i'm down to 7 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i'm down to 7 days i'm down to 7 days

Unread 08-05-2005, 06:47 AM
i'm down to 7 days

well today is the 5th. and my surgery is the 12th. my DH took a vacation all this week and we have done some really nice things we went to upstate new york and stayed at a cottage..it was beautiful! i'm really scared about this one.. the DR. says 6-8 weeks recovery time..i can't sit still for an hour..AUGH what am i going to do for 6 weeks????? i don't read,knit, or anything like that! any suggestions??? i'm a very high strung person(note my user name ) i love to garden,swim,work in the yard ect.can i do steps after this surgery? my computer is in my family room in the basement.....
any suggestions would be great! thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2005, 02:14 PM
i'm down to 7 days

Hi:

First good luck...

You will be very tried the first 3 weeks, I had my TOTAL HYST. the day after xmas and I was in hospital for 3 days, then home for 6 weeks...After the 3rd week I felt very good and went out etc..The 1st 3 weeks I pretty much watched tv and read and slept a lot. I'm very active myself and I thought it would be hard but it wasn't...

Also, PLEASE do not drive. I came home on Sunday and drove to the store on Monday with 37 staples in I did not think I would make it home, DUMB,DUMB,DUMB of me, I did not drive for a week after that and then it was just very short trips.

Enjoy the rest...

Julie
Unread 08-06-2005, 07:20 PM
i'm down to 7 days

Hi coffeelover

I hope your surgery goes well. I had the posterior repairs in Jan. The restrictions were the same as for my hyst except no lifting over a gallon of milk for a month instead of two weeks. I never had any type of pain after my surgery. I thought that was great, but now realize it is most likely because I have nerve damage in my vagina. I was very mobile all along. I too am very active. My gyn gave me ativan to try to keep me still, so I could heal. I was too active after my hyst. and caused myself problems.
I was allowed to go up and down steps, but was supposed to limit myself. He wanted me moving around, but not walking miles at a time. LOL I wasn't allowed to drive for two weeks and no baths or intercourse for 6 weeks.You will need stool softeners and fiber as you should not allow yourself to become constipated, because it puts too much strain on you and can cause damage to your repairs.
I think you will do just fine. I was so worried about it, but it was a breeze. I had a spinal with my surgery and was awake for most of it. I was able to talk and joke around with the dr. and anesthesiast.
Good luck and know you will feel alot better before long.
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
i'm down to 7 days

thanks for the support.. i think i'm going to ask the DR. for something to make me "sit" still lol.... wow cant pick up a gallon of milk for a month?? augh boy this is going to be hard... you know when you just want to stop and take a break it's so hard,but when you HAVE to take it easy it's so hard!! i know you mentioned you have nerve damage in the vaginal area,but do you think it hurts really bad???? i don't know why i'm so scared about this one i went thru the hyst, and the surgery after that and wasn't scared,but this one augh i'm scared!
well thanks again for the advice did you get a surgery date for your lap??
Unread 08-07-2005, 03:09 PM
thinking of you

Coffeelover, I am going on vacation the day before your
surgery, I'll be thinking about you and praying for a
resolution, and`a feel good future. I am having these
rectal problems, and I don't know yet what I am going
to do. It seems like women continue to have problems
again from these prolapses. I am going to really think
hard on this, but I can't go for ever like this. For those
of you who have had the rectocele repairs, can you tell
me if there is more than one way to go about it, I mean
the way it is repaired. I understand there is. Any info
on theses rectoceles would be appreciated. Thanks slt
Unread 08-07-2005, 05:34 PM
i'm down to 7 days

coffeelover
Hi again.I am almost positive I have nerve damage there because I felt nothing after the surgery or during my recovery. I also feel very little to no sensation during intercourse. Not fair! Sometimes I get these shooting pains that remind me of a electric current. That is why I think it is nerve damage. I had this going on before my repairs, so don't worry about it happening to you. I know I have something prolapsed or bulging in the rectal or vaginal area when I try to bm. I had to push it in again this evening in order to empty. The uro/gyn doesn't seem to think I have a rectocele again, but I know something isn't right. He said to be sure to get the defecography the colon surgeon has ordered me.
I have heard the repair surgery is quite uncomfortable. I was prepared for the worst. My gyn sent me home with percocets and 800 mg ibuprofen. I didn't use any of it.
Don't be scared. I layed there and chatted with the dr. It was a breeze.It was hard for me to do basically nothing all that time, since I didn't feel anything. Unfortunately I am still dealing with most of the same problems 6 months post op.
I don't have a date for my lapro and tvt yet. I should know by the end of the week.
This week will go by fast and it will be over before you know it.
RELAX
Peggy
Unread 08-08-2005, 05:50 AM
i'm down to 7 days

thanks peggy, i'm sorry about the nerve damage you have that has got to be awful!!! i have noticed that you are from ohio. do you go to the clinic?(cleveland) i'm from ohio as well... small world.. i have been going to the clinic they seem ok,but i'm like alot of women on the message board i'm complacated!! well thanks again for the support let us know when you get a surgery day for the lap.. i'll be thinking about you,, (i sure hope this week FLYS by....)
Unread 08-11-2005, 10:15 PM
i'm down to 7 days

Hi
I live about 45 miles east of Cincinnati. My uro/gyn who is doing my lapro and tvt is the head of the ob/gyn at Good Sam hospital in Cinti. He is also a professor at U.C.He is a internationally well known pelvic floor reconstruction dr. He is actually out of the country this week. I have another appt with him next Wed. to discuss matters with him. I didn't get much time to let him know alot of things about me that I feel is very necessary.
MY surgery date is Sept. 12th at 4:30 at Good Sam. It is supposed to be outpatient,but I feel I could be staying over depending on what he finds. I am ready to get this overwith just like you.
Good luck! I know you are a bundle of nerves right now, but you will be ok.
Peggy
Unread 08-12-2005, 08:48 AM
i'm down to 7 days

Thinking of you today ... I'm sure all will go well. Please let us know how you are when you are up to it.

and

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register