I'm not sure how it works in our state, but our SPED teacher does her own thing, I'm sure. I finally used my trump card about those IEPs. I told her I didn't want to bother her anymore about them, so I'd ask the parents. I was sure they'd have them... I had the IEPs on my desk in an hour. LOL And now that I have the documents, they do spell out the amount of resource room time and the amount of para time, so I am holding her to the scheduling that we finally worked out. Of course her idea of resource room time is them in the room with a para working with them, but not much I can do about that at this time.

Donna, hope you are well. Hope to hear from you soon.
Unread 09-10-2005, 04:41 AM
Teachers unite!

Hello everyone,
Sarah I think it's your birthday tomorrow, so have a very happy day and weekend. What a momentous date for a birthday.

Also remembering 9/11 and anyone over there directly affected by it.

My first whole week back at school has been manic.
It always begins like a whirlwind, but because we tutor the senior students for a two year cycle, every other year (for me) it coincides with university applications. So there's all that to deal with on top of the usual busy activities. At least once it's all over the rest of the term seems fairly comfortable by comparison.

Thanks for the forecast Sarah. DH was planning to do a lot of tidying in the garden this weekend, and it's pouring with rain. Ah well ... that's England.

Cathy is it still really hot there? I saw a glimpse of the area on the news following Katrina. Have you been feeling any better this week?

Donna I do hope you're ok and that the rest days helped. Take good care.

Debbi very well done with your strategy. That was a smart move. Shouldn't have been necessary when all you're doing is trying to achieve the best for your students, but a good outcome.

Diane your system of notifying teachers sounds very efficient. Ours certainly lags behind and I've often said I'd like better access to the IEPs and to be able to check updates more easily.

Christine hope your visit to Indiana went smoothly.

Cindy are you still doing assessment? How is DD doing?

Everyone - hope the busy term is going well. Enjoy the weekend and have some time to yourselves.
Love to all.
Mary.
Unread 09-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Teachers unite!

Good morning everyone!

Our trip to Indiana went fine. I really hate funerals because you are so emotional for so many days. Dh and his mom are doing better.

Debbie, that was a wonderful way to get what you needed. Like Diane, our IEP's are on line but the regular ed teachers do not have access yet. I did not know that one of my kids gets occupational therapy until the woman showed up at my door.

Happy birthday Sarah!

Since last week was so short for me, I did not get my midterm reports out. I am spending my weekend writing those. Except for a couple of attitude problems this year, I have a pretty decent class. I think if I had the same class as last year I would have quit working.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
Unread 09-10-2005, 07:00 AM
Teachers unite!

Debi-I am glad you got the IEPs. I don’t like the sound of how your special education teacher works. I try not to do that to teachers. Since you got some action I am going to ask for some help. How do I get the regular education teachers to stop thinking of my room as the place to complete work with IEP students that they don’t complete with them in their rooms or even include them in, but expect to have completed? This happens all the time and I take the time to do it so the kids aren’t without the project on the bulletin board. It is artsy types of projects that can be completed during the homeroom time. This frustrates me because then my plans aren’t accomplished.

I have a student that was in a terrible accident a few days before starting third grade. He is now ten. He is such a blessing. He was brought back to life two or three times and it was thought he would never come out of a coma. I wish you all could meet him. He has such a sense of humor and is very patient with us as we learn to change his diaper. His legs are very rigid and the right one hurts him sometimes when we try to straighten it. He is very modest and his mother is a saint. He was a very smart prior to the accident. He has a lot more ability then most people give him credit for. Well the purpose of this is that I am having difficulty with my fifth grade team members. They are very curt when I want to discuss issues with them about this child that they have throughout the day and are responsible for. They do not do any of the health care, his one on one, my instructional aide and myself do it all. We change him in an extra room in our hall so that we don’t waste transition time and then wait time to go to the nurse. The nurse’s office is too busy and there isn’t an area private enough to do this. We made Room in Use signs and had the homeroom teachers explain that no one is to enter the room when the signs are posted. Yesterday, someone entered the room during that time. There are screens in place so that if that happens, we are not is the wide open that people see what is going on. There are windows on the door too. When I tried to address it with the teachers, they reacted like I was making it up. This poor child was devastated and immediately asked to be covered when he heard the door opening. How do I handle this one?

Donna-I am anxious to hear how things are going. I think about you everyday and say a prayer.

Mary—thank you for thinking of us during the anniversary of 9/11. My focus lately has been on those poor people in Louisiana and Mississippi. I wish there was more I could do than donate what I can toward relief.

Sarah,--Happy Birthday.
s,
Diane
Unread 09-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Teachers unite!

Diane, I am so sorry to hear that your fifth grade team is not on board with your regarding this child. Can your principal help with this? Call a meeting or find your some space? Can you lock the door?

Our SPED teacher is the opposite of you in so many ways. She expects me to send work with my IEP students that they can finish in the resource room. They don't usually have unfinished work because they 1-have paras working with them in the room, 2-have shortened assignments, so she wants me to make stuff up? She asked me to send their spelling lists so they could memorize the words. I use the Sitton spelling program, so we don't have a list like that. :-) When there is a sub, she doesn't leave plans. She just says to see the classroom teacher and we will provide them with work.
Unread 09-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Teachers unite!

Hello Sisters!
Diane - yes, you did answer my question and I thank you very much. I have tried to locate his pink folder (iep included) but the resource teacher has it checked out. I want to look it over because it doesn't make sense to me.
I do have some good news to share! They finally found a medication that is helping me! AMEN! It is used for both bladder and stomach spasms so it doesn't quite tell me what the culprit is but at least I can function. I can't tell you have relieved I have been.
How is everyone doing? I haven't seen a posting in days. We had a little bit of a scare last week with a possible hurricane hitting Florida. They closed school for students on Thursday because of high winds. I know this is terrible to say but it was the best thing that has happened in a while. I was able to get so much done! Friday was back to normal but we are still keeping an eye on Ophelia. She might turn around and come back.
I miss seeing your posts. I hope everyone is doing well.
Hugs to you!
Cathy
Unread 09-11-2005, 06:51 AM
Teachers unite!

Ok - now I feel really goofy. After posting a quick reply, I went back and was then able to see all of the posts. I feel out of the loop again. Please forgive me!
Sarah - goodness gracious Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful celebration...you are worthy.
Christine - glad you are back. Hope you are able to complete those reports in record time and focus on yourself.
Diane - I wish you worked at my school. I would love a resource teacher like you! So proactive and prokid! I hope the incident with your special student is resolved. They need to respect his privacy. The poor little darling is probably devastated over this recent situation. Could you sit down with them again and explain this necessity?
Mary - yes, remembering 9/11 as well as the victims of the hurricane. Such tragic events. You sound so busy already and school has just started for you.
Debi - how have you been feeling? I wouldn't send work with your students when they go to the resource room. It is my understanding that they must be teaching a different curriculum to assist them with those particular skills. I never send it with my little ones.
Donna - how have you been feeling? I think of you often and hope and pray they can find some medical miracle that will assist you.
Cindy....where are you? I miss you.
I hope I didn't forget anyone.
Blessings to you!
Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register