endometrial cancer and pre-cancerous cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial cancer and pre-cancerous cells endometrial cancer and pre-cancerous cells

Unread 08-03-2005, 04:29 AM
endometrial cancer and pre-cancerous cells

My doctor said that I have endometrial hyperplasia. She didn’t mention simple, complex, atypia, etc. She did mention “pre-cancerous cells”.

She gave me two options: hysterectomy, or treatment with Provera. The Provera treatment would be conditional on the favorable outcome of an endometrial biopsy after using it for several months. I asked if endometrial ablation would be an option, and she said no because we couldn’t be sure it would kill off all of the pre-cancerous cells.

I first thought I would just have the surgery and be done with it. Then I thought – do I really want surgery if I don’t have to have it? What about the risks?

I have been using the Provera for about 9 months and I am about to go in for my first check-up endometrial biopsy to see if the treatment is working. One thing I am concerned with though is that if it appears to be working, how can we be sure that all pre-cancerous cells have been eliminated? The biopsy can’t possibly sample every part of the uterine lining.

From the posts I have read here it sounds like many doctors are saying that if there are any pre-cancerous cells, it is safer to just take everything out. Is that the experience others have had? I am scared of surgery, and the aftereffects, but I also don’t want to not have surgery if it is safer for me in the long run.

I am curious about what others have heard about endometrial hyperplasia and pre-cancerous cells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM

Hi CLP - I recommend that you consult an oncol/gyn if you haven't already. I'm also a little surprised that your doctor has let you go 9 months without a repeat biopsy. The first gyn I went to was doing biopsies every 3 months and I had no atypical cells (also transvaginal ultrasounds to check the thickness of the lining of the uterus since that is a sign of hyeprplasia even without bleeding).

Of course better than an endometrial biopsy which only takes a small sample of a couple locations is a D & C which should take out the entire lining. Surgery and complete removal of the uterus and pathology on that is the only definitive assessment but of course there is no reversing the surgery.

Please keep us posted on your progress and your decision. Good luck.

Mary
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:18 AM

Hi CLP

I hope you get great results on your biopsy.

I have the same question as Mary, why a biopsy after 9 months...For me it was every 3 with a few Ultrasounds thrown in as well. Although, I am Megace (high dose progesterone) not provera.

I was diagnosed after a biopsy with Atypia complex hyperplasia and then had a D&C with confirmed an early stage of endometrial cancer.

I opted (since my husband and I do not have children yet) to try the Megace instead of a hyst. right now.
So far I have had good results. Last biopsy showed no signs of cancer or precancer. I had to do 3 more months, so mid Sept we will biopsy again to make sure I still show to be cancer free.

But, from what I learned and read and have been told is these treatments for "Hyperplasia" and even early cancers of the endometrial lining...alot of times come back once your off whatever treatment you were using to reveres it. This is not always the case from what I have learned. But it is believed to be Estrogen Driven and if our bodies go backto producing the estrogen as it was before the treatment...I can only assume it would be a matter of time before this happened again. Please consult an Oncologist regarding all of this of course. These are just some of my findings and understandings of this.

I hope all works out for you & wishing you get results on your upcoming biopsy.

Tricia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 06:43 PM

Hi, I have endoi cancer stage 1A I asked if I could try progesterone treatment rather than TAH/BSO asI am 'only' 37 and have been ttc for 5 years and am desperate to have at least one child...I wouldn' t mid if I eventually had to have the TAH/BSO after having a child if necessary, but my consultant told me I don't have progesterone receptive cancer cells so he said there's no point in even letting my try progesterone treatment, I have however read differing views on this and just wondered if you both know if your cancer cells were progesterone receptive or not ?
Thanks
Sam
Unread 08-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Sam - Hi - I did not have cancer or even atypical cells - just hyperplasia. I do not know if my cells were progesterone receptive or not but I was treated with Megace (synthetic progesterone) for 7 months and the hyperplasia went away but I had vaginal atrophy so the doctor took me off. 3 months off (no periods) a repeat ultrasound showed a thickened lining and a repeat biopsy showed complex hyperplasia but still without atypia. I switched gyns (and consulted two ocol/gyns) and opted for a second D & C which I had in March 05. Now I am on no meds and am being watched (will have another ultrasound and biopsy in Sept). I'm also 56 and in perimenopause so my situation is completely different than yours.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.

Mary
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:42 AM

Hi Sam

I was not "Tested" to see if my cells would respond to the progesterone or not. Unless, they tested the little biopsy pieces...and didnt tell me..but I dont think that is how it works.

I had a D&C (after the initial biopsy) cancer was confirmed and I was sent to the Oncologist who also viewed my slides, gave me an exam and then told me I was going to be treated with Medication 1st (megace) and I had an 85% chance of the Megace working.
He did say I was a candidate for Megace but I think that was only based on the stage and my age.

Are u see an Oncologist?

Please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck
We are here for you

Prayers & positive thoughts being sent your way

Tricia
Unread 08-05-2005, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia73
Hi Sam

I was not "Tested" to see if my cells would respond to the progesterone or not. Unless, they tested the little biopsy pieces...and didnt tell me..but I dont think that is how it works.
When they tested my cells to see if they were receptive, they used the biopsy from my first D&C. It's called staining, I believe, but that's how it's done. My onc. told me that if mine weren't receptive, I couldn't do the hormone therapy because it wouldn't work then.
Unread 08-17-2005, 08:56 AM

I finally had my follow-up biopsy. First glance, the doctor thinks the Provera is not taking care of the hyperplasia. But she says we will have to wait for the test results to be sure.

She did tell me that this is simple, not complex, hyperplasia – but with pre-cancerous cells. She said that she wouldn’t expect to see any cancer develop unless I just went untreated for several years. Even so, the only options she’s given me are the monthly Provera, or TAH.

I’ve been scared of having surgery, and just put off even thinking about it. If the Provera isn’t working, I guess I won’t have to decide – it will be decided for me. Maybe that’s for the best.

I hate the idea of the surgery, but I guess I won’t miss the cramps, backaches, etc., etc., etc.
Unread 08-17-2005, 02:46 PM

Hi CLP - I will be praying that your biopsy results come back good. I know it takes about a week for the results and the waiting is the worst part. How have you been faring on the Provera? Have you been bleeding much? With the Megestrol it really screwed up my bleeding and at the end of 7 months I was bleeding a little every day for 3 months and I had vaginal atrophy that is why the doctor took me off the meds.

I don't want to confuse you any more than you are already but you can try Googling Simple Hyperplasia and you will get lots of hits. That was how I learned most of what I did.

Hope all goes well - please keep us posted.

Mary
Unread 08-17-2005, 06:11 PM

Hi CLP,
I am sorry that your condition apparently is not responding to the current medication. May I ask if your doctor is a gyn/onc? If not, particularly since you have been told you have pre-cancer cells, you may benefit from, at least, a consultation visit with a gyn/onc.
Please let us know how you are doing.
s, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register