Anyone tried The South Beach Diet? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Eating Right for Wellness

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone tried The South Beach Diet? Anyone tried The South Beach Diet?

Unread 08-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Anyone tried The South Beach Diet?

Hi, I am 4 weeks and 4 days post op (LSH&BSO). I bought the south beach diet book today and I am going to start it tomorrow. I have always been a yo-yo dieter. I have tried several fad diets, diet pills (prescription and non-prescription) and I have had a hard time keeping the weight off. I usually eat pretty healthy but I have noticed that since my surgery, all I want to do is eat. I am on the Ortho-Evra patch for my hormone replacement therapy. The high dose of hormones is required due to my age-I'm only 28. I think the patch may be why I am so hungry, I am craving carbs like I used to did when I was PMS'ing. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has tried this diet and how well does it work? I have to return to school (I am an x-ray tech student) in a couple of weeks and I want to lose these extra pounds before I go back. I only told a few people of my surgery but I am sure that word will travel fast among the younger students and I don't want to go back packing around this extra 10-12 pounds ( I went up a whole size in pants and 2 in tops because of the thickness of my arms). I am open to any other suggestions if anyone has any.....But I am really interested in this south beach diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2005, 05:29 AM

I have bought some of the SBD food products, and they are goood! I know people who have been successful with the SBD, but they have also implemented an excercise program. Of course, you will not successfully lose weight, and keep it off, unless you are also excercising. Once great thing about SBD is that they have their own line of foods. They're not too expensive. And they taste great. Good luck!
Unread 08-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Toodle,
You are still very early post op. It can take the body awhile to settle down following surgical menopause. It is not unusual to see some changes as your body adjusts. I would caution you against trying to lose too much weight too soon, 10-12 pounds in a two week time frame is alot. Your body needs all the energy it can get right now to recover from surgery.

It is unusual for those of us in surgical menopause to be using birth control as our hrt. Yes, it does contain a higher estrogen level, but more than most of us need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Hi Toodles! A couple of years ago, when my DH was going to have his 3rd foot surgery, I knew I wanted to be better prepared w/what I would cook for meals and have as snacks for him. My sister had told me about the SouthBeach diet book for she was working on losing post-baby delivery tummy. My DH has been fighting a major weight gain for a few years. While bed-bound, and depending on me to bring the food etc, he lost 16 pounds, with no exercise. The first two weeks were difficult, since that is when you are going through the "re-programing" phase, but honestly, it's a great Diet...not just for weight loss, but for a life style. I made it a point to read the book...not just go for the menus, and for the first time, I really got a true understanding about glycemic index, etc. Because of the knowledge I gained from the SBDiet, I've enjoyed being a "better" and smarter eater and snacker than ever before. Good luck, and Good Health!
Unread 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have decided that the SBDiet isn't really for me because meat and cheese aren't really what I like to eat anyway. I am more of a fruit, vegetable, grains type person. I bought two different SBDiet books to figure that out, though...lol. Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board, counting calories and measuring food,,,lol.
Unread 08-09-2005, 07:28 PM

I bought Dr. Agatston's Sough Beach Diet book and I think we misunderstand the principle behind his theory. I spent 2 weeks and 2 weeks only eating veggies and meats, nuts and fats. That is to get the refinded carbs out of your system. Refined carbs are those that are bad for us --white flour and potatoes, processed foods, fast foods and so on. After that 2 week period I started adding back in the good carbs--brown rices, whole grain breads, cooking with olive oil and so on. Its about eating the right foods, not just loading up on meat and fat. My cholesterol is now under control --no more meds,--and my HBP is coming down. Even DH and DS eat the same foods now!!
Unread 08-10-2005, 12:43 AM

The SBD is not a bad way to start, but as ((KimM)) said you want to be careful about starting up a diet so soon after surgery.

The important thing with SBD is the combination of the foods - - which all ties in to the Glycemic Index. Now diabetics have known about this for years -it is nothing new, but the latest books are touting it as "the revolution" in dieting... it is nothing more or less than eating foods in the right combination and quantity to control how much sugar gets into your blood stream and at what rate.
The goal is to not have peaks and lows, because that is what pushes you to have food cravings. I got "The Low GI Diet by Jennie Brand-Miller" and found that her book gave me a much clearer idea about the GI than the SBD book did.
Also, the SBD has a lot of cheese in the menus, and I while I love cheese, it is hard to find decent low fat cheeses in Europe, and I have a cholesterol problem anyway!
The Brand-Miller book offers menu plans, discusses how to balance your food, AND gives exercise instructions. She makes it perfectly clear that diet alone is not going to help you - exercise is a key factor.
While I liked a lot of the SBD menus and suggestions, I found that they involved a lot of work.

