bowel issues | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-04-2005, 09:34 PM
bowel issues

Hope someone out there can relate to this and offer some input. Surgery 12/03 and now faced with possible diverticulits. Went for followup with gyn last week, and experienced major pain in abdomen during internal exam. Literaly came of the table! CT scan with contrast ordered for following day, results- diverticulitis. Now a colonoscopy. Has anyone else had this happen. Endometrial cancer was diagnosed in 2003, stage 1- nothing after hysterecompy, just followups every 3- months. Now this. Is this common? Have had bowel problems since surgery, but nothing that I couldn't handle. Any input would be appreciated.
Toni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 11:25 PM
bowel issues

I had some bowel problems several years ago, and when my doctor did a rectal exam, I nearly came off the table. I had a colonoscopy, and it turned out that I had a few hemorrhoids. There are still times today my rectal area feels like it is on FIRE, but I think I have found out what is causing my trouble. I am a popcorn fanatic. After surgery, I only wanted soup. During my 5 weeks post-op, the only time I have had "fire in the hole" (ha) is the one time when I ate popcorn. So, no more popcorn for me! If you end up with diverticulitis, be sure to follow your doctor's diet and eat LOTS of fiber. I hope you feel better soon!
Rene
Unread 08-04-2005, 11:43 PM
bowel issues

Do you actually have diverticulitis, or were you diagnosed with diverticulosis? Diverticulitis (infection of the diverticula) usually causes extreme symptoms and the patient usually requires hospitalization, along with very strong antibiotics; in extreme (my stepsisters BF just went thru this in Jan--had part of his colon removed and was hospitalized for 3.5 weeks..symptoms came on suddenly w/o any prior problems) and recurring cases, the infected portion of the colon is usually removed. Diverticulosis (pouches within the colon) usually doesnt cause symptoms--if so the symptoms are usually mild--and is only the precursor, if you will, to diverticulitis.

With all of that said, I too have diverticulosis. My symptoms included (include) mild soreness in the colon area (LLQ), and a general "dont feel well" state, though its never been extreme. I brought my symptoms to my Dr's (gyn) attention 1 year after my hysterectomy (this is when the symptoms started) and a CT scan was ordered. It clearly stated on the report "diverticulosis" however my Dr didnt inform me. A few months later (12/2004) my GP ordered a colonoscopy and diverticulosis was confirmed. The GI Dr told me to eliminate seeds and nuts from my diet and to increase my fiber intake. He also prescribed a medication, however I never filled the script; I seem to be doing fine with the diet.

From my understanding a colonoscopy shouldnt be done if the patient is suffering from the actual infection. You might want to double check this and your diagnosis prior to undergoing the test. It is OK to have the exam if diverticuLOSIS is being R/O and no infection is suspected.

From what I've been told diverticulosis is fairly common, especially in people over 35 and moreso in women. It goes undiagnosed unless the patient is symptomatic and appropriate tests are performed.

Re: the colonoscopy---not sure if you've had one done before, however the worst part of the procedure is the bowel cleansing the day before. Its VERY thorough so be prepared to stay at home NEAR A BATHROOM for the entire day. (i was still in need of a bathroom the morning of the procedure and made good use of the Dr's facilities up until the time I was taken into the exam room). I do remember some pain when the scope was being directed around the affected area of my colon; the Dr ordered more Versed and from that point on I dont remember anything until it was over.

Hopefully some of this info helped. If I can be of anymore assistance feel free to post. Otherwise have an uneventful procedure and let us know how it all turns out.

Stay well
diana
PS..you get photos of your exam if you ask your DR..cool!..haha..I have mine--4 color photos on a 4x6" card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2005, 08:47 PM
bowel issues

Thank you for your insight. I was diagnosd with diverticulosis, not itis, as well as a inflamation of the bowel. Just finished seven days on antibiotics. Is the cleansing and worse than the cleansing needed before the hysterecomy surgery? That wasn't to bad! I've never has the best eating habits, mostly coffee and maybe lunch and still managed to put on 35lbs since my surgery 12/03. I can't seem to take it off and the boobs- need I say more, have grown 1 1/2 cups sizes and 3 inches around. I can't stand it- they re seen comng before me!
It wasn't that long ago that I osted that I had lost 25 lbs after surgery and felt good while others were talking about the weight increase, something I could never imagine.
The bowel issue concerns me, as I don't have regulatir and sometimes feel vry bloated, even if I haven't eaten much if anything at all.
Does any one if I will know the outcome of the colonoscoy after it is completed, or will I have to wait for the results. I hate the waiting game.
I'm sure everything will be OK, but then again, no one suspected endometrial cancer either, so you can only imagine how my mind is working.
Unread 08-05-2005, 09:15 PM
bowel issues

Umass,

I am so sorry for the problems you are going through.

I think I had go have a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist to find out the results of my colonoscopy. I was still pretty doped up when I left his surgery center, so I don't remember much about it. Someone else MUST drive you home.

The cleaning out for the colonoscopy was a LOT more invasive than what I had to go thru for my hyster. My hyster involved an enema the morning of surgery. For the colonoscopy, I was limited to a liquid diet 2 days before surgery, then the day before surgery I had to drink a bottle of magnesium citrate and follow up with a gallon of Go-Lytely. Of course, after midnight, I couldn't have anything. Most people hate the Go-Lytely. I didn't like it, but I hated the mag citrate worse (to each his own). Here's a secret I learned about the Go-Lytely. It comes in different flavors. The people who have tried the "flavors" said that by the time they get half way thru, they are so sick of that flavor (i.e., cherry or pineapple) that they never want that flavor again in anything. Those who chose the lemon-lime are able to drink 7-up later. Also, my gastro doc said that I didn't have to drink the entire gallon as long as my bowels were running clear when I quit (which usually takes about 3/4 of the jug).

I have been told that now there are pills you can take instead of drinking the gallon stuff. It all just depends on what your doctor orders.

I rarely have bowel problems, but when I do, I use Citrucel. The fiber in it is different than what's in Metamucil. Citrucel tends not to be gassy, while Metamucil makes your BM's and poots stink so bad you will chase yourself off the couch! Citrucel is good if you are constipated or having diarrhea, because it sweeps out your colon, kind of like Roto-Rooting it, and you can "start fresh" so to speak.

I can't give advice on the weight issue because I'm only 5 weeks post-op.

Good luck to you!
Rene
Unread 08-05-2005, 10:23 PM
bowel issues

Like mentioned, the prep prior to a colonoscopy is very thorough. For my hyst I only had to do a liquid diet the day before and an enema the night before. For the colonoscopy I had to drink two 4oz bottles of Phospho Soda mixed with Sprite (one in the morning and one in the evening the day before the procedure)and be on a liquid diet 24 hrs prior to the procedure. It was quite disgusting, and until it starts working--anywhere from 30 minutes to 6 hours after consumption--it makes you very bloated and sick feeling. Once it starts working theres no stopping.

I got the results immediately following the procedure. The Dr went over the findings with me and my husband orally and wrote the findings on paper for me to review when I was more aware (I was still a bit groggy from the anesthesia). I didnt/dont have to follow-up with the GI Dr unless other problems arise.

Dont fret over the procedure. Theres not much to it once you finish the bowel prep--the procedure itself is fairly painless; you'll be under the influence of Versed (or something similar) which will take away most, if not all, memory you might have of the procedure.

stay well
diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register