IBS symptoms after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IBS symptoms after hysterectomy IBS symptoms after hysterectomy

Unread 08-04-2005, 08:59 AM
IBS symptoms after hysterectomy

Has anyone developed IBS after having their hysterectomy? My intestines have not been the same since surgery.. All types of test CT scan, MRI, ultrasound and bloodwork have been OK... next will be a colonoscopy..... anyone else with IBS problems months down the road....?

Thanks
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM

Kim,
I had IBS before the surgery, but had been doing much better. About a year or so after my surgery I really started to have MAJOR stomach problems. I had all the tests, which most of them came out inconclusive so I was again labelled IBS. I'm still not convinced that these problems I am currently having are IBS, but once you get that diagnosis, it tends to follow you.

If you do have IBS, keeping a food diary can be very helpful. I found that certain foods would trigger my symptoms. Yeast, eggs, dairy products, all made things much worse for me. If you can find your trigger foods and stay away from or limit them, it can help to keep symptoms to a minimum. Stress plays an important role in IBS symptoms also. Mimimizing stress and learning how to deal with it can also help.

Good luck! I hope your test comes out okay.
Unread 08-04-2005, 05:23 PM

cpolcyn, Yes mine also started after the hyst...It was about 2 years after! after my hyst I had gained about 20lbs. well I had my 2nd bladder revision with many complcations I ended up loosing that 20lbs and have never been able to regain it due to the chronic dirrea! I did have a colonoscopy and the was the diagnosis. I have heard alot of the sisters saying they were diagnosised after the hyst! It really makes you wonder doesnt it? Take Care Netty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 08:43 PM

((Kim)) I'm sorry you're dealing with these symptoms

I've had IBS for as long as I can remember: even as a child, I remember the tummy aches and the awful constipation. Since my hyst, the symptoms have been much worse: Not only is the constipation/diarrhea cycle much worse, I'm now also dealing with bowel spasms that have been linked to IBS.

As (((Kim))) mentionned, keeping a diary has proven a terrific help: not only does it help me identify triggers (which could be anything from a change of diet, new meds, stress... or even the change of seasons), it also helps doctors diagnose and treat the symptoms.

When my symptoms go so much worse after my hyst, my OB/GYN attributed it to the bowels and uterus because close. Furthermore, the bowels tend to fill the space vacated by the uterus. For those of us who have issues, it can lead to the symptoms we've been dealing with.

Lots of s.
Unread 08-05-2005, 05:59 AM

Thanks for all the information on IBS... My bowels spasm more upon waking in the morning and symptoms improve after I have a BM, but alot of time my intestines are tender and achy. My stools are fairly normal and I do NOT fluctuate between constipation and diarrhea.. and have never had mucus in my stools..... but certain foods can trigger instant diarrhea, and stress makes it worse also... so I am finding things that do trigger symptoms..

thanks again.

Kim
Unread 08-09-2005, 08:02 PM

About three months after my surgery I began to experience occassional loose stool. Then it became more regular, three diffrent times I had my stool tested for bacteria and parasites all negative finally, I tested positive for "C-Diff" a bacteria that is commonly picked up from a hospital stay after surgery. This showed up almost 6 months post my surgery! Please ask you doctor to test you for this. The test for this is not real acurate but I was fortunate that that my doctor kept testing me over and over again. My symptoms are loose stool, stomach pain, chills, body temperature changes. Please look into this. I'm still on very potent antibiotics for the past three months to try to get rid of this. Jeanne
Unread 08-12-2005, 10:21 PM

I have had IBS for 19 years. Did the whole testing thing and was given belladonna for the spasms.worked so-so. I also kept a food diary and did better avoiding those foods. But I have been almost symptom free since I started taking a probiotic. It's a suppliment found at any health food store and it's made of a number of the same friendly bacteria found in the colon that can be compromised by antibiotics, stress, trigger foods. It worked great for me. Will let you know how it works post hyst.
cindi
Unread 08-13-2005, 07:06 AM

Thnks Bleu for the information.. I have tried the probiotics also.. and found they helped with calming intestines and stopped diarhea.... I just haven't stayed on them faithfully.

thanks for the reply.

Kim
Unread 08-13-2005, 08:03 AM

kpolcyn: yep, IBS after hyst. Mine is being attributed to endo on my bowels walls! It is not fun! I have a perscription that doesn't help much but I have added more fiber to my diet, drink more water, cut out a lot of fast food and most green vegetables (salad KILLS me) and it is helping. My best friend takes an over the counter fiber med every day and it helps her. When I have a spasm, I have back tracked to see what I had ate and have eliminated what I think affects me! Stress makes it much worse but moving to an island has not been an option for me! Also, since I have my ovaries, my IBS is worse when I am cycling because it feeds the endo on my bowel walls.

Hope you find ways to make you feel better! I empathize with you! Best Wishes!
Unread 08-13-2005, 09:26 AM

Can IBS cause you to feel exhausted and thirsty all of the time? I have diarrhea every day especially in the mornings. I can eat something and 3 minutes later I'm rushing to the bathroom. Is this IBS?

Never had these symptoms before my TAH/BSO. Had a colonoscopy before my surgery and they didn't find any problems.

Miserable in Chicago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register