Do you always get a morphine pump in hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you always get a morphine pump in hospital? Do you always get a morphine pump in hospital?

Unread 08-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Do you always get a morphine pump in hospital?

DO you always get the morphine pump button? i am so afraid of the post op pain. my mom had cancer and was dying of it and it always toook a nurse forever to get to her- i liked it when they had a button on her so she could get morphine on demand. jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM

AbidingInHim: I didn't get a pump and if I had gotten one, I would not have had as many complications! Ask before hand! The nurses were late on my meds the day after surgery and did not get them to me until I was in so much pain I was dry heeving. That caused a blood clot to come loose so I ended up with massive enternal bleeding that set off a chain reaction of complications and let me live in the castle for 10 days, not drive for 6 months, tests right and left, two cardiologist, a neurologist and you don't want to know what all! So, ask if you can have a pump and then use it! If you can't have one, ask for pain meds early and keep pestering the nurses so you get them on time!
Unread 08-02-2005, 06:37 PM

I asked my surgeon what pain management I would have when I woke up, and he told me to talk to the anesthesiologist.....I guess he was the one that decides that question, or at least he was the one for mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2005, 06:39 PM
get what you want

its been 2 weeks now for me and i am doing great! but it wasnt that way in the hospital...i had a pump and it made me sooooo sick and loony...i finally demanded it be turned off...it was giving me meds every 10 minutes (no wonder i was so sick) when they finally turned it off and then gave me the control whether i wanted to push the button or not, well i didnt push the button anymore because i wasnt in that bad of pain and i figured the sick,loony feeling was way worse!!!! that morning they finally listened to me and called the doc and he gave me the darvocet i asked for to begin with and within an hour i was up walking the halls....feeling like a new person...if they had just listened to me to begin with and changed my meds, that night would have gone a lot differently...so just demand, yell, scream...get the nurses to listen to you...if you dont feel right...make it known...good luck good healing
Unread 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM

you can also request an epidural w/ your GA and they leave that in for the 1st 24 hrs for pain relief. just another option. But definitly ask if you want a pump, tell your doc why and also your anesthesiologist. Make sure they are on the same page, sometimes docs forget to tell each other stuff, advocate for yourself. Angela
Unread 08-02-2005, 06:48 PM

At my pre-registration appointment at my hospital, my pre-op nurse told me I would have a PCA pump filled with Demerol, which would be dispensed ONLY when I pushed the button. When I requested the pump be shut off and my IV removed 24 hrs after surgery, I asked the nurse who removed it if about the medication, and she confirmed that I only received Demerol when I pushed the button. I know some hospitals use Morphine, some Demerol, some Toradol. I'm sure there are others, but those are the three I remember reading about on here.
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM

I am 13 days post-op my TVH, with keeping my ovaries. I'm very glad I did it and have no regrets. I can tell you that all-n-all everything went much better than I ever expected!!

I did discuss post-op medications with my doctor on my pre-op visit. He was wonderful about respecting my wishes to NOT have morphine. He gave me Demerol and Toradol via PCA pump, which only dispensed medication when I'd push the button and within the allotted time frame due.

I strongly recommended that you discuss your wishes with your physician! I'm sure you will get what you are requesting or something comparible. I do have to mention thou, that my surgery was at 10:30am and because I was not so drugged, I was able to get-up and walk around about 4:30 pm and was actually DISCHARGED that same night. But, I'm an RN so the MD knew me also. But, the medication is certainly something you want to discuss with your physician!

TVH: fibroids, adenomyosis, uterus enlarged to 4-5 month preg., other minor cysts ~ TVH: July 20th it's over!
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM

AbidinginHim, it seems like more often than not the sisters here have had a pump delivered pain med immediately after surgery. I had mine for 24 hours, which I think is pretty common. But definitely ask, might as well not take anything for granted.

I actually had dilaudid instead of morphine. I have a tolerance to codeine, which I think is a derivative of morphine, so I think they wanted to give me something different.
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:58 PM
morphine pump

my intital dr ordered one they have controls on them so you don't over do it...I did not like the morphine as gave me a headache I had a vaginal hysterectomy and told the dr the morphine was not agreeing with me my consulting dr said he does not order morphine for vaginal surgery an they gave me some drugs in my IV which were really good
I did not have any prep at all or diet for my surgery I wonder if someone did not fill me in...I was to have adominal surgery to start...
Unread 08-02-2005, 08:13 PM

No pump for me. I had an LAVH and received shots of Demerol alternating hips every three hours without fail. I never had to ask for pain meds (I was not in a hospital. I was in a surgery center and had a private room with one on one nursing so that probably made a big difference.) I also received Torodol via IV twice to help with swelling. I was up and moving by mid afternoon (surgery was at 7:40 or so, doc was late). I had dinner sitting up in a chair. I was released before noon the next day.

Let your doctor know your fears. The two of you can work out what's best for you. I was horribly frightened of the pain but for me, it wasn't as bad as my laparoscopy and hysteroscopy six weeks prior.

Good luck and take care.

Lori

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register