As the others have said, working with the GI concept and exercise, you develop "life" habits, and you aren't "on a diet". I think that psychologically that helps.

good luck!
Unread 08-10-2005, 07:22 PM

I've been on sbd and it's become my lifestyle, but I haven't done phase I since I started. I vary between phase ii and phase iii and occasional bursts of "phase iv" (that is, stuff not on the diet!).

I don't eat a lot of meat--I just make sure there's about 3-4 oz. of protein with every meal and most snacks. Most of my plate is salad and veggies. I have whole grains at breakfast but no pasta and rice etc. later in the day. I have fruit for dessert most nights--with a dab of yogurt or with diet jello or the ricotta pudding. Mostly, I don't have the high glycemic empty carbs and boy do I feel better.

One thing to remember is that he's a heart doctor. The results for me have been much better stats for all the heart things. And many of the changes experienced in menopause bring on metabolic syndrome X--a kind of pre-diabetes. As noted a lot of SBD advice is familiar to anyone around diabetes. Good carb, good fat, low saturated fat, adequate protein.

Phase I is a bit of a gimmick--it works, but it does distort a bit what the long-term diet is and how it works for life. Anyway, I think there's a reason that the Atkins food products line is filing for bankruptcy and SBD is still on the best seller list. It's more doable for the long haul and so word of mouth stays high.

No diet is for everyone, but I'm not a big meat eater and going on ATkins years ago made me really sick, but SBD has become part of me.

hope it helps,
Trish
Unread 08-11-2005, 07:38 PM

Hey Toodle,
I started the South Beach Diet on Easter Sunday. (End of March.) I had lost a total of 30+ lbs before surgery on June 3rd. I lost another 10 lbs immediately following surgery, and then nothing for about 8 weeks. I'm just now starting to lose again, at 10 weeks post-op.

I agree with the person who said it's more than just loading up on meats and fats. The RIGHT foods make all the difference. I love the SBD...it has saved my life for sure. I am more than half way toward losing my goal of 80 lbs. I never went on a diet before, and I was surprised at how easy it was after my body got into the swing of it. But I also agree with the Sister who said you should probably wait until you are further along in your recovery to start any diet.

You are an Xray tech student? Aaahh, I remember those days. I graduated Xray school in 1993. Now I am doing mammography. Good luck with your education, and your recovery!
Unread 08-11-2005, 08:41 PM

It is all about eating the RIGHT foods and the nice thing about it is that you can ask your doctor if you should give this diet a whirl and they will probably KNOW something about it! My doctor recommended it to me. I started SB twice, not having luck on it the first time I tried it. The second time I tried it, I did Atkins induction for 2 weeks and then went into phase 2 of SB. So far, I have lost 52 pounds on SB (I started in mid April). Because I had an emergency hysterectomy on the 28th, I didn't eat for close to a week because I was so nauseaed between the effects of the general and the small amount of morphine I used for pain. When I finally did start eating, it had to be food I was interested in and unfortunately that was *white* sorts of food (white food =bad )bland things like toast, rice and so forth. I still have bouts of nausea at times when I overdo, but when I am released from the doctor next week(?), I hope to get back on the system. Even though I feel like I could get back into my walking regimen, she really doesn't want me to go into walking frenzy like I was doing. My concern is between the hysterectomy and going off my diet (I have stayed rather stable only losing and gaining the same 3 pounds, thankfully) that I will start putting the weight I took off back on, when in reality, I want to take at least 50 more pounds off.

SB is really a good diet and it is much better than Atkins health wise, although I know a lot of ppl that have lost enormous amounts of weight on Atkins. The only reason I went on Atkins induction is that it really helped my hunger levels. I had no problems doing phase 2 on SB after that. The new SB cookbook has some interesting suggestions for new meals, but basically all you need to do to get you started is xerox a copy of the allowed foods listings and use your imagination. Low carbing HAS worked for me and many others. If you could see some of the people on the low carb group I belong to, you would be amazed!

Sharon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register