Adenomyosis? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Adenomyosis?

The pathology has come back and I was diagnosed with Adenomyosis. After researching this on the Internet it totally makes sense to me now. I never was able to have children, always dealt with 10+ pain and clothes-ruining bleeding.

My question(s) begin with this . . .

Is Adenomyosis a pre-cursor to any form of cancer? In other words, did I just save myself from a lot of aggravation of having to deal with cancer later on?

Is there any indication that Adenomyosis is genetic? Was I born with this?

I thought all these years I just had Endometriosis. I understand Adenomyosis is just an Inter-version of Endometriosis. But, is Adenomyosis a result of Endometriosis or is it just what it is?

I have these and will likely have many more questions as these are answered.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Adenomyosis?

Sweetie, I do not think that adenomyosis is a precursor of cancer and I don't think it is genetic although my Mom did have a hyst and at the time was diagnosed with Dysfuntional Uterine Bleeding. Could this have been adeno? I suppose so but in those days women never asked about their diagnosis..............they just accpeted the fact that they needed a hyst. Adenomyosis is endo of the uterine wall and a hysterctomy is the only cure. I hope this helps.

Emily s
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Adenomyosis?

I had it too. Did you say you weren't able to have children? Did you suffer miscarriages? Sorry to be so bold. Just that adeno is usually only found in women that have gone through childbirth. Mine looked like I had a lot of fibriods but come to find out they were pockets of blood in the inner wall in the (endo) adeno... myometrium... I think that's right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Adenomyosis?

Never had children. To my knowledge, never had a miscarriage but don't know for sure. I do know from the time my husband and I first started to try for children, I had several rather large and bloody discharges. The doctors could never confirm or deny if these instances were miscarriages or not.

My maternal grandmother had a very hard time conceiving children and ended up only having one child (my mother).

My mom had trouble getting pregnant with her first (my brother) but then had no trouble with me (middle) or my sister (youngist). I do know as she approached menopause her periods became increasingly heavy, to the point of anemia at times.

I am not worried about how or why I had it. Am more concerned if I have to think about other diseases or conditions that might develop later as a result of the Adenomyosis.

Thanks all for your responses! I appreciate the kind words and knowledge from those who have gone before me!
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Adenomyosis?

ImAMCsurvivor,

Also had a post op diagnosis of adenomyosis and never had children. I was surprised by this (my GYN was not) since most of the research that I have done post op states that over 80% of women diagnosed with adenomyosis have had children. We are, of course, in the 20% - not common, but not exactly rare either.

Anyway, back to your question. I was also concerned about any possible future problems due to the adenomyosis diagnosis, and my GYN said that there are not any. Spent a lot of hours researching this on the web, and I haven't found any indications of adenomyosis being linked with any types of cancer. Have not read anything suggesting any type of genetic link.

Wishing you good health.
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Adenomyosis?

Hi ImABC Survivor,

I to had a hyst on 7/08/05 and my pathology report cmae back as adenomyosis, cyst in uterus and abnormal cells in uterus, but all was benign.

My Dr. thought that I had fibroids, but after the surgery, she said I am sure it was adenomyosis, but she had to wait on the path report to confirm it.

The adeno had attached my bladder to my cervix.

I have had problems for years, but just kept telling myself it was not that bad, went to the Dr. for my annual check in April and found that I was anemic due to the heavy periods. They were lasting 3 out of 4 weeks a month and not a day went by that I did not cramp badly.
I on the other hand was able to have children, both born by C-section, but had an placenta abruption with the youngest one at 32 weeks. And now I read that adeno will cause that.

So, I am just glad it is over and am feeling pretty good other than being really tired still.

Hope I was able to help you in some way.

Toni

LAVH 7/08/05 due to adenomyosis, resultant anemia, kept ovaries
Unread 07-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Adenomyosis?

I, too, had adenomyosis. My doctor already knew what the problem was from doing three separate ultrasounds (about a year apart) and could tell the problem was getting worse. I have had four children. My adeno was first diagnosed in 1999, three months after my third child was born, then in 2003 after my fourth was born it was so bad I was bleeding three weeks out of the month with huge clots and was so heavy I was severely anemic. I also had problems with the pregnancy with the last baby. The placenta tore because of the adeno and I had to go on bedrest. I almost lost him.

I am so glad to have had the surgery and have all that pain gone! It is very much worth it.

I dont think it is hereditary. My mother had to have a hyst but hers was because of fibroids.
Unread 07-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Adenomyosis?

I was like no way when my doc mentioned that I probably had adenomyosis. I thought my pain was from my ovaries- I was almost 100% sure it was and this wasnt going to solve my pain issue. never had heavy bleeding just alot of pain after my tubal ligation. Pathology did come back with adeno and mulitiple fibriods. I was stunned. He didnt say anything about ca just to keep up with my yearly paps.. I had never heard of this before until he mentioned it being the cause of my pain.. havent had any pain since...
Unread 07-31-2005, 04:51 PM
Adenomyosis?

I had a LAVH on July 6 for adeno. I had one successful pregnancy at the age of 23 (was 41 at time of surgery). Several miscarriages after 30. I too was wondering if adeno was cause.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register