Endo cancer raises risk for colon cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endo cancer raises risk for colon cancer Endo cancer raises risk for colon cancer

Unread 08-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Endo cancer raises risk for colon cancer

Hi Ladies,
I went through TAH BSO for endrimetial cancer last July 04, because I had heard it raises your risk of colon cancer I thought I would be good and get a colonopsy at 52. I rationalized I had had enough last year.
Bad news is I was too late. I had one polyp removed and diagnosed with two cancerous tumors.
Please learn from my delay and get checked.
If anyone has advise or a similar storey let me know.
JTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2005, 04:17 PM

JTL: I am so sorry about your diagnosis. I hope that you have a great doctor and with treatment colon cancer has a very good cure rate.
I was diagnosed with endo in January 2004 and my internist suggested that once you have one abdomenal cancer you should be screened for others. The gastro. dr who did the colonoscopy last November said he never saw a correlation between endo cancer and colon cancer and initially did not want to do the colonoscopy for another 12 years (when I was closer to 50.) My test showed nothing, but I heard from more than one source that we should be more concerned about colon cancer.
Again I am so sorry that you were diagnosed with colon cancer and I wish you the best and keep us updated on your progress
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM

JTL, I am sorry you have this new cancer to fight. Thanks for advising those of us who've had endo cancer that this type of cancer increasess the risk of developing colon cancer. This is the first time I have heard this and I intend to ask my gyn/onc about it at my next follow-up visit.
I also have heard that the cure rate for colon cancer caught early is very good and I will keep you in prayer that the right treatment may be found for you soonest. Pls let us know how you are doing.
s, peggiesue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2005, 04:41 PM

Did any of you have a CT or Pet Scan 3 months out to check for these things?
Unread 08-05-2005, 08:08 PM

As soon as my d and c showed endo ca my gyn ordered a colonoscopy....thankfully it was clear. She said that endo ca and colon ca are related.....I also had a ct scan done during that same time period. My dad had colon ca twice in his lifetime, both times cured with surgical removal of the growths. His tumors stemmed from colon polyps....My brother has had two precancerous growths removed and several polyps, my sis has also had polyps removed....I will be screened every 3-5 years....
Unread 08-05-2005, 09:00 PM

I too had treatment like Chris5. Before my gyn/onc would even do my TAH/BSO for endo CA he wanted a full colonoscopy done. After my colonoscopy was found negative he scheduled my endo CA surgery. And yes, there is a correlation between endo CA and colon CA based on huge actuarial data (lots and lots of statistical information). So we endo CA gals have to be villigent about our colons and breasts! Judy
Unread 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM

I had a TAH/BSO in November for endometrial. I am having genetic testing done to see if I have the gene for hereditary colon cancer. I was 50 with no risk factors, but my family has lots of colon cancer. I haven't had any polyps yet. If I have the gene, my kids need testing at 25 for colon and endometrial. You should ask your Dr.
Unread 08-05-2005, 09:16 PM

I had read that having a family history of colon cancer made you more predisposed to endometrial cancer
Unread 08-06-2005, 02:32 PM

No, I had three month follow ups with internals and paps done.
I was just celebrating 1 year cancer free July 22.
Unread 08-06-2005, 03:38 PM

JTL,
I was diagnosed with colon cancer at the age of 36. My great grandfather and his brother had colon cancer and two sisters had breast cancer. My aunt had uterine cancer. There is a gene that pre-disposes you to colon-uterine-ovarian-breast cancers. Be sure to also follow up with mammograms.

I was lucky in that my colon cancer was contained. All I needed was a colon re-section (no colostomy needed). I did not require any adjuvant therapy. Colon cancer is very slow growing. Chances are, you have had things going on there for a few years. I hope that everything was caught early enough for you. The surgery was very similar to the TAH BSO. My thoughts will be with you. By the way, if you do have children, they should start having colonoscopies 10 years before your diagnosis. My children will need to start when they are 26.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register