Upsetting Symptoms | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upsetting Symptoms Upsetting Symptoms

Unread 08-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Unhappy - Upsetting Symptoms Upsetting Symptoms

Hi all. I had my TVH/BSO/TVT done at the end of November, and all went well (or so I thought). Since then, a trio of symptoms has been bothering me:
1) Light bleeding and cramps. In the spring, my urogyn removed what she and her fellow said was a stubborn stitch, then treated me with silver nitrate. That worked well... for a while. Now I have light bleeding again.
2) Recurrent UTI symptoms, once with blood in the urine and apparent infection (hospital cancelled culture after they gave me antibiotics). 2X had strong burning, urgency, etc., and cultures showed no UTI. Family doc has ruled out vag infection, FYI.
3) Constipation and very small, hard stools. Bloated, somewhat tender belly. Urogyn wants me to have colonoscopy. Scheduled with gastro doc for end of month. Have rectocele starting, according to urogyn. That's weird, because I understood that I had one before the surgery (had to splint, etc.) Doctor says it "resolved" when the uterus was removed?
I'm really afraid that my TVT mesh is eroding! Also, since I have had an intestinal obstruction in the past (following surgery for burst appendix), I am frightened of adhesions and obstruction. Any similar experiences and learnings would be welcomed. I see the urogyn again Thursday, and I would like to be "well armed" with info and good questions. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Upsetting Symptoms

Except for the bleeding, I had similar symptoms after my simple TVH last October. No doctor could really help me or explain it. I have chalked it up to the organs moving around or getting bruised during the surgery. I went on the IC diet, started taking herbal remedies for bladder health, and also went on a high fiber diet, not eating anything that would constipate, plus lots of fruit, and a bran/prune juice/apple sauce mixture I learned about on this site (after trying lots of other methods to reduce constipation which gave me stomach aches). I also go to an acupuncturist, and the problems seem much better. I'm not perfect, by any means, but a heck of a lot better.
Unread 08-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Upsetting Symptoms

Thank you for the good input! Your reply is reassuring. My family doctor had said something similar about the urethral pain possibly being related to healing/positional changes in the organs. I've been drinking prune juice, and I'm starting back on Metamucil therapy for the bowel issues. The bleeding, though light, is still a bit disconcerting. I keep thinking, "What if it wasn't a stitch they pulled out? What if the mesh was already eroding?" It doesn't help my confidence that the doctor commented on how dim the exam light was that day! My two appointments will tell the "rest of the story," I guess.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